glTF 3d asset format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
    Unity and Godot are not DCC tools. Unfortunately Max and Maya aren't supporting glTF.

Regarding Unity - it doesn't have an official glTF support. Only third-party plugin which performs run-time loading.
    Blender already supports glTF. I was comparing UE4 to other game engines...
    Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

+1: If you love something, set it up for free formats
      Last edited by zaha; 09-14-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post

Since they both have python support any gltf python library would make supporting it as a third party far easier. Until UE4 supports python though (Epic have said they are interested in this) support is probably difficult to implement.
        The language itself doesn't matter. I mean - having Python implementation for something-else won't help implementing glTF support for Unreal engine. glTF parser code shouldn't be very large, despite there's no SDK for it (my glTF reader/writer takes 500-700 lines of C++ code). Don't interpret me wrong - personally I'd love if UE4 have glTF import feature - I have my own tool ("umodel") which works with ActorX format at the moment, and having saving to glTF format would be really nice, it would let me saving content directly to Unreal. The problem is that nobody supports glTF yet. Perhaps except a pair of third-party Unity implementations. Majority of game studios are using Max and Maya for years, and I doubt these DDC's will have glTF support one day - Autodesk spent a lot of money promoting their fbx, they implemented very first version of fbx pipeline for Unreal (UE3). I'm working with several companies which has geometry export/import pipelines, and nobody happy with fbx. My company is trying to promote glTF as much as possible, I spent 3 recent months developing several tools working with glTF for "one mayor CAD software / company". But glTF is still not an alternative unless it will be widely supported in major DDC tools.

Also I'd like to mention that writing glTF exporter for Max and Maya (those I familiar with - I took part coding a few commercial plugins for those) won't be an easy task. It's relatively easy to save scene hierarchy and meshes, but not materials. This is because glTF has very special packing for PBR data, and I think it is even impossible to use packed texture in Max/Maya material graphs. Just look at tutorials describing how to prepare materials for Unity (it has similar, but a little bit different texture packing). Most time of these tutorials spent showing how to use Photoshop for copy-pasting monochrome PBR textures into R/G/B channels of combined texture! It's very easy to interpret glTF PBR material in Unreal because of its flexibility. Making such material in Unity requires shader coding. Making glTF-compatible PBR material in Max/Maya in not possible at all.

Comment

Ahh I was curious if you were that Gildor So your glTF c++ code is for Unreal Engine? I can see where youre coming from and I did look over the glTF documentation as I was writing my own format and I chose against pursuing it because of materials support (as I want to work with substance) so thats interesting to know. Basically I wanted a more flexible system like substance has and Im using unique names to tie everything together, I do understand though that results will differ for a max/substance material imported in UE4 so I'll be improving that pipeline as I go too.

The Python implementation was more about the 3dsmax end support but since you can bring in any dot.net dll its fairly powerful, you can invoke your own custom C# from maxscript for eg but since libraries exist in python (and it supports Maya too) its something Im looking into, especially with Substance Automation Tool. It just seems Python is becoming the go to language for DCC import/export pipelines. Personally Im going to be using a combination of C# and JS avoiding C++ almost entirely since Im writing the UE4 end with the LowEntry JSON for Blueprint.

Im really not happy with FBX though, Im a huge supporter of Autodesk having been using 3dsmax since R2.5 but I dont like proprietary formats as it locks me out of features I could be using by adding my own extended support. The problems with FBX are accentuated by UE4 and unfortunately Epic shafted themselves there and forced them into a position where Datasmith becomes a necessity not an optional bonus.

Comment

Ahh I was curious if you were that Gildor

So your glTF c++ code is for Unreal Engine?
            Unfortunately no. The CAD company we're working for wants to see their models in VR, especially with Misrosoft's HL hardware which is not supported by Unreal. So they choose Unity (I really don't like this "engine"! and nobody from our team - who worked with Unreal - does).

I've coded C# glTF importer, fighting against Unity's limitations in all relevant areas. We have a CAD exporter into glTF made by our other team members. Also we have an intermediate application in pipeline, which is supposed to optimize glTF file (polygon reduction etc) to be able to use CAD model with target hardware - I'm coding this tool now, using C++.

Im really not happy with FBX though, Im a huge supporter of Autodesk having been using 3dsmax since R2.5 but I dont like proprietary formats as it locks me out of features I could be using by adding my own extended support. The problems with FBX are accentuated by UE4 and unfortunately Epic shafted themselves there and forced them into a position where Datasmith becomes a necessity not an optional bonus.
            Unfortunately Datasmith is not an alternative either. It is just another closed format which is now supported by several CAD tools which were "outsiders" before Datasmith. And taking into account Epic's presentation about DS, it still has material problems - the bike scene they exported from CAD into UE4 had "manual material adjustments" step to make it looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
              Unfortunately Datasmith is not an alternative either. It is just another closed format which is now supported by several CAD tools which were "outsiders" before Datasmith. And taking into account Epic's presentation about DS, it still has material problems - the bike scene they exported from CAD into UE4 had "manual material adjustments" step to make it looking good.
              This sounds very unfortunate but what I was expecting, I dont see why we need yet another proprietary format for people to fight over and it just makes things more difficult for those of us who have to write support for X DCC tool.

Open formats that are extensible similar to Pixars USD allow data to be used or dropped as required rather than requiring a strict data structure so that every piece of data conforms and thats why I do like the look of glTF is it does have room for additional data at very low development cost. It means there can be a standard for the core of a format and for those that need more they can still use said convention without having to reinvent the wheel every time.

It seems odd to me Epic chose to go this route since there are quite a few intermediate tools that specialize in format conversions, they even work on commandline for heavily automated pipelines.

Thanks for the information, I feel even better about pursuing this path as I was worried I was doing rework that would end up obsolete fast, it means I keep my competitive advantage in regards to my pipeline

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                I dont see why we need yet another proprietary format for people to fight over and it just makes things more difficult for those of us who have to write support for X DCC tool.
                As Epic explained in introduction to Data Smith, they hired some "third company" to use (probably existing) exporters from CAD software, and just created importer for it. However I wasn't able to find any information about "Data Smith" in internet, so may be I'm wrong. Their solution is completely closed source, works only with CAD, and intended for Unreal Engine Enterprise.

Comment

glTF 2.0 seems to be getting some traction: Substance Painter 2017.3 added support for export.

Comment

Until there are no good glTF C++ code for UE4 then Blender as example would need to support .FBX well in 2.8 and forward. Autodesk should release .FBX format to public.
                    tox.chat - Skype alternative, fast C/C++, no bloat.

Comment

+1 to the topic, bring gITF to UE4 please! Let us get rid from FBX!

Cheers!

Comment

It does seems like the momentum for glTF is picking up with some hope that the addon for Blender might soon become part of the official release.

Comment

Also supporting this to get away from .fbx finally

Comment

In the end i really hope Epic will one day move away from .FBX and FBX will stay optional not hard requirement. In meantime .FBX has to be reverse engineered even better, now it is quite ok "so-so" in Blender but some improvements and fixes could be made from reverse engineering.

I think it will be years until whole 3D community will accept best format, is it glTF? i hope so.
                            tox.chat - Skype alternative, fast C/C++, no bloat.

Comment

How about making importer for OpenGEX 2.0 format ? http://opengex.org/

Plugins for Max/Maya and Blender already exist and all we need is for UE4 to be able to import the format. It's open standard and there should be no issues implementing it unlike black-box FBX.

Comment

+1 for https://www.khronos.org/gltf support
                                My Gear VR app got through to the Oculus Mobile Jam 2015 finals. Hurray!
                                Check out the latest video and download the installer by visiting:
                                The Curator's Mini-Museum of Natural History - http://imnh.org (Built with UE4)

Comment

Working...
                                X