No announcement yet.

Large Open-World Kid Kite Demo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm quite excited about the dynamic nav meshing and performance improvements to having lots of AIs running.
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by reok View Post
      The only thing I'm concerned about is when the Kite Demo is being made accesible for everyone, that everyone starts doing their games in that demo and then actually sell it. So we end up seeing all games being made in and around that Kite Demo. Or "ripping" the art of the kite demo for their projects. Kinda worries me there, but other than that, looking forward to see how it's going to work.
      This hasn't been an issue for any of the other demo's, and while the Kite Demo looks great, the other demo's are more accessible in terms of creating an actual game. Regardless, I am excited for 4.8!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
        The complete UE4 Kite demo is coming along with 4.8. We might be able to release some of the content from the demo sooner. Stay tuned for news.
        I've always dreamed of having the assets and engine tech needed to do a proper open world game, and you guys pulled it off it spades! Thanks everyone at Epic

Can't wait to play with the demo. I have a zombie AI and about 500 zombies ready to spam into it.
        Last edited by n00854180t; 03-08-2015, 03:52 AM.
        Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Oh okay, then I think my concerns vanished. Was just wondering if this is going to be the case. I'm mostly excited about the ecosystem they mentioned in the open world stream. For now working hard with 4.7.2

Comment

Are you sure the dynamic lighting/GI in this demo is DFAO/DFGI?

Seemed to me it wasn't ready yet for such rendering...isn't it rather VXGI?

Comment

It says in the Unreal Engine 2015 video that its DFAO and Dynamic GI from heightfields: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...pdx1wDOoU#t=28
              NVIDIA GameWorks merged branch (v4.9.2) (v4.12.5) (v4.13 p2)
              Feel free to Donate if you wish to support me

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                I'm quite excited about the dynamic nav meshing and performance improvements to having lots of AIs running.
                Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                Can't wait to play with the demo. I have a zombie AI and about 500 zombies ready to spam into it.

Do you really think 500 AIs will work well? I know they implemented navmesh walking, but apart from this I have not heard about any AI improvements.
                Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                  Do you really think 500 AIs will work well? I know they implemented navmesh walking, but apart from this I have not heard about any AI improvements.
                  How about using an approach like this from CobaltUDK?
                  https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...1#post31917012

(No Navmesh, instead intermittent Traces on a Tick for obstacle avoidance)
                  Last edited by franktech; 03-08-2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
                    How about using an approach like this from CobaltUDK?
                    https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...1#post31917012

(No Navmesh, instead intermittent Traces on a Tick for obstacle avoidance)
                    I think this approach is less performant than navmesh walking since you have to check for collision with ground every tick.

Comment

Are you sure the dynamic lighting/GI in this demo is DFAO/DFGI?
                      Distance Field Ambient Occlusion was used for sky shadowing, and Ray Traced Distance Field shadows were used for tree shadows in the range 100m - 1200m.

A new method was created for computing dynamic GI from heightfields, which is a part of Distance Field Global Illumination. The other part handles bounce from arbitrary static meshes, but that wasn't enabled as its bounce distance is too low and costs too much in a huge scene. On a 980 GTX the heightfield GI is 2.6ms.

Comment

We hired and motion-captured a child for a lot of the motion just after the New Year. We used this to layout in the engine, modifying as necessary to make it work in the cut. It was laid out to storyboards that I had created late last year.

We baked out the scenes as they were (messy, choppy and nasty as all Hell) and gave them to the animators who threw away whatever they wanted or cleaned up what they wanted depending on the situation. For example, when the kid runs across the rocks that is mocap that has been stylized to improve arcs and spacing as well as push the bounding quality of his movement BUT the 3 shots afterwards had the mocap binned and were hand animated.

We did what we could till the final rig was ready and then with about 2 1/2 weeks to go we started on the facial animation. The cut changed a bit during the production of this so some shots got longer but most they got shorter till we felt we had a cut that we were happy with.

At that point it was a sprint to the last day which was EOD Thursday before the GDC demo. 7 weeks production in all.

Comment

Originally posted by GavinM View Post
                          We hired and motion-captured a child for a lot of the motion just after the New Year. We used this to layout in the engine, modifying as necessary to make it work in the cut. It was laid out to storyboards that I had created late last year.

We baked out the scenes as they were (messy, choppy and nasty as all Hell) and gave them to the animators who threw away whatever they wanted or cleaned up what they wanted depending on the situation. For example, when the kid runs across the rocks that is mocap that has been stylized to improve arcs and spacing as well as push the bounding quality of his movement BUT the 3 shots afterwards had the mocap binned and were hand animated.

We did what we could till the final rig was ready and then with about 2 1/2 weeks to go we started on the facial animation. The cut changed a bit during the production of this so some shots got longer but most they got shorter till we felt we had a cut that we were happy with.

At that point it was a sprint to the last day which was EOD Thursday before the GDC demo. 7 weeks production in all.
                          I would love to see a detailed write-up of the entire process on the forums, blog and/or wiki, including a breakdown of price/availability of all the gear you used to accomplish such results
                          Last edited by BenjaminDSmithy; 03-09-2015, 03:02 PM. Reason: fixed spelling mistake.
                          Regards,
                          Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
                          Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

This demo is a much better representation of UE4 than any other demo we've ever seen. Infiltrator, Elemental, this tops them all, by far!

Comment

I don't agree, Infiltrator is a really great indoor demo while kite is a good outdoor demo... And indoor environments are always looking better than outdoor environments since you can put a lot more detail in there. Infiltrator is movie quality, while kite is the... well, the first step on the long way to realistic looking outdoor environments in UE4.

Comment

I loved the Kite demo and I'm really excited for 4.8 now!
                                One thing I hope for are the tools which Epic used. I know, that might be too much to be asked for, but things like the script they used in Maya (I think it was Maya) to get the Albedo would be amazing or the ecosystem for planting vegetation and so on. But I guess that most of the tools are Epic intern only, but maybe we get lucky
                                At last I do share reok's original concerns, I know that most of those games sell bad, but they still somehow end up on Steam and co. (I remember an example which ripped the ShooterGame). But some of the assets might be useful when used wisely (maybe stuff like vegetation, given that you are going for a realistic look). Let's hope for the best ^^

Greetings,
                                Dakraid

Comment

Working...
                                X