• Show
Clear All

So, the roadmap is officially dead now?
    Guido Lein
    Technical Artist - LeFx www.lefx.de

Comment

Originally posted by LeFxGuy View Post
      So, the roadmap is officially dead now?
      I'd say if there is nothing new on it well after GDC 2019, then yeah, pretty much so.

Comment

Well, the road map should be looking a bit further ahead then 1,5 months and should be updated regularly but sure, lets see. I also dont like that there is no more submit/commit-recap on those github merges so you cant even read up on new stuff via Github
        Guido Lein

Comment

Well, the road map should be looking a bit further ahead then 1,5 months and should be updated regularly but sure, lets see. I also dont like that there is no more submit/commit-recap on those github merges so you cant even read up on new stuff via Github
          Well, it's total transparency as Tim Sweeney talked about many times .... /s

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post

Well, it's total transparency as Tim Sweeney talked about many times .... /s
            yeah 0 opacity
            Nilson Lima
            Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
            Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
            supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

I'm happy to inform you that the roadmap has been updated, and we're improving our efforts to keep it up to date. We appreciate all the feedback, and will keep you posted on our progress with shipping new features and improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post
                I'm happy to inform you that the roadmap has been updated, and we're improving our efforts to keep it up to date. We appreciate all the feedback, and will keep you posted on our progress with shipping new features and improvements.
                Thanks!!!

Wow, a lot of under-the-hood changes.. I can't wait to see full release notes

Comment

VictorLerp Would be cool to have an extended view in what is planned in the future. Also for example nothing of the raytracing efforts are reflected on the current roadmap. Still thanks for the bigger update
                  Guido Lein

Comment

Yeah, it's still not a roadmap. More like a log of already implemented features.
                    ArtStation

Comment

VictorLerp Also for example nothing of the raytracing efforts are reflected on the current roadmap. Still thanks for the bigger update
                      but they are: https://trello.com/c/e8fFZvWh/372-re...d-path-tracing
                      Follow me on Twitter!
                      Developer of Elium - Prison Escape

Comment

Maybe he meant "roadmap for future", not the summary of implemented features which can be found everywhere in internet now

Comment

Yeah, agreed, what would actually be interesting to see is what are the plans for 2019 Q2, Q3, Q4, and maybe even better, if for once they would let the community contribute, vote for specific features / bug fixes on Trello, and at least in a minor way they'd consider what the community needs, not just Epic's own games or AAA studios with their own tool and engine programmers.

Yeah, I know I have a wild, childish and surrealistic imagination
                          Engine Contributions: GitHub
                          Polars (WIP): Development Blog, Facebook
                          Marketplace: Viewport Utilities, Blueprint Streams

Comment

Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post
                            not just Epic's own games or AAA studios with their own tool and engine programmers.
                            This is actually a common misconception. Please, don't take personally, I see such statement quite often and I think it's invalid.

Big chunk of AAA studios won't use Unreal because they have enough manpower to build tech for their games (EA, Ubisoft, CD Projekt, Sony internal studios). Yes, UE3 was developed with biggest studio in mind, with license costing like half a million dollars upfront and for first person shooters. Sadly for Epic, biggest guys in industry decided to ditch Unreal Engine and develop their own engines.
                            Epic had to adapt and expand its reach. UE4 can be used by ambitious hobbyists who could create entire game without ever touching C++. Of course, it would be composed of messy blueprints and such hobbyist would encounter many limitations. It doesn't mean it's an AAA engine...

Small and medium-sized studios rarely even hire a rendering programmer.
                            UE4 is designed from ground up for small and medium-size studios, just think of Blueprints or any kind of tool which gives a power to designer/artist. Material editor, Niagara, Sequencer, Animation blueprint, tons of tools. None of these could described as "done for Epic games or AAA only". UE4 gives you a lot of flexibility, you're able to create very different games. Which available engine allows you for so much without buying plugins and even opening IDE like Visual Studio? It's the last engine I would complain "I need programmers here".

Obviously, you would need to hire programmer if you'd like have a new tool with new UI. It's the same for every other engine. What else would you expect?
                            Although... 4.22 actually adds basic way to create editor tools in UMG. Still... people would say "stupid release, I don't need ray tracing, Epic doesn't care"....

"AAA game engine" are built with specific kind of games in mind i.e. open worlds, action-heavy multiplayer game, etc. Trust me, if you never worked with older Unreal generation or in-house engine like The Witcher engine. UE4 cares about small and independent studios a lot, engine is designed for needs of very different games and studios.

Public voting for features is terrible idea as it assumes that multi-billion project (development of UE4) should take seriously voting on public board where any enthusiast would vote on like 50 cards/features that actually don't need in current project, but he thinks it's cool feature. I did it myself, now I see it was pointless.

Often people don't realize that some cool features would require re-writing huge part of engine in order to satisfy a relative small amount of games, i.e. custom gravity direction. In effect we had plenty complaints like "Custom gravity got 200 votes, why it hasn't been implemented yet? Epic doesn't care!",

Yes, Epic partially prioritized Fortnite while developing engine for a long time. We all should remember that...
                            - I can't think of any feature or system in UE4 which could be used only by Fortnite. Please point such feature, if you see any.
                            - This strategy pays off, now they reinvest Fortnite income into engine's development.
                            - We all benefits from Fortnite developments, we got battle-tested engine. Epic knows how to build designer-friendly, artist-friendly tools - they use it to produce their own games. Meanwhile Unity needed years to implement very basic system of "nested prefabs" and its networking system sucks, nobody wants to use it.
                            - Many important engine tools started as tool prototype for Epic's games, i.e. Niagara, Gameplay Abilities.

Robo Recall has been created as VR test.

That being said... I totally agree we should have a proper roadmap. Currently browsing GitHub changelists is the best way to get updates on future releases. It sucks. Information is there, but nobody want to provide it for us.

PS Keep calm and learn to love Fortnite
                            Last edited by Doctor Ergot; 02-28-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post
                              UE4 is designed from ground up for small and medium-size studios, just think of Blueprints or any kind of tool which gives a power to designer/artist. Material editor, Niagara, Sequencer, Animation blueprint, tons of tools. None of these could described as "done for Epic games or AAA only". UE4 gives you a lot of flexibility, you're able to create very different games. Which available engine allows you for so much without buying plugins and even opening IDE like Visual Studio? It's the last engine I would complain "I need programmers here".
                              I'm not saying it's not a great tool for indies. Otherwise we wouldn't be here
                              However, I do believe that while bigger studios' needs are probably heard, we, single developers, are not. Or not as much as some of us would prefer.

Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post
                              Public voting for features is terrible idea as it assumes that multi-billion project (development of UE4) should take seriously voting on public board where any enthusiast would vote on like 50 cards/features that actually don't need in current project, but he thinks it's cool feature. I did it myself, now I see it was pointless.
                              The votes could just show a basis for demand, which features would actually be used by the community. But of course I didn't put hours of thought into it, I have no specific love for feature voting, I only would like the community needs to be heard. The platform is not the point.

To be clear, I'm not saying anything like "Epic doesn't care". What I'm saying is, as a single indie developer, I feel I have 0 power to influence the development of the engine. That's all. Personally, I think the roadmap could have actual discussions for each improvement proposal, and Epic could decide based on their own preference and the community's feedback what to improve.
                              Now, I'm not saying Epic should entirely rely on what John, 13 from Kuala Lumpur tells them ("I want a custom gravity system !!!"), but I believe some collaboration might be helpful for both the engine and the community.
                              Last edited by KristofMorva; 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM.
                              Engine Contributions: GitHub
                              Polars (WIP): Development Blog, Facebook
                              Marketplace: Viewport Utilities, Blueprint Streams

Comment

Yeah, I feel you

The thing is the community is so huge. Having open discussion about any big system would become a mess. Personally I wouldn't know to grasp it.
                                Usually tool developer targets "proven" customers, studios that stand out and ask them for feedback.

Although... it would always possible to hire guy who talks to community and monitors discussion to recognize "trends", what are often expressed needs. Ironically, you'd have to put experienced developer so he could understand what people actually mean.

That's quite interesting challenge.
                                For comparison, I don't think that Unity listens to community. They hired experienced guys (often AAA veterans), they came and said "Seriously, modern engine needs this and this". And that how they work for last 2 years.

On the other hand, Houdini is example how it could be done. They set up their development in such way they even publish daily builds with fixes/updates to the last Houdini release.
                                I have no idea how to compare development of Houdini with game engine which so complex piece of software.
                                Last edited by Doctor Ergot; 03-01-2019, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X