Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any plans to make Datasmith and Unreal Studio available on Mac? I do a lot of ArchViz for work and mostly had to work with whatever plugins I could find that worked with SketchUp. Seeing the announcement for Unreal Studio and subsequently experimenting with what I can do in just a standard 4.19 project has me excited for the possibilities at my disposal, but as I'm on a Mac I can't experiment with Unreal Studio nor make use of any .udatasmith files co-workers on 3DS Max would be able to send me.

Comment

Moved question to archviz dev thread, as it was more relevant there....
      Last edited by Rob Wu; 03-27-2018, 05:27 AM. Reason: wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by Bogdan MATA View Post
        Guys any plans to get ride of VS? Is sooooooooooooo slooooooooooowwwwwwwwww, and instable
        Maybe support some other editors, which are better (like text editor) By the way, I'm very happy with Notepad++ too
        VS isn't being used as an editor for Unreal. It's a compiler. And UE allows for other compilers to be used if they are installed (at least one other anyways). So, no, Notepad++ is not an option as it is ONLY an editor and not a compiler. The reason VS seems so slow is, because it's a compiler, it must do much more background work before opening especially dealing with system security.

Comment

We need 2D game optimization

Comment

I really don't agree with your decision to turn the roadmap (as in the future) into a list of "what we've done in the past & present" with a few upcoming features that can't be voted on.

I just visited the roadmap for the first time since I have been back (was gone for a year) and was disappointed by what I found. I was so surprised by it I thought I was on the wrong Trello page and started searching for the old one only to find it is gone. I don't understand how you can say this is an improvement over the old roadmap. Just like the new bug submission form this removes Epic->community and community->Epic feedback, discussion, and/or voting from the process. It might make things easier for you guys but for us both of these changes are the opposite and leave us more in the dark than we were in the past.

You know I love you guys but there have a been a number changes I've come across over the past few weeks that feel more like a step backwards for the community as a whole, rather than improvements.

/rant
            Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
              I really don't agree with your decision to turn the roadmap (as in the future) into a list of "what we've done in the past & present" with a few upcoming features that can't be voted on.

I just visited the roadmap for the first time since I have been back (was gone for a year) and was disappointed by what I found. I was so surprised by it I thought I was on the wrong Trello page and started searching for the old one only to find it is gone. I don't understand how you can say this is an improvement over the old roadmap. Just like the new bug submission form this removes Epic->community and community->Epic feedback, discussion, and/or voting from the process. It might make things easier for you guys but for us both of these changes are the opposite and leave us more in the dark than we were in the past.

You know I love you guys but there have a been a number changes I've come across over the past few weeks that feel more like a step backwards for the community as a whole, rather than improvements.

/rant
              Kalvothe can you send this up the chain please and get a dialogue going?

Comment

Voting on the old roadmap was only a false promise. It never influenced the engine development. And I can't imagine how this system could work, to be honest.

Development shouldn't care about Trello votes where any random person could log in and add +1. What does it event mean? Vote of single person? Professionalist or hobbyist? A company? Studio of few guys? 30 people studio? Maybe plug-in developer?
                How this vote is important for person who voted? How would interpret it? A must-have feature? Or "I just read it and I like it"? Or "I won't need for my game, but it would be nice to have in the engine"?

Even if votes would be considered seriously, still it would be just one of tens sources of information for developers. But community would insist that something with lot of votes on Trello is the most important thing to do. And that's quite ridiculous assumption.

Revamping roadmap only removed this false promise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Dev View Post
                  Voting on the old roadmap was only a false promise. It never influenced the engine development. And I can't imagine how this system could work, to be honest.

Development shouldn't care about Trello votes where any random person could log in and add +1. What does it event mean? Vote of single person? Professionalist or hobbyist? A company? Studio of few guys? 30 people studio? Maybe plug-in developer?
                  How this vote is important for person who voted? How would interpret it? A must-have feature? Or "I just read it and I like it"? Or "I won't need for my game, but it would be nice to have in the engine"?

Even if votes would be considered seriously, still it would be just one of tens sources of information for developers. But community would insist that something with lot of votes on Trello is the most important thing to do. And that's quite ridiculous assumption.

Revamping roadmap only removed this false promise.
                  I understand where you're coming from and even agree to a certain extent, but it provided a small yet not insignificant communication line between us and the devs. Even if it didn't help it's chances of being created, we were letting Epic know what features are important to us. It's the closing off of various communication lines without reopening them in some other way that I find concerning, not so much the fact the roadmap is gone.

Edit: As far as the roadmap goes why not reset votes every month so that the votes are always representing the features that the community is interested in currently. That could help them make decisions on where to prioritize if they have the time to work on it, and would provide them with the ability to create charts that would detail community sentiment over time. Could even group by category (rendering, core, persona, etc) to allow plotting which areas of the engine the community would like to see improvements in the most at that moment.
                  Last edited by DotCam; 06-10-2018, 10:12 PM.
                  Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                    I totally agree with this. Right now it doesn't serve the purpose of a roadmap at all. It only shows what's already done and has a vague & out of date 'future releases' section.
                    VIMEO channel | Artstation profile

Comment

it's a roadmap alright. it just shows the road behind and not the road ahead

(p.s. a voting system is not a requirement for it to be considered a roadmap)
                      Help me back! follow me on Twitter
                      Developer of Elium - Prison Escape

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                        it's a roadmap alright. it just shows the road behind and not the road ahead
                        Here's some good roadmap example, wish Epic could be as transparent.
                        Artstation
                        Join the support channel
                        Gumroad Store

Comment

I don't share your enthusiasm

Most of featuresis on the Development list aka "Nobody knows when or if we get these features". Exactly like old Unreal roadmap.
                          Or mythical features of Unity roadmap - "nested prefabs" was there for years and it meant nothing.

On CryEngine roadmap we got nice information about upcoming Summer release. It's quite similar to 4.20 list on Unreal's Trello.

Of course, I'd like to see more items on "Future releases" list. It would be extremely useful if items would have info like "It could be done for 4.21, but there's risk you'd have in 4.22". Otherwise it's useless. I can't plan or assume anything if features are simply listed on some wishlist.
                          This list on roadmap hasn't been updated for few months...
                          Last edited by Cheshire Dev; 06-17-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

On CryEngine roadmap we got nice information about upcoming Summer release. It's quite similar to 4.20 list on Unreal's Trello.
                            Cryengine list is giving a rather precise view of what is to come with next engine update.
                            How is that similar to 4.20 list if Epic is only adding cards after the feature is worked on?
                            To be honest the effort they spend on updating UE4 Roadmap is simply a small waste of time, drinking coffee can be more productive. Because at the end of the day they post the new features list in the forum threads with every new engine preview build. One does not need to look at roadmap to read the same thing twice.
                            Artstation
                            Join the support channel
                            Gumroad Store

Comment

So everything what put on Development list comes in the next update?
                              I'm asking becauses there's a lot items that sounds like big systems that would require a longer period of development.
                              Examples: in-game UI pipeline, new cinematic pipeline, big world editing, collaborative editing, physics editor, node graph for shaders, general Linux suuport.

I don't know CryEngine, hence the confusion

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
                              How is that similar to 4.20 list if Epic is only adding cards after the feature is worked on?
                              To be fair, Epic did put things they worked on for 4.19 and 4.20 a long time ago. Items like Niagara, material layers, Vulkan, Python scripting.
                              No updates for "future releases" anymore. That sucks. Tru dat.

Comment

So everything what put on Development list comes in the next update?
                                5.5 is out.
                                5.6 is next release. Everything they're going to be working on for it is already listed there since the start, they only mark them finished/delayed/at risk. (It's pretty much all green atm with a few A.I features delayed).
                                Dev is future releases.

Back on topic, I think it's either Epic decides to work on features on the fly without any proper planning, hence, they can't put much on roadmap. Or, upcoming features are for some reason so super secret they don't intend to reveal as they start working on them, Or, they don't have someone populating the roadmap properly, adds cards whenever they remember to add cards, Or, ... I don't know. None of it makes sense but they're operating somewhere along those lines and that is what it is.
                                Artstation
                                Join the support channel
                                Gumroad Store

Comment

Working...
                                X