No announcement yet.

Large Open-World Kid Kite Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the last UE4 Twitch stream, Chance mentioned that Ray and Mike will be back sometime in April to talk about 4.8, and when a first preview will be released.

So depending how long it will take to go through preview builds we might be looking at end of May or June, for 4.8 release.
    Linux Support page (Wiki): https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Support
    Linux Demos page (Wiki): https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Demos
    My Unreal Engine 4 Linux repo: https://github.com/3dluvr/UnrealEngine/

Comment

Is it possible to download and run this demo on my PC (pre-compiled) without downloading the Unreal Engine?

System (if needed): 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, 1920x1200.

Comment

No its on 8k right now without source modification, you just need to change your .ini files to not cut out the 8k lod.

Comment

Yes MAX_TEXTURE_MIP_COUNT is defined to be 14 now. I don't know when it changed.

The documentation didn't change yet though.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...utf8=%E2%9C%93
          Last edited by Mikand79; 04-08-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by King Mustard View Post
            Is it possible to download and run this demo on my PC (pre-compiled) without downloading the Unreal Engine?

System (if needed): 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, 1920x1200.
            Ok, I think you included two question at once.
            First, I don't think there is a download for the pre-compiled version coming, at least I haven't heard anything in this direction. You would need to download UE4 and wait for 4.8 to be released to download the "open" version for the editor.
            Second, the demo ran on a GTX Titan X with 30fps. It doesn't use LODs or any other optimizations and is laid out for best fidelity, so I would assume that you could start it but run it with, what, 2fps? Don't forget we are talking about a tech demo which is supposed to show the boundaries of the engine with the current top hardware. I wished I could run it too, but I also own a GTX970. (I wished I could afford even better hardware to deliver appropriate fidelity to extreme-end PCs as well, but this will have to wait.)
            I think Epic will include optimizations for us when they release it, otherwise a lot of people will have problems running the demo, but I'm not sure.

Greetings,
            Dakraid

Comment

Originally posted by Chariots
              Since the demo uses a lot of 8k textures, does epic have a plan to enable 8k textures in future releases? Right now it is limited to 4k only and requires source modification to enable 8k texture to be displayed.
              As far as I saw it, the small asset pack already includes 8k textures and they work, or not? So I think that this isn't a problem anymore.

Edit: Hmm, seems like I didn't pay attention to the hybrid view. Didn't saw that your question already has been answered ^^
              Last edited by Netrve; 04-08-2015, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chariots
                They won't display 8k textures unless you manually change the LOD settings. They'll display 4k max by default, even if they are 8k.
                Ahh, thanks for explaining that to me. Wasn't aware of that, changed it now in my config too ^^

Comment

We'll be talking about 4.8 shortly - hoping to start the preview builds in a few weeks. We're also cleaning up the Kite content for release - again hoping for 4.8 but not finalized on that yet. It's massive content!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Davis View Post
                    We'll be talking about 4.8 shortly - hoping to start the preview builds in a few weeks. We're also cleaning up the Kite content for release - again hoping for 4.8 but not finalized on that yet. It's massive content!
                    So we can expect 4.8 around May then I guess?
                    I realy hope the Full Open World Kite Demo comes along side the 4.8 release.
                    Thanks for the update!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	savage-chicks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1072168

Comment

Would love to see some tutorials based one some of the features in the kite demo.

I use the trees from the asset packages and I cannot get the same quality/lighting when I zoom out.

Comment

Originally posted by hallatore View Post
                        Would love to see some tutorials based one some of the features in the kite demo.

I use the trees from the asset packages and I cannot get the same quality/lighting when I zoom out.
                        Have you tried locking the LOD settings at 0? I think the Kite Demo didn't use LODs, but I'm not sure, it might be it or it's something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Davis View Post
                          Fantastic! I need them foliage distribution tools!

Comment

i'm eager to know how they did this awesome cloud and its shadows.
                            Pursuit of Realistic Cinematic scene.

Comment

Still loading... since yesterday evening. 8gb Ram i7... wow such no.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakraid View Post
                                Have you tried locking the LOD settings at 0? I think the Kite Demo didn't use LODs, but I'm not sure, it might be it or it's something else.
                                The kite demo makes heavy use of LOD's.

Comment

Working...
                                X