Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please support dynamic and static batching to minimize drawcalls for mobile and low-e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically merge operation will produce a single mesh with M elements, where M is number of unique materials.
    Wouldnt that defeat the goal of having less drawcalls. If I merge ten actors that have one material each, thats 10 drawcalls.
    The mergerd actor would have 10 material elements, thus also 10 drawcalls....
    Where is the advantage here?

Comment

Originally posted by KVogler View Post
      Wouldnt that defeat the goal of having less drawcalls. If I merge ten actors that have one material each, thats 10 drawcalls.
      There is no advantage to merge 10 meshes with 10 unique materials. This works only for merging meshes with a same material.

Comment

Originally posted by KVogler View Post
        Erm. It IS possible to also reduce number of drawcalls by putting textures of those materials into atlas (not in the engine, but in general/in theory). Also, if material structure is identical, and only input parameters are different, it may be possible to convert several different input materials into one. I believe using texture atlases were recommended even back when DirectX 9 performance guidelines were written.

Comment

Working...
        X