No announcement yet.

Scaleform Licenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate to gravedig, but I'd love to take a temperature on this subject now that we are 3 years down the road. Has UMG/Slate closed the gap even further?

Comment

It's really up to Autodesk, I assume they aren't open to it since it's not there. UMG has had 3 years of development since this thread so it's improved a lot since then

Comment

I've done some projects with Scaleform in UE4, latest being in 4.14.3 .. Being an old flash developer i find Scaleform despite its aging to still be a better 2D / UI solution than UMG/Slate despite the fact that UMG has improved over time.
        UMG / Slate is nice, but it could really could be improved a lot in terms of flexibiliy and ease-of-use.

Comment

The more time you spend with Slate, the more you learn to love it. The Syntax is great, in fact it's better than a lot of long-term existing UI stuff.

But yeah, free Scaleform is up to Autodesk really. Epic's policy with official third-party integration now is that it must be open source. In fact, that's why Slate exists in the first place.

Comment

As a person who got his start in video-game development from Macromedia Flash way back when, Scaleform was like a message from the gods on how to do UI right and easy.

Having spent time from UMG, I now believe I was listening to a false prophet. I can easily do almost everything I could in Scaleform if not more thanks for the sheer power and beauty of Slate and UMG.

At this point, I'd recommend just diving straight into slate and UMG and forgetting about Scaleform. It was hard for me to cut the cord but I couldn't even consider going back now.
            KITATUS
            "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Can you even build HUD Widgets like this, using Scaleform?
              I favor just having built-in Editor tools, rather than external.
              Freedom from Autodesk oppression is a definite plus as well.

Comment

Unfortunately, it seems that Autodesk are now abandoning Scaleform :
                https://www.autodesk.com/content/aut...ame-middleware

Comment

Working...
                X