Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FEATURE REQUEST] Blueprint multiple subtract

Hi,

The Blueprint arithmetic nodes for adding and multiplying floats, etc, feature an "add pin" option so one can process multiple values with one node.

Click image for larger version

Name:	addnode.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1149675

It would be cool if the same would be available for the subtract node where all subsequent values are subtracted from the first one.

Name:	subnode.JPG
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1149676

So, just a minor thing

Cheers,
    Klaus

I kind of wish they'd remove 'Add Pin' and make it a right-click option, it makes the nodes bigger than all the other math nodes and that upsets my OCD

I think the reason they haven't added it to Subtract and Divide nodes is because it can make the order of operations confusing. Add nodes don't care what order everything is added together, whereas subtract and divide do.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
      I kind of wish they'd remove 'Add Pin' and make it a right-click option, it makes the nodes bigger than all the other math nodes and that upsets my OCD

I think the reason they haven't added it to Subtract and Divide nodes is because it can make the order of operations confusing. Add nodes don't care what order everything is added together, whereas subtract and divide do.
      Substract cares about order?
      Easy weapons in Unreal Engine 4:
      Check out Realistic Blueprint Weapons

Currently doing a tutorial series on Vectors and what they are good for.
      Please visit Unreal Unscripted

Comment

because it can make the order of operations confusing
        Thus my proposal for the behavior. "[...] where all subsequent values are subtracted from the first one"
        The order of the subsequent values is again commutative.

Substract cares about order?
        Indeed. The subtraction operator is noncommutative. Hence: A-B != B-A
        The same is true for the division, in which case the two-values-only node absolutely makes sense..
        Last edited by KVogler; 05-11-2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

This request has come up before and it has been considered, but there is a limitation to how the programming of the "Add Pin" currently works. "Add Pins" only works for commutative operations, which subtraction is not. I'll speak to the Blueprint developers about it and whether or not a work-around can be created.
          Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
          How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
          Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
            "Add Pins" only works for commutative operations, which subtraction is not.
            Well inputs could be subtracted sequentially from up to down
            =========
            My Tutorials:
            Basic knowledge about Classes and UObject environment and stuff like that

Comment

Well inputs could be subtracted sequentially from up to down
              Or the subsequent values could be added in the current fashion and the result be subtracted from the initial value, basically encapsulating:

Name:	subnode2.JPG
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1076165

So its just a matter if a BP node could do this internally..

Comment

Uhh then that would barely save a node? plus it sounds like custom behavior, you wouldn't think that it would work that way.. kinda confusing.

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

Uhh then that would barely save a node? plus it sounds like custom behavior, you wouldn't think that it would work that way
                  Yupp. One node less in the spaghettis....
                  How would that be custom? It would just evaluate like a normal chained expression:
                  10-3-1-4 = 10-(3+1+4).

So no matter if you evaluate : 10-3 = 7 ; 7-1=6 ; 6-4=2
                  or : 3+1+4=8 ; 10-8=2

Its the same. Nothing confusing about it. Who cares about the internal calculation?
                  Last edited by KVogler; 05-12-2015, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Yeah you are right it's the same, I confused myself

4.10 Update! -> [Community Project] WIP Weather & Ocean Water Shader
                    WIP Interactive Water Shader, WIP 2D Water Sim
                    WIP FFT Ocean w/ Foam, Quad-tree Infinite Ocean LOD

Comment

Working...
                    X