moving / renaming still completey broken in 4.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roberteker View Post
    EDIT: Apparently you must rename files from within P4V itself, and not from the Unreal Editor:
    No. Don't rename them using Perforce, rename them in the editor. This will create the new file and modify the old file to be a redirector that points to the new file's location. This is needed when you have other assets that reference the old file location so that it knows that the file has been moved. You want to check both the new file and the old modified file into Perforce to rename the asset.

The error you are getting in Perforce (failed after 10 attempts) is because you have the editor or game running and it has files opened. Perforce can't overwrite files that are opened by some other process. Quit the editor or game, then sync to latest in Perforce and you will be able to update the files to the latest version.

Comment

They could at least stop using FArchive to serialize asset references then at least the crashes would stop when someone does something stupid.
      | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by GBX_botman View Post
        This will create the new file and modify the old file to be a redirector that points to the new file's location. This is needed when you have other assets that reference the old file location so that it knows that the file has been moved.
        So what happens when I move an asset a third time? Do I now have two copies that function as references?

What if I move assets 10 times, does that mean I have at least 9 reference copies taking up the space?

Comment

Redirectors are very small (<1KB) so they don't take up space. Run the "fix redirectors" command periodically to remove them - preferably when no one is working on your team, because the redirector fix requires changes to the user assets.

Epic could have a "direct removal" option for single developers who don't need redirectors, but frankly we would just have 1000 "why are my assets broken after moving a texture" posts instead.
          Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

Comment

Originally posted by Gwenn View Post
            Epic could have a "direct removal" option for single developers who don't need redirectors, but frankly we would just have 1000 "why are my assets broken after moving a texture" posts instead.
            Or it could be made so that moving stuff doesn't break things. It's very simple.

1) Get all references to file.
            2) Move file to new location.
            3) Update references with new file location.

This should be the default behavior and redirectors should be optional.

Comment

So how would that work if you move a mesh that's used in every level ? You'll just ask your LD & art team to save and commit their work and wait until you checkout their changes, move the mesh, commit the changes, and then let them resume working ? Even with a small team, that's completely broken. Right now, the process is to move stuff all you want, and do a "fix redirectors" cleanup once a month. It's not broken, it's just meant for teams, not single devs, it's safe and convenient at the expense of a few trivial files.

What I was saying a few years ago on this thread is, Epic could just do away with filenames and work like Unity. But that's probably not a realistic change.
              Last edited by StrangerGwenn; 12-27-2018, 09:57 AM.
              Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

Comment

So if I understand this correctly, if you're using version control (SVN, Perforce, etc) and you want to move a 200MB versioned asset from one folder to another, you have to upload a completely new 200MB file to the version control server?

Not only does that waste a lot of peoples' time uploading files that are already committed, it means you can't trace an asset's history back before it was moved, since your version control software has no idea that the old 200MB file is the same as the new 200MB file.

Coming from Unity, this is atrocious!

Comment

You'd have the same behaviour using Perforce with Unity. It's not engine specific. Not sure why complaining here

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post
                    You'd have the same behaviour using Perforce with Unity. It's not engine specific. Not sure why complaining here
                    Because it's stupid no matter the engine?

Comment

The issue this Fix Up Redirector is unreliable. Even if I import marketplace assets in a new project, and move them around, I will get moving issues, and Fix up can't fix it.

Comment

Redirectors shouldn't exist
                        | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Working...
                        X