Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with "arbitrary orientation/gravity directions for characters". This one has almost the most votes on the trello roadmap board for years now.
    I can remember a forumpost in mid 2015:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...for-characters

where this one guy asked.

Since then nothing has changed , its still in the backlog.
    This is almost becoming an running gag , like Duke Nukem Forever.

Having the gravitation not "hardcoded" in z-axis into the engine would give the developers so much more creative freedom in terms of movement.
    This is probably the most important movement feature they could implement in the engine, but for some strange reason the VR stuff seems way more important to them.

I also would love to see more activity in areas like:

-the level editor (if unity can have something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjqx6cKUepc then i don't understand why unreal can't?)
    -better integration of nvida Flex into unreal engine 4 editor (performance and featurewise) for watersimulations in game
    -more powerful tools for creating large landscapes and vegetation in general.

It seems,at least to me,that they worked for the last 3 years almost only on graphical improvements like better lighting and shadows and on "gimmicky" stuff like VR.But where is all the gameplayrelated stuff. That should be the stuff that matters.
    Last edited by emeraldcoast; 04-28-2017, 05:19 AM.

Comment

I disagreed. If there was at least graphical development. But no. Over past year or two, there was it development in VR department and gimmicky features like VR editor. At least it is from where most steam blow.

In mean time things like open world support rotted to the point where Kite Demo have performance issues on new engine versions.

Now I hat deal with Occulus is done I hope we can get proper core game development back on track.
      https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
        I disagreed. If there was at least graphical development. But no. Over past year or two, there was it development in VR department and gimmicky features like VR editor. At least it is from where most steam blow.

In mean time things like open world support rotted to the point where Kite Demo have performance issues on new engine versions.

Now I hat deal with Occulus is done I hope we can get proper core game development back on track.
        VR is the future. We need more VR rendering and optimization, not less.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post

The VR Editor seems also very "gimmicky" for me. I can't imagine that you can work very efficient and precise in it without mouse and keyboard. Its probably much faster and more accurate in terms of precise object/mesh scale,creating a level in unreal engine 4 editor on your normal 2D display with mouse and keyboard. But i have nothing in general against VR but the technology is just not here jet. You can't run a graphical intense game on 90 frames per second in 4k today, not even with a "nvidia gtx 1080 ti" . Maybe in 3/4 years when a gtx 1370/1470 is twice as powerful as a gtx 1080 and a vr headset costs 500 dollar or less, its affordable for a "normal" customer which buys equipment in the mid range prize section.

P.S: What do you guys and girls think about the nvidia flex integration?
          Wouldnt it be cool to have real time water integration in games in the near future.I cant see those "ugly" waterfalls and rivers with flowmaps anymore . I know that its not the fault of the artist.But flow maps are just not a very efficient tool to generate belivable waterflow.

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
          Yes but not now , its multible years until tech is up for the task.
          Look at all the VR games which are out now, they look just not impresive in terms of graphics.
          Its not the fault of the devs, but its just too early.
          Last edited by emeraldcoast; 04-25-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emeraldcoast View Post
            Yes but not now , its multible years until tech is up for the task.
            Look at all the VR games which are out now, they look just not impresive in terms of graphics.
            Its not fault of the devs, but its just too early.
            Sounds like someone hasn't tried VR in person. I have i3 Skylake and 1060 6Gb, and Robo Recall looks stunning in Rift (and runs smoothly).

Comment

Sounds like someone hasn't tried VR in person. I have i3 Skylake and 1060 6Gb, and Robo Recall looks stunning in Rift (and runs smoothly).

I have tried it in person on the oculus rift.
              I was not impressed at all.But thats only my opinion.
              Im not here to argue against VR in general.
              Im just wondering why VR is so much more important for the ue4 devs at the moment(last 2 years) then gameplay,physics,AI-navigation in 3D environments and level editor features?
              Last edited by emeraldcoast; 04-25-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

It doesn't matter how much improved VR rendering is if the base open world systems are falling apart. Fix the foundations and then work on top of that.
                Last edited by PixelPerfectPolygons; 04-25-2017, 12:23 PM.
                Our Ghosts of War - The World's First World War 2 Survival Game
                Twitter: @ourghostsofwar

Comment

I agree with Pixel, these three bugs have been around for YEARS,

-Content browser does not delete folders or they re-appear....https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-reappear.html

-Arrays of structures has an issue with setting the variables.....https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...uct-array.html

-Child BP get their variables reset....https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-defaults.html

This will continue to plague the engine and its user base until they are fixed. Yes VR is great but at what cost to the core? Now I love the engine and have had great fun developing with it but these must be addressed to have a clean product.

Comment

Retail-wise, VR is still very much niche / aimed at elite gamers / high-end gear.
                    Even those directly involved drop mixed messages from time to time too:1 2 3.

Originally posted by emeraldcoast View Post
                    Im just wondering why VR is so much more important for the ue4 devs at the moment(last 2 years) then gameplay,physics,AI-navigation in 3D environments and level editor features?
                    Clearly part of the push for VR is coming from Epic's strategic partners etc.
                    Seems like a logical extension to projects like this for McLaren motors too...

Originally posted by PixelPerfectPolygons View Post
                    It doesn't matter how much improved VR rendering is if the base open world systems are falling apart. Fix the foundations and then work on top of that.
                    +1... Even Epic's interaction on the forums seems far less than it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
                      Retail-wise, VR is still very much niche / aimed at elite gamers / high-end gear.
                      Niche it is because of lack of PR. Lack of PR is due to lack of the software for VR. Catch-22.

As for hardware, I have i3 + 1060 and everything I've tried so far runs smoothly. That's not a high-end gear. Oculus just recently dropped the bar to 1050Ti. So no, hardware is slightly pricier than reasonable, but not within the reach of many. The issue, like I already said, is with lack of software and lack of PR.

Comment

Niche it is because of lack of PR. Lack of PR is due to lack of the software for VR. Catch-22.

As for hardware, I have i3 + 1060 and everything I've tried so far runs smoothly. That's not a high-end gear. Oculus just recently dropped the bar to 1050Ti. So no, hardware is slightly pricier than reasonable, but not within the reach of many. The issue, like I already said, is with lack of software and lack of PR.
                        If anything VR got too much free PR & couldn't match the hype (as per IoT / AI / Chatbots etc).

Often as well VR devs seem to conveniently forget about the actual cost of the hardware itself..
                        Hundreds of EUR / USD etc, who wants to pay those numbers for what is 1st generation gear???

Look VR is undoubtedly important, but time-frame and device evolution are absolutely critical:

Comment

If anything, VR got wayy to much hype, marketing and investments. There is no single day without news about VR, showing of VR or talking it's next big thing. For gods sake, eve my mum asked me about this VR thing...
                          Yet market verified. It ended up like 3D TVs.

I personally do not see any future for VR it will die off eventually and everyone will forget about it. "Interest" in VR is now bumped artificially by pumping unholy amount of money into it and trying to push it trough people throats as next big thing.

I see better future for AR, but that's even erlier stages of development than VR.
                          https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

VR won't take off (again) because represents detachment from reality, literally.
                            People want and need entertainment, but with solid signs that they're still in control and able to stay attached to reality, be it as bad as may be; it's a matter of social psychology, when something goes too far the masses rejects for no apparent reason (but the reason is there, all individual internally have urge to comply with what society has adopted to be the norm).
                            VR is around since I was a child and much longer than that btw; have never taken off from the uncanny valley, unless the masses see how vr can relate to the normality and reality of their lives, the general public won't accept it.
                            | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Regardless of everyones opinions and predictions about VR, I dont think game engines can afford to ignore it at this stage. The stakes are simply too high if, and it's still a big if, it catches on. For a start it has the potential to be about much more than games, and even if VR doesnt go massive there is AR and Mixed Reality to consider.

It could all fail, but I really dont think companies like Epic have the luxury of sitting on the sidelines until we discover the answers to these questions.

Comment

As for hype, I think it was pretty well acknowledged at the time that some analysts predictions were all wrong and that even if VR is a success in the end the sales of hardware, games and apps would not live up to the hype in the early years.

Personally I dont think the excessive hype actually gives many clues about the medium to long term prospects of VR.

I also find it hard to consider the VR attempts of previous generations to be much of a guide - issues with head tracking, framerate, visual quality etc made the experience a lot more nauseating and far less magical than this generations VR stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X