X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic UE4 Roadmap

UE4 Roadmap

Update: We've made some changes to the Unreal Engine roadmap. Read all about it here

Today we’ve made our engine roadmap public for everyone to see. This guide represents where our team is spending energy on specific Unreal Engine 4 features to give you a better sense of what’s happening here at Epic.

Our hope with being more transparent in our development processes is that we’ll generate more value for developers working with UE4, both in understanding what’s likely to appear in upcoming releases and also in having more context around how the engine is being built (and a little bit of the why).

As a disclaimer, anything listed in the current version may not actually make it into the engine as planned today; we may run into complications that push out a feature, or we may have reason to stop working on it altogether. Items in our backlog may never see the light of day either, as they are simply ideas we’ve discussed but haven’t yet figured out if or how they would best fit into the engine. While we intend for most items on the roadmap to end up surfacing as estimated, we want to make it clear that there is no guarantee of a feature being added to the engine even if it’s currently listed.

That being said, there are many upgrades and fixes going into the engine which are not represented here. We shipped 100+ improvements in the 4.1 update a month after UE4’s launch, so the engine is rapidly and continually evolving. What we’re sharing is a high-level view of how we are extending UE4 at this very moment and what we plan to do next.

We’re taking a flexible and lightweight approach with the roadmap given that priorities often change and there are unpredictable opportunities that arise on a regular basis. The sweet spot for us seems to be around 3-4 months of planning at any given time, with a few longer term efforts that gently break that rule (our parallel rendering efforts are a good example of that today). As such you’ll see the most detail and confidence on the roadmap for tasks in the next 1-2 months. Entries further down the timeline become representations of our intent today and will likely shift as we finish each month.

We intentionally focus on defining the bigger feature work for our roadmap and leave the details of bug fixing and smaller tasks in our bug tracking software. The engine is quite large these days which means there’s always a tremendous amount being developed, and it can be challenging to meaningfully communicate that work to a broad audience. Our roadmap serves to share the mid-to-high level development efforts in a way that is easy to digest and provides context, especially for those not directly working on a particular area. Trello helps us with this approach given that it’s great for sharing the breadth of a project, and if you try to insert too much detail it quickly bogs down.

This is one step of many we plan to take to build full transparency around our development process. It’s important to us that we’re building what developers want and need to ship their own successful projects, and steps like these will facilitate a better ongoing conversation about what that ends up being.

This is an experiment for us and as such it’s important that we get your feedback on what we’re doing – vote on features you’re excited about, send us comments on things that seem confusing or unclear, and better yet let us know what you think should be on the roadmap that isn’t already.

Thank you for helping us build a better UE4!
    Last edited by Chance Ivey; 04-27-2017, 10:33 AM.

• replied
    Originally posted by Pine722 View Post
    It would be very useful to know what's coming ahead of time however, I think the only reason they aren't letting us know a definite roadmap far in advance is because they don't plan it out that far, they only plan for the next release version but even then it's not fully planned out. Based on the changes I see made on Trello I don't see it being any different than how I've stated it, Epic can prove me otherwise by showing Q2 Q3 Q4 roadmaps in advance that they actually stick to. "Note: These are estimated time frames and are subject to change." They said it themselves even the Q releases are just estimates.
    In some part it's probably true, I guess there are some features which are not finished in time, re-prioritized, etc, so it's very likely they don't have everything laid out for the next 360 days. However, it works well for other Epic Trello boards, like the one for Online Services. They defined short-, medium- and long-term plans, which either succeed in time, fall back or etc. You can't depend on it, but it gives a broad vision on what to expect in the upcoming months / year. Unreal Trello board should work the same way: define current plans, visions and hopes, and dynamically reorganize the board as it becomes clear how these features evolve.

Also, I have seen that there are many new cards for "Done for 4.23", however, most of them are utterly useless. For example, look at this card: https://trello.com/c/Iy1KrbmK/395-up...prints-widgets
    It contains exactly 0 information about what it is. There is no point for cards like this. It's like "Improve Editor" or "Make Unreal Engine better". So generic that it can mean millions of things.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post
    Yeah, agreed, what would actually be interesting to see is what are the plans for 2019 Q2, Q3, Q4, and maybe even better, if for once they would let the community contribute, vote for specific features / bug fixes on Trello, and at least in a minor way they'd consider what the community needs, not just Epic's own games or AAA studios with their own tool and engine programmers.

Yeah, I know I have a wild, childish and surrealistic imagination
    It would be very useful to know what's coming ahead of time however, I think the only reason they aren't letting us know a definite roadmap far in advance is because they don't plan it out that far, they only plan for the next release version but even then it's not fully planned out. Based on the changes I see made on Trello I don't see it being any different than how I've stated it, Epic can prove me otherwise by showing Q2 Q3 Q4 roadmaps in advance that they actually stick to. "Note: These are estimated time frames and are subject to change." They said it themselves even the Q releases are just estimates.
    Last edited by Pine722; 05-17-2019, 10:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you need hire new programmers for new level editor
    https://2ch.hk/gd/src/567728/15575878785830.jpg
    how about this roadmap?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Chosker View Post
    Ah sorry, did not see that. But it is not unusual to have not all upcoming features listed on this trello board.

Anyway, the main point of a "roadmap" is actually not fullfilled with this board.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, I feel you

The thing is the community is so huge. Having open discussion about any big system would become a mess. Personally I wouldn't know to grasp it.
    Usually tool developer targets "proven" customers, studios that stand out and ask them for feedback.

Although... it would always possible to hire guy who talks to community and monitors discussion to recognize "trends", what are often expressed needs. Ironically, you'd have to put experienced developer so he could understand what people actually mean.

That's quite interesting challenge.
    For comparison, I don't think that Unity listens to community. They hired experienced guys (often AAA veterans), they came and said "Seriously, modern engine needs this and this". And that how they work for last 2 years.

On the other hand, Houdini is example how it could be done. They set up their development in such way they even publish daily builds with fixes/updates to the last Houdini release.
    I have no idea how to compare development of Houdini with game engine which so complex piece of software.
    Last edited by Doctor Ergot; 03-01-2019, 06:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post
    UE4 is designed from ground up for small and medium-size studios, just think of Blueprints or any kind of tool which gives a power to designer/artist. Material editor, Niagara, Sequencer, Animation blueprint, tons of tools. None of these could described as "done for Epic games or AAA only". UE4 gives you a lot of flexibility, you're able to create very different games. Which available engine allows you for so much without buying plugins and even opening IDE like Visual Studio? It's the last engine I would complain "I need programmers here".
    I'm not saying it's not a great tool for indies. Otherwise we wouldn't be here
    However, I do believe that while bigger studios' needs are probably heard, we, single developers, are not. Or not as much as some of us would prefer.

Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post
    Public voting for features is terrible idea as it assumes that multi-billion project (development of UE4) should take seriously voting on public board where any enthusiast would vote on like 50 cards/features that actually don't need in current project, but he thinks it's cool feature. I did it myself, now I see it was pointless.
    The votes could just show a basis for demand, which features would actually be used by the community. But of course I didn't put hours of thought into it, I have no specific love for feature voting, I only would like the community needs to be heard. The platform is not the point.

To be clear, I'm not saying anything like "Epic doesn't care". What I'm saying is, as a single indie developer, I feel I have 0 power to influence the development of the engine. That's all. Personally, I think the roadmap could have actual discussions for each improvement proposal, and Epic could decide based on their own preference and the community's feedback what to improve.
    Now, I'm not saying Epic should entirely rely on what John, 13 from Kuala Lumpur tells them ("I want a custom gravity system !!!"), but I believe some collaboration might be helpful for both the engine and the community.
    Last edited by KristofMorva; 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post
    not just Epic's own games or AAA studios with their own tool and engine programmers.
    This is actually a common misconception. Please, don't take personally, I see such statement quite often and I think it's invalid.

Big chunk of AAA studios won't use Unreal because they have enough manpower to build tech for their games (EA, Ubisoft, CD Projekt, Sony internal studios). Yes, UE3 was developed with biggest studio in mind, with license costing like half a million dollars upfront and for first person shooters. Sadly for Epic, biggest guys in industry decided to ditch Unreal Engine and develop their own engines.
    Epic had to adapt and expand its reach. UE4 can be used by ambitious hobbyists who could create entire game without ever touching C++. Of course, it would be composed of messy blueprints and such hobbyist would encounter many limitations. It doesn't mean it's an AAA engine...

Small and medium-sized studios rarely even hire a rendering programmer.
    UE4 is designed from ground up for small and medium-size studios, just think of Blueprints or any kind of tool which gives a power to designer/artist. Material editor, Niagara, Sequencer, Animation blueprint, tons of tools. None of these could described as "done for Epic games or AAA only". UE4 gives you a lot of flexibility, you're able to create very different games. Which available engine allows you for so much without buying plugins and even opening IDE like Visual Studio? It's the last engine I would complain "I need programmers here".

Obviously, you would need to hire programmer if you'd like have a new tool with new UI. It's the same for every other engine. What else would you expect?
    Although... 4.22 actually adds basic way to create editor tools in UMG. Still... people would say "stupid release, I don't need ray tracing, Epic doesn't care"....

"AAA game engine" are built with specific kind of games in mind i.e. open worlds, action-heavy multiplayer game, etc. Trust me, if you never worked with older Unreal generation or in-house engine like The Witcher engine. UE4 cares about small and independent studios a lot, engine is designed for needs of very different games and studios.

Public voting for features is terrible idea as it assumes that multi-billion project (development of UE4) should take seriously voting on public board where any enthusiast would vote on like 50 cards/features that actually don't need in current project, but he thinks it's cool feature. I did it myself, now I see it was pointless.

Often people don't realize that some cool features would require re-writing huge part of engine in order to satisfy a relative small amount of games, i.e. custom gravity direction. In effect we had plenty complaints like "Custom gravity got 200 votes, why it hasn't been implemented yet? Epic doesn't care!",

Yes, Epic partially prioritized Fortnite while developing engine for a long time. We all should remember that...
    - I can't think of any feature or system in UE4 which could be used only by Fortnite. Please point such feature, if you see any.
    - This strategy pays off, now they reinvest Fortnite income into engine's development.
    - We all benefits from Fortnite developments, we got battle-tested engine. Epic knows how to build designer-friendly, artist-friendly tools - they use it to produce their own games. Meanwhile Unity needed years to implement very basic system of "nested prefabs" and its networking system sucks, nobody wants to use it.
    - Many important engine tools started as tool prototype for Epic's games, i.e. Niagara, Gameplay Abilities.

Robo Recall has been created as VR test.

That being said... I totally agree we should have a proper roadmap. Currently browsing GitHub changelists is the best way to get updates on future releases. It sucks. Information is there, but nobody want to provide it for us.

PS Keep calm and learn to love Fortnite
    Last edited by Doctor Ergot; 02-28-2019, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, agreed, what would actually be interesting to see is what are the plans for 2019 Q2, Q3, Q4, and maybe even better, if for once they would let the community contribute, vote for specific features / bug fixes on Trello, and at least in a minor way they'd consider what the community needs, not just Epic's own games or AAA studios with their own tool and engine programmers.

Yeah, I know I have a wild, childish and surrealistic imagination

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe he meant "roadmap for future", not the summary of implemented features which can be found everywhere in internet now

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LeFxGuy View Post
    VictorLerp Also for example nothing of the raytracing efforts are reflected on the current roadmap. Still thanks for the bigger update
    but they are: https://trello.com/c/e8fFZvWh/372-re...d-path-tracing

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, it's still not a roadmap. More like a log of already implemented features.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    VictorLerp Would be cool to have an extended view in what is planned in the future. Also for example nothing of the raytracing efforts are reflected on the current roadmap. Still thanks for the bigger update

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post
    I'm happy to inform you that the roadmap has been updated, and we're improving our efforts to keep it up to date. We appreciate all the feedback, and will keep you posted on our progress with shipping new features and improvements.
    Thanks!!!

Wow, a lot of under-the-hood changes.. I can't wait to see full release notes

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm happy to inform you that the roadmap has been updated, and we're improving our efforts to keep it up to date. We appreciate all the feedback, and will keep you posted on our progress with shipping new features and improvements.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X