This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrei Branescu View Post
    I am VERY dissapointed with the change made to the Roadmap.

I really don't understand why you would change a system that was working well, unless it was done on purpose..

If you wanted people to not visit the Roadmap anymore, you've managed to do that. I, for one, don't visit it anymore as there's no useful info in it.

As others have said, that's not a Roadmap!

If somebody is listening, please do something about this. I'm starting to lose faith in Epic..
    Unfortunately you are right.

I see too many bad signs of something going on that is not right regarding Epic Games overall here with UE4.. too many bugs in the code, delays on the marketplace, less employees replying to questions and so on.
    I really hope Epic Games is not going to be sold to some other group due to financing issues all of a sudden like it keeps happening to many bigger and smaller companies in the IT industry which might be a nightmare for anyone like me developing a project with UE4 and spending money on the marketplace for assets because a new owner could easily shutdown everything or change license terms and anything else...rarely it happens that things become better and the worst case scenario mostly applies.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
      Initially the new roadmap was supposed to be updated once a month but since edits to the Roadmap are happening on a more random basis would it be possible to also write the updates here on this thread as well? So we wouldn't have to take a look now and then and try to see what's added/removed/edited.
      You could also subscribe to Trello board. AFAIK it sends e-mail notification every time something important happens on the board
      Notifying about everything here simply means a double work, maybe it's better to minimize amount of "paperwork". Forum topic isn't the best place to track the changes, Trello is great

Originally posted by DarkS474 View Post
      too many bugs in the code
      You can say it about every game engine. Publicly available or in-house engine. There are always bugs, too many of them. Actually if you check amount of bugs fixed with every release:
      4.10 - "only" 10 pages of issues fixed
      4.12 - 27 pages of fixes
      4.16 - 50 pages of fixes
      There's no preview for 4.17 yet and I see 29 pages of bug fixes

Bug reported by my friend was fixed in 3 days. https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-46669
      Developers respond really quick if this is possible. Usually it's not physically possible, nobody is sitting idle, waiting for bug reports. We can't expect fast and direct communication all the time. But it happens sometimes

And I love new roadmap because it really shows what developers are working on. For contrast, we can see "nested prefabs" and "visual scripting" on Unity's roadmap. And nobody knows if these features ever gonna be implemented in Unity. Such roadmap is misleading roadmap.
      https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

It's really doesn't make sense to talk about "financial issues and nightmare" after making assumption like " there are too many bugs in the code"
      Last edited by Moth Doctor; 07-12-2017, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkS474 View Post

I see too many bad signs of something going on that is not right regarding Epic Games overall here with UE4.. too many bugs in the code, delays on the marketplace, less employees replying to questions and so on.
        I really hope Epic Games is not going to be sold to some other group due to financing issues all of a sudden like it keeps happening to many bigger and smaller companies in the IT industry which might be a nightmare for anyone like me developing a project with UE4 and spending money on the marketplace for assets because a new owner could easily shutdown everything or change license terms and anything else...rarely it happens that things become better and the worst case scenario mostly applies.
        Epic, financial issues? Have you seen the top games on Steam? Epic is making 5% on all of those... I highly doubt they are having any issues concerning their finances.

teak
        "A little bit of nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men..."
        -- Willy Wonka

Smooth Zoom Camera Plugin for 4.24 here.

Comment

Hello,

What's up with the "Arbitrary orientation/gravity directions for characters"??

This card was there for years on the old trello roadmap and had the most votes, now I don't even see it anymore.

Any chance Epic finally releases the feature in a near future?
          Last edited by Beauk; 07-16-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beauk View Post
            Hello,

What's up with the "Arbitrary orientation/gravity directions for characters"??

This card was there for years on the old trello roadmap and had the most votes, now I don't even see it anymore.

Any chance Epic finally releases the feature in a near future?
            No. After 3 years it should be completely obvious that they don't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeblote View Post
              No. After 3 years it should be completely obvious that they don't want it.
              Too bad

Comment

All these launcher cosmetic updates, and not a single one from the list right here.
                Epic, I find your lack of common sense disturbing. My respect for you fades progressively.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
                  Initially the new roadmap was supposed to be updated once a month but since edits to the Roadmap are happening on a more random basis would it be possible to also write the updates here on this thread as well? So we wouldn't have to take a look now and then and try to see what's added/removed/edited.
                  Hi Maximum-Dev, apologies for the delayed reply here. kjustynski mentioned it already, but subscribing to the Trello board would be the most effective way to receive roadmap updates as soon as they go live. In addition, you can subscribe to lists and individual cards that are of special interest to you. Check out details on Trello's guide here to learn more.

On that note, we've just completed another round of updates. Head on over to the roadmap to check it out!

Comment

Just started to learn Unreal after using Unity for 10+ years. At the moment, I think the coordinate system should change to match Unity (which is same as OpenGL), meaning Y axis is up and Z is forward.
                    At least the coordinate system should be configurable since many people prefer different.

Also, C++ coding should be less instrusive, get rid of all the UFUNCTION macros etc. Is is better that the programmer hooks into the engine than the engine hooks into your code.

Comment

Originally posted by cflodihn View Post
                      Just started to learn Unreal after using Unity for 10+ years.
                      Hey, warm Welcome!

I think the coordinate system should change to match Unity (which is same as OpenGL), meaning Y axis is up and Z is forward.
                      Z-Up vs Y-Up, the solution to the debate lies within...
                      When there is two possible choices, neither will satisfy everyone. We should ask Unity to change to match Unreal since Unreal was already well established long before (please don't feed the troll

Also, C++ coding should be less instrusive, get rid of all the UFUNCTION macros etc.
                      See this answer correctly pointing to Unreal Header Tool / Unreal Property System (Reflection)

Cheers!
                      [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
                      UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.14-beta for UE4.23 - (v1 integrated by default since UE4.7)
                      UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin 1.4.6 for UE4.23 - (integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.24)

Comment

Just started to learn Unreal after using Unity for 10+ years. At the moment, I think the coordinate system should change to match Unity (which is same as OpenGL), meaning Y axis is up and Z is forward.
                        No way! Z up is way more logical, no reason to copy a worse solution just because you've gotten used to it over 10 years.

Comment

I was wondering if card order in Future Releases section of roadmap actually indicates the priority of the features.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrey View Post
                            I was wondering if card order in Future Releases section of roadmap actually indicates the priority of the features.
                            No, order within a column does not imply priority.

Cheers,
                            Michael Noland

Comment

Hello,

Is there an update for Mixed Reality Support? The Spectator Screen looks like a promising first step towards great MR using Unreal Engine! I'm hoping to control the spectator screen's viewpoint by having it assigned to a Vive Tracker/Controller that is connected to a camera in real life. It looks like that support is described on the "upcoming" builds but any info as to when it's coming? 4.18 or more like 4.52? Thanks!

Comment

We need the OLD BLOOM and TONEMAPPING back! It completely destroys our game that would be other wise few months from release now, and we also need Nintendo Switch support. You promised customers that you will bring new tools to achieve old "unrealistic" bloom. It's not on the roadmap.

Comment

Working...
                                X