Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Deiter View Post
    The kite demo makes heavy use of LOD's.
    Yeah, I realized that after watching the streams from GDC again. Sorry if I confused anyone ^^

Comment

I dont know if it has already been mentioned, but anyone knows the specs of the pc from the kite demo video? I just know that they use a gtx titan x

Comment

The crazy 1hr load on first run is because we accidentally didn't prebuild the DDC - so things like textures are being compressed from scratch and there's one giant static mesh that takes a huge amount of time by itself. Normal loading time for the whole level is like 5 minutes on a fast PC>

>I dont know if it has already been mentioned, but anyone knows the specs of the pc from the kite demo video?

I can't remember the full specs, important part was TitanX. Framerate is pretty good on 980GTX as well, but there were more hitches so it doesn't run as smooth.

>Would love to see some tutorials based one some of the features in the kite demo.
        >I use the trees from the asset packages and I cannot get the same quality/lighting when I zoom out.

There was a huge amount of complex work that went into getting good looking trees that hold up as you transition between LODs (move closer and further). I am bugging the tech artist (Ryan Brucks) who did most of the work on making this happen to do a tutorial or doc =)

We made a ton of improvements to our foliage system to handle so many instances - there are something like 2 million unique trees, and these are automatically clustered together with a tree data structure to minimize draw calls but still get effective frustum culling. These improvements are automatic for any foliage painted with the foliage tool in 4.8.

The short summary is dither-fade between triangle mesh LODs for the first few LODs (this works well with Temporal AA which turns the dither into semi-translucency) then a billboard for the final LOD. The billboard attributes came from material properties that Ryan rendered out at different camera angles. He atlased the material attributes from each camera angle, and the pixel shader of the billboard picks the correct rectangle into the atlas based on current viewer camera angle.

Distance field lighting features like Ray Traced shadows and DFAO still use the original shape even when the triangle mesh is simplified, so this causes incorrect self shadowing. The solution was to use the newly created Pixel Depth Offset material input for the billboards to better approximate the original shape. Pixel depth offset just allows pushing individual pixels into the screen (away from camera) for very little cost. The depth to hookup came from depth maps that Ryan rendered out using the billboard rendering method.

See DFAO shadows page for screenshots showing trees with/without Pixel Depth Offset
        https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ion/index.html
        Last edited by DanielW; 04-21-2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
          I can't remember the full specs, important part was TitanX. Framerate is pretty good on 980GTX as well, but there were more hitches so it doesn't run as smooth.
          Ok, thx for the answer. I assume that it was the best hardware on the market

Comment

We made a ton of improvements to our foliage system to handle so many instances - there are something like 2 million unique trees, and these are automatically clustered together with a tree data structure to minimize draw calls but still get effective frustum culling. These improvements are automatic for any foliage painted with the foliage tool in 4.8.
            I like that already

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
              I am bugging the tech artist (Ryan Brucks) who did most of the work on making this happen to do a tutorial or doc =)
              Yes please please please! Please keep us up to date on this!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
                You're right! That was the sizzle reel. One second and I'll look this one up.

EDIT: Everything I can find internally calls it "Kite_Segment_Music", so I'm going to have to ask the team that made it on Monday what its name really is. Sorry about that!
                What did the team say on Monday, two months ago?

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                  What is taking so much time to render? Is it the massive amount of foliage or the DFGI? I think the kite demo looks good, but it's nothing "special". It's not really "the future of graphics". It's what the Cryengine could do all the time, and it seems with much better fps... You probably can compare the kite demo with Crysis 1... Of course the demo looks a bit better since the textures are higher resolution and the foliage has more polys, but as a rough comparison crysis 1 works.

For example kite demo has a really low grass render distance...

So really, what's the bottleneck at the moment? You said you improved the performance with much foliage a lot, so probably this isn't the problem. But I also can't imagine that one-bounce Distance Field GI is taking so much performance.

I think it's due to broad and wise use of bilboards instead of geometry in the foliage and vegetation. But I could be wrong about instantiated geometries. And the boy flying a kite looks more beautiful for me than the sickly and wild vegetation in crysis.

Luny
                  lunybunny.com
                  lunybunny.com

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybare View Post
                    What did the team say on Monday, two months ago?
                    "We ended up buying the rights to original music, but then re-recorded it with live musicians + added the Cello and String parts. This was done by Noah Landis in the USA.

I'm pretty sure we own the recording of this new version, but I'm not sure about distribution rights."

Then they said things in legalese for a while until my head hurt. I have found an email chain about it that puttered out, so I'll revive it and see what I can find. Hopefully it's not tied up in paperwork
                    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
                    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
                    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

lol Yeah, legalese isn't as much fun as the kite demo, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by veggo View Post
                        ... what's the song name of this demo?
                        The base piano part sounds like 'inspired' by : Tom Rosenthal, Woes
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccrP2SCThuo
                        and/or maybe : Go Solo
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VePaI3jX4Sk

Comment

The song can be located here now: http://www.youlicense.com/SongDetails.aspx?ID=407958

The name seems to be just "Positive Piano Harmony", so it may be hard to look up.

More details about the composer: http://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com/

Enjoy
                          Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
                          How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
                          Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
                            The song can be located here now: http://www.youlicense.com/SongDetails.aspx?ID=407958

The name seems to be just "Positive Piano Harmony", so it may be hard to look up.

More details about the composer: http://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com/

Enjoy
                            OMG Why to put that in a game you need pay more than all the others 600$ xD need to pay more than for a TV or a Film...
                            Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
                            Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Originally posted by Hevedy View Post
                              OMG Why to put that in a game you need pay more than all the others 600$ xD need to pay more than for a TV or a Film...
                              Because games are an interactive medium; Which the song is more likely to be played back over and over by a single person rather than a film that someone might watch once or twice (Or you'd get the occasional person who watches it every day religiously) - That's my thought anyway.

More realistically, It's probably because people still don't see games as on-par to Movies / TV in terms or entertainment / art :P
                              KITATUS
                              "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Where do we download the actual open world demo, not just the assets? Not that the assets aren't fantastic, because they are, but I thought we'd be able to get the whole level to load as a project and view?

Comment

Working...
                                X