Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Letter to Epic [Mobile Development]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Errvald View Post
    Dishing out small, bad games in no time won't give any profit back. Don't we already have thousands of Unity games that have been uploaded on Google Play that just sit there?
    Agreed. But the creators of angry birds started somewhere. Which is more than we can do without official OBB downloading support.
    I don't care much for 1000 bells and whistles when it comes to mobile.

    What i do care about is having the ability to package a game that can be published when its larger than 50mb's.
    Surely... this is not an unreasonable request.

    And do not get me wrong. Epic has thus far done a really good job in the mobile department. There has been a ton of improvements over the course of the past few months. But a few critical issues concerning packaging is still outstanding.
    http://celestialarch.com
    Free UE4 things available. More coming

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Crocopede View Post
      Agreed. But the creators of angry birds started somewhere. Which is more than we can do without official OBB downloading support.
      I don't care much for 1000 bells and whistles when it comes to mobile.

      What i do care about is having the ability to package a game that can be published when its larger than 50mb's.
      Surely... this is not an unreasonable request.

      And do not get me wrong. Epic has thus far done a really good job in the mobile department. There has been a ton of improvements over the course of the past few months. But a few critical issues concerning packaging is still outstanding.
      That's the whole point though, I know EPIC tried to showcase a very simple 2d game (flappy bird), but that's an overkill for such a game engine. If the size of the game is mostly engine code then you're using the wrong engine.

      Comment


        #18
        How do you come to that conclusion?
        Sure the engine footpring is big. But just add automatic handling of obb files and there is no issue.

        I mean... how many people actually care that a game is 100mb in size? Hell... i cant recall the last time i downloaded a game that was not a few hundred mb is size.
        http://celestialarch.com
        Free UE4 things available. More coming

        Comment


          #19
          This is about more than just games & mobile. If you are working on a HTML5 project then you don't want your users wasting time downloading

          Epic currently have some good cards in the Roadmap for mobile performance and dynamic lighting features that should be due in April.

          However, they need to upgrade 'Mobile Package Size' from a 'Wishlist/Backlog' card to something being tackled in the near future. And as part of that, better cooking tools.

          Comment


            #20
            IMO EPIC should not focus on HTML5 and low-end mobiles. Like I said earlier UE4 would be an overkill for HTML5 games, unless it's a Chrome packaged app where the app sits in your computer, but even then it's a bit too much.

            Leave html5 games for Three.js, Gooengine and the likes, their footprint is less than 1 mb.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Errvald View Post
              That's the whole point though, I know EPIC tried to showcase a very simple 2d game (flappy bird), but that's an overkill for such a game engine. If the size of the game is mostly engine code then you're using the wrong engine.
              There is alot of excess data being cooked and added to projects. This wastes development time, time for consumers to download and space on their end devices. It is possible to want to build a small project that isn't 2D and does push 3D capabilities hard.

              Comment


                #22
                Yes well. Its up to Epic to decide which market they want to target. There is a lot of money to be made in the mobile space.
                http://celestialarch.com
                Free UE4 things available. More coming

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                  IMO EPIC should not focus on HTML5 and low-end mobiles. Like I said earlier UE4 would be an overkill for HTML5 games, unless it's a Chrome packaged app where the app sits in your computer, but even then it's a bit too much.

                  Leave html5 games for Three.js, Gooengine and the likes, their footprint is less than 1 mb.
                  Epic's target are developers. Developers targets are end users.

                  Developer doesn't mean game developer.

                  End user doesn't mean customer.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    +1 to the OP

                    I would like some official response to this as I am also a mobile developer.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Hi Guys,

                      Thx for your comments and concerns. Much of the next two releases for iOS are targeted at implementing the rest of the iOS specific features (Push Notifications, iCloud, etc.), improving developers ability to develop/debug games, and reducing footprint. With that in mind, we are working on the following for iOS for 4.8 (this not a guarantee they will make it, but is currently the plan):

                      Push Notifications
                      Facebook API update (possibly blue prints)
                      Building iOS from PC more easily
                      Better support for third party frameworks and plugins
                      Direct support for Simulator as a platform in the editor
                      Cooked Data Size Dialog (a simple version of this is already in, but not exposed)
                      General bug fixing

                      I have also been looking in to IPA size, but the biggest issue there is executable size and how much code we are linking in to it, so reducing that is very slow going as I have to disentangle modules we don't need from the modules we do need.

                      -Pete

                      Comment


                        #26
                        thanks for the response Pete

                        and what about android?
                        tegleg.co.uk - indie electronic music label
                        Android + HTML5 WIP Physics Game
                        PC Games - Android Apps

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Hi Guys,

                          On the Android side, OBB downloading is currently being work on for 4.8. We're also looking into package size concerns, faster iteration, and easier plugin integration.

                          - Chris

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Thank you Pete and Chris. Just hearing this being acknowledged again really does take some of stress away.
                            Thank you.
                            Even if just OBB auto-download support works... this will enable me to release 2 titles currently gathering dust.

                            I really do appreciate the feedback.
                            Thanks again.
                            http://celestialarch.com
                            Free UE4 things available. More coming

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X