Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you click on any of the issues I linked? The first one had 37 votes... While the one you linked had 44, its not too far off. Plus, I only went through about 2 pages worth of links...I could have done more, but I thought it was a waste of time. Bottom line, Epic does indeed fix bugs that are highly voted on...do they always fix highly voted, well...no. But, to say they do not fix highly voted on issues is unfair as indicted by the links I gave above.

teak
    "A little bit of nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men..."
    -- Willy Wonka

Smooth Zoom Camera Plugin for 4.22 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
      I'm with you on this one. Getting Epic staff to acknowledge a problem is a true challenge, here's my own:
      https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...driver-to.html (coincindentally it's the same staff member as in Maximum-Dev's SSS problem) - took me 3 months of struggling and providing clear evidence until another staff member chimed in and acknowledged the issue (which he claimed they wanted do fix for 4.13, then was backlogged - 9 months have passed)
      https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-masterpo.html - took me 5 months until he finally got me a dissuading answer based on a performance claim, unacceptable since the feature is in the engine and works in most scenarios. they don't want to fix it because there's a workaround (which has the same performance cost, making the argument invalid)

still trying to get this problem acknowledged btw: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...roblem-in-4-14
      Andrew Hurley should quit if he can't be bothered to do his job. Also important note: Don't call something sub-surface scattering if it doesn't actually do sub-surface scattering.

Comment

This is getting a bit silly.....but.... simply go to issues and click on FIXED and then sort by VOTES. You will see a TON of things fixed that were highly voted on. But, that also works the other way, there are also highly voted on items that are backlogged. Again, its a bummer things are backlogged, but to say Epic doesn't fix highly voted items is not fair. Could they do better? Sure... We all could. But, with limited resources they do have to make some choices. Anyway... Hopefully your issues gets worked on.

teak
        -- Willy Wonka

Comment

Epic doesn't pay me to defend them nor do they need to be defended, but these posts of certain individuals here are just bizarre. UE4 is designed as general purpose engine to suit needs of Epic and partners as far as I understand the concept. Unlike Unity, which is tailored to the likes of all kind of devs, UE is tailored to serve Epic's projects first. So, if you happened to be making something along the lines of what Epic is working on, you should have a way less issues and missing features.

If you have enough money, like Oculus, you could probably partner with Epic to make a project that will encompass all the features you need. Otherwise learn how to enjoy what you are offered for free or use another engine.

I need some features that UE4 doesn't have (or they are half-a$$ed, or broken). It seems common sense for UE4 to have those features, but it doesn't and it won't until Epic or partners need it. I was bitter about it when I started with UE4. Now it just seems obvious why things the way they are and I simply either avoid using those broken/half-a$$ed features, or find a way to live without missing features. Welcome to f#$king real life. Make peace with it and move on.

Comment

We can sit here and argue bug fix priorities all day. At the end of the day, some highly requested things will be skipped, others will be implemented. People need to realize that while the community is great and all, the VAST majority of the community will not do anything worthwhile with the engine and simply want features because they're shiny. Epic will prioritize the needs of huge studios and their own internal teams due to the simple fact that those are much more experienced developers who actually help keep the company alive.

HOWEVER, I do want to contribute on something else. Seeing the posts about "not being able to get Epic to recognize issues" I remembered that I had a very frustrating experience of that same nature too. It went something like this:

"Scaling the landscape even by 0.01 in any direction would cause the generated foliage instance count to increase hundredfold, causing extreme performance drops. This was regardless of foliage layers, material setup, anything."

It was that simple. Yet it took a long time going back and forth and the issue was never acknowledged. Digging back through AnswerHub I noticed that of course, it was AndrewHurley with whom I had the exchange with:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...r-to-load.html

I don't know if this bug is still in the engine as I've stopped scaling my landscapes, but the whole exchange has been frustrating beyond belief. It was very clear that Andrew didn't understand the issue and didn't properly follow the reproduction steps, trying to shift blame on me due to something completely unrelated to the bug I was reporting ("You should sample layers, not have foliage on the whole terrain!").
            [Submitted] Advanced Data Validation

Comment

Originally posted by teak421 View Post
              Did you click on any of the issues I linked? The first one had 37 votes... While the one you linked had 44, its not too far off. Plus, I only went through about 2 pages worth of links...I could have done more, but I thought it was a waste of time. Bottom line, Epic does indeed fix bugs that are highly voted on...do they always fix highly voted, well...no. But, to say they do not fix highly voted on issues is unfair as indicted by the links I gave above.

teak
              Yes I clicked on them. 37 votes is 7 votes less than 44. Obviously votes number doesn't help with the sorting. Also your 33 votes report was created on Dec 9, 2014 and fixed on Mar 2, 2017, even if it was fixed just for the sake of votes, 2.5 year wait is how much a highly voted bug report was valued... I'm not sure if I'd still be here by the time the one with 44 votes gets fixed.
              Last edited by Maximum-Dev; 04-29-2017, 11:55 AM.
              Artstation
              Join the support channel
              Gumroad Store

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post
                It was that simple. Yet it took a long time going back and forth and the issue was never acknowledged. Digging back through AnswerHub I noticed that of course, it was AndrewHurley with whom I had the exchange with:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...r-to-load.html

I don't know if this bug is still in the engine as I've stopped scaling my landscapes, but the whole exchange has been frustrating beyond belief. It was very clear that Andrew didn't understand the issue and didn't properly follow the reproduction steps, trying to shift blame on me due to something completely unrelated to the bug I was reporting ("You should sample layers, not have foliage on the whole terrain!").

Andrew Hurley strikes again!
                Last edited by ZenDavis; 04-29-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
                  Yes I clicked on them. 37 votes is 7 votes less than 44. Obviously votes number doesn't help with the sorting. Also your 33 votes report was created on Dec 9, 2014 and fixed on Mar 2, 2017, even if it was fixed just for the sake of votes, 2.5 year wait is how much a highly voted bug report was valued... I'm not sure if I'd still be here by the time the one with 44 votes gets fixed.
                  That the point! They do get to them... Also, yes... sorting does help... Here's a screen shot...

Click image for larger version

Name:	issues.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	1127083
                  -- Willy Wonka

Comment

[MENTION=106257]teak421[/MENTION], To be fair what's happening is this:

We report bugs, bugs go in two separate categories based on random selection. To-do and Backlogged.
                    To-do bugs get fixed, sometimes the one with more votes is fixed before the one with less votes.
                    The backlogged ones get votes. They stay backlogged for sometimes even a year, the number of votes grow even more than a highly voted report that's on the to-do list, yet the backlogged bug doesn't get the slightest attention, not even clear why it's backlogged.

Anyone reading my posts thinks I'm being negative and looking at the empty half of glass but that's just honestly what we are experiencing.

It's not fair to blame the shortage of manpower if it's a billion dollar company and there's been 8 months, sometimes 2 years passed since a bug report that's highly voted on.
                    Edit: "You" sorted the view based on votes, they don't sort the bugs like that and start fixing from top to bottom.
                    Artstation
                    Join the support channel
                    Gumroad Store

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
                      [MENTION=106257]teak421[/MENTION], To be fair what's happening is this:

We report bugs, bugs go in two separate categories based on random selection. To-do and Backlogged.
                      To-do bugs get fixed, sometimes the one with more votes is fixed before the one with less votes.
                      The backlogged ones get votes. They stay backlogged for sometimes even a year, the number of votes grow even more than a highly voted report that's on the to-do list, yet the backlogged bug doesn't get the slightest attention, not even clear why it's backlogged.

Anyone reading my posts thinks I'm being negative and looking at the empty half of glass but that's just honestly what we are experiencing.

It's not fair to blame the shortage of manpower if it's a billion dollar company and there's been 8 months, sometimes 2 years passed since a bug report that's highly voted on.

Edit: "You" sorted the view based on votes, they don't sort the bugs like that and start fixing from top to bottom.
                      Random selection...? They flip a coin to determine which bugs they work on? Really!? Uh..... How do you know this?

teak
                      -- Willy Wonka

Comment

I'm going to jet... This is getting a bit silly and I'm not helping....

teak
                        -- Willy Wonka

Comment

Originally posted by teak421 View Post
                          Random selection...? They flip a coin to determine which bugs they work on? Really!? Uh..... How do you know this?

teak
                          You are being silly. What he means is obviously that there's no way for us to tell which bugs will be fixed and which will be doomed to the eternal limbo of the backlog. We don't know the criteria nor the selection process. This is reading comprehension 101 and you seem to misunderstand his post on purpose.
                          [Submitted] Advanced Data Validation

Comment

Well yes it's quite random that sometimes your report get's a "solved" mark 3-4 times because they didn't understand the issue, and then after days/weeks of back and fourth and providing evidence the problem is there, "in only a matter of seconds" you see a bug report created with it reading "Backlogged" without any evaluation.
                            Artstation
                            Join the support channel
                            Gumroad Store

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post
                              You are being silly. What he means is obviously that there's no way for us to tell which bugs will be fixed and which will be doomed to the eternal limbo of the backlog. We don't know the criteria nor the selection process. This is reading comprehension 101 and you seem to misunderstand his post on purpose.
                              Ok, true dat... I'll admit, silly. I've tried to be a bit light-hearted here and it doesn't look like it worked.

SO,

I didn't do a search of the forums for this, maybe its there and so it wouldn't be random...but...for clarification: Epic, can you explain how you select which bugs to work on and which ones to backlog? And, once put out there, have people weigh in on it to determine if the team needs to make changes. I'm going to start a new thread, since this is for the feature road map.

teak

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...gged-vs-Fixing
                              Last edited by teak421; 04-29-2017, 01:24 PM.
                              -- Willy Wonka

Comment

I think the staff needs to realize they are directly responsible for the livelihood of others, and I don't think many DO necessarily recognize that. They think that they're working on something cool or that someone complaining is just being mean to them. But you have to look at it from our perspective in that if you imagine that Tim Sweeney said he wasn't going to pay you guys, how quickly you get angry because that hurts your livelihood.

That's the same position you're putting us in in that you're hurting our livelihoods. It's a hurtful move to leave people in the dark for months, to lie to them about when a roadmap is coming, or to blow off their problems and concerns. It doesn't cost you a dime to come here and post regular updates for us. Weeks, months, and years later, we're at a point where that frustration is manifesting itself here on the forums. Saying you're listening is different than talking back. "We hear you" is meaningless without a meaningful back and forth.

The Engineers who feel like they're being unfairly derided, or ridiculed, need to come to grips with the fact that you are literally making people's lives harder for them. This is what being in a position of responsibility is like because when you put out this product called Unreal Engine 4, your company told everyone, "This is going to be able to let you live the life you always dreamed of being able to live" and you accepted that you would be responsible for making that happen.

Then when you don't follow through on those promises, patronize people who request help, lie to others about when a roadmap is coming up, you're obviously going to get treated with ridicule because, again, you accepted that responsibility. The engineers may think they're just doing their own thing and they're collecting their paycheck and going home. But people like Andrew Hurley need to remember that you are DIRECTLY responsible for other people's lives and when you ignore their calls for help, you are being absolutely unprofessional and do not deserve the paycheck you collect. At minimum, everyone who Andrew blew off deserves their problems reviewed. At best, the Epic staff understands the seriousness of the responsibility your executives took when they accepted being responsibile for people's livelihoods.
                                Last edited by ZenDavis; 04-30-2017, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X