Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was very disappointed in see the old trello site vanish, gone was all the voted features to look forward to and an idea, a large in the future idea of what UE4 was going to contain, now I have shiny pics of what there is, and not really much else. It looks like a magazine ad, not a road map.

Comment

Why not just remove the trello completely? The current one just adds work to your personnel without any real benefit to community.

Comment

This is not a roadmap, this is a roadmap. The old trello board was way better.

Comment

Here are some examples of your competition understanding that a roadmap is supposed to show the future, not the past:

https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap
          https://www.cryengine.com/roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by Zeblote View Post
            Here are some examples of your competition understanding that a roadmap is supposed to show the future, not the past:

For a company as broke as Crytek, that roadmap... what are you doing epic?
            Artstation
            Join the support channel
            Gumroad Store

Comment

Wow so many toxic people in this forum.

The engine's open source for god's sake, do you want to help? Go help, learn to code, implement whatever the hell you're dreaming about.
              Want your own feature? Go write your own feature.
              Whining and complaining will not make anything better, on the contrary it will only demotivate the devs and others.

So far I think UE devs did a pretty amazing job with all these updates and if they changed their roadmap system, it's probably because the new one is easier to manage for them.

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
              For a company as broke as Crytek, that roadmap... what are you doing epic?
              You're forgetting the fact that they delayed all these "on time" features for 2-3 months already, not to forget that they only do 2 major updates per year.

Anyhow, here's a request for UE forums/community:
              How about a reputation system, or even better, temporarily banning people from certain boards so that they stop with these stupid pointless rants ( I'm looking at you Maximum-Dev ).

It simply hurts to read these replies

Comment

I prefer the new roadmap because it's way easier to see what's done and being worked on. The one before had everyone's niche features they wanted and it was hard to know what was being worked on. It was easier seeing that by looking at github commits. The most useful feature of the roadmap for me was the "DONE" tag when features were done for certain engine versions so that's why the new one is basically just as good for me.

That being said it's a bit... sparse at the moment with only 3 features tagged for 4.17 (unless 4.17 is only releasing with those 3) and I also think it could be good to list more longer term features in another category. For example I'm very interested in stuff like Niagara and things like that could be on the roadmap even if they're not targeted for the next version. Another thing that was good with the old roadmap was the information updates in features that were being worked on. This should be a part of the new roadmap too so people who don't read github commits have a way to find out what's happening with the more long term features.

Comment

<reply to Maximum-Dev's deleted comment>

I went through the thread, and I think you and others pretty much got the point across.

However, I agree with RicarDog, roadmaps work better when they don't allow long-term discussions.

Comment

I think the organization of these roadmaps are by far better than what we just got. Unity is Alphabetical. CryEngine is by system type.

But I think there's a bigger issue here that Epic as a company doesn't trust other developers to give it feedback during development which is why things like voting have been removed. But voting, showcasing regular WIP progress on the roadmap + update notes, would help us feel way more involved and personally invested in seeing this thing succeed. We don't want anything bad to happen to Epic or Unreal Engine 4. We want to nurture this ecosystem.

But when we have back and forth's like the ones between Andrew Hurley and Maximum Dev where Max-Dev pointed out that SSS (subsurface scattering wasn't working as intended) and Andrew Hurley argued that was the point as SSS couldn't be properly replicated anyway. I think conflicts like those are regressive and could have been addressed with regular twitter like updates added to the Trello roadmaps regarding the limitations Epic Staff are working with. Ultimately, both sides end up feeling salty. Max-Dev feels like Epic doesn't care about him. The Epic staff meanwhile feel like they are being unfairly criticized for technical limitations beyond their control.

More communication is the answer. Not less. The engine is open source anyway so I don't see the problem with additional notes being added to the roadmap as to how things are coming together. Trust us, we'll appreciate it and the community will be healthier for it.
                    Last edited by ZenDavis; 05-03-2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZenDavis View Post
                      But I think there's a bigger issue here that Epic as a company doesn't trust other developers to give it feedback during development which is why things like voting have been removed.
                      So, they do not trust you to give feedback... Interesting, you are on a FEEDBACK FORUM! There are other ways besides VOTING to give your feedback and help determine the future of the engine... You are doing it now, albeit in an annoying way......

teak
                      "A little bit of nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men..."
                      -- Willy Wonka

Smooth Zoom Camera Plugin for 4.22 here.

Comment

Visual scripting has been on the Unity map for years... How will a roadmap help you in terms of the games / projects you are working on now? Would you slow development until a certain feature is released? Are you just curious? Why is a long term roadmap (in the case of Unity, YEARS for Visual Scripting) important?

teak
                        -- Willy Wonka

Comment

Originally posted by teak421 View Post
                          So, they do not trust you to give feedback... Interesting, you are on a FEEDBACK FORUM! There are other ways besides VOTING to give your feedback and help determine the future of the engine... You are doing it now, albeit in an annoying way......

teak
                          My apologies for not being clear enough. Requesting feedback, AFTER Epic is finished with a system, instead of during development is what my post addresses.

For example they have a new audio system in 4.16. We knew nothing about how that was going to be implemented. If one of us comes up with a much better way of going about audio, but it means Epic has to start over from scratch, that's going to be difficult for Epic to justify and we'll be stuck for years with something that could better implemented.

A great example is the current way UE4 does roads. Implementing Spline Decals requires in some capacity trashing the work that came before it. Epic doesn't want to feel like they wasted resources of course and so it becomes much more difficult to justify adding such a feature set. But if we'd been in the conversation early on when this was being discussed for UE4 maybe Spline Decals would have made it in from the start. In the case of my personal project, this feature would be something that would undoubtedly help speed up development of my project by months.
                          Last edited by ZenDavis; 05-03-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

My apologies for not being clear enough. Requesting feedback, AFTER Epic is finished with a system, instead of during development is what my post addresses.

For example they have a new audio system in 4.16. We knew nothing about how that was going to be implemented. If one of us comes up with a much better way of going about audio, but it means Epic has to start over from scratch, that's going to be difficult for Epic to justify and we'll be stuck for years with something that could better implemented.

A great example is the current way UE4 does roads. Implementing Spline Decals requires in some capacity trashing the work that came before it. Epic doesn't want to feel like they wasted resources of course and so it becomes much more difficult to justify adding such a feature set. But if we'd been in the conversation early on when this was being discussed for UE4 maybe Spline Decals would have made it in from the start.
                            4.16 is not out yet and its May 3rd. There was a stream about the new audio engine back in early Feb. Did you watch that presentation? Did you come to the feedback forum and suggest changes? I know there is a robust discussion about the new audio engine now. Are you contributing to that discussion?

teak
                            -- Willy Wonka

Comment

A great example is the current way UE4 does roads. Implementing Spline Decals requires in some capacity trashing the work that came before it. Epic doesn't want to feel like they wasted resources of course and so it becomes much more difficult to justify adding such a feature set. But if we'd been in the conversation early on when this was being discussed for UE4 maybe Spline Decals would have made it in from the start. In the case of my personal project, this feature would be something that would undoubtedly help speed up development of my project by months.
                              Could you point me to the feedback post you created on the feedback forum? Would like to review and maybe add my 2 cents...

teak
                              -- Willy Wonka

Comment

Originally posted by teak421 View Post
                                Could you point me to the feedback post you created on the feedback forum? Would like to review and maybe add my 2 cents...

teak
                                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post701303

You can see the issues with mesh decals and why Spline Decals should be implemented. Because Epic implemented Mesh Decals, which to be fair was a long time ago, my own personal project is hampered by the number of roads I in my project, and the time investment needed afterwards for the terrain touchups needed to make the look nice.

In the future if the inclusion of such features were more transparent, this wouldn't have been as big of an issue. That transparency could be easily communicated through the roadmap as the features are being created rather than as development winds down. We could weigh the pros and cons of how similar systems in other engines is handled, like how Maximum-Dev does in that thread, comparing CryEngine and Unreal. The alternative is like I discussed before. We're stuck with Mesh Decals with no clue when Spline Decals will be implemented. Roadmap voting would let us get that figured out sooner as well.

If you're looking to discuss how this affects me personally, please send me a PM. After Chance's last couple of messages about fighting, I'm not looking to derail the thread.
                                Last edited by ZenDavis; 05-03-2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X