Scaleform Licenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    To add a challenge, Autodesk will give you a Scaleform for UE4 trial free of charge and that comes with access to all documentation and their forums. Adobe will do the same for Flash. If you want to give it a shot first in UE4 vs. UDK.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sorry guys , didn't want to insult anyone ,again sorry.Xendran ,you wrote very good sentence,I understand that you were talking from my point of view,but here you mentioned very good fact :
    "I want it right now and don't want to wait for Slate and Slate probably sucks even though i didn't look into what it is"
    -so you admit the fact that slate isn't ready yet.Yes I hope that one day it could be very good solution for UI.But what I can see now.It is nothing.

Mr.mikezteh69,completely agree with you.
    Last edited by Korben; 04-15-2014, 10:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Here is the situation. My Game is 90% complete. It is in the testing and bugfix phase. The UI is already designed in Flash as it was brought forward from an earlier prototype done in UDK. I would have continued in UDK and finished the game there to have access to what i wanted if I had a programmer or even a scripter on my team but I do not so the Blueprint system was very effective for me.

I have spent a lot of money using 3rd party tools for UI in both UDK and Unity. I can tell you and affirm from experience, this is CURRENTLY the most efficient, nicest, and easiest to learn method available. Now I can go directly to the source but Autodesk sometimes seems less interested in Indie Developers and more interested in "Commercial Products" grossing more than 1M USD annually. That doesn't make them the enemy or overpriced, it just makes them selective and I appreciate that. Not everyone can own a Ferrari...

So my thought on the matter was, if Epic could negotiate that deal on behalf of their subscribing Indie developers, and offer an integrated tool that they themselves use, then so be it and we all win.

In posting this I have learned that there are a lot of people that think they know something about something and that is fine. I have worked for a AAA design studio as a UI Designer on a current released Xbox 360 title... So I know what I need, I know what I want and that is it for me.

All I can say for the others out there, explore options outside of the comfort zone. If you are in need of a UI solution you should check this out. It is integrated and available and FREE with UDK. I know that is the sticking point for most of you... Free and easy. I get it and that is all good. BUT sometimes if you want something to be a certain way you might have to spend some money.

I can assure you that you can learn Flash (That you can get for around $40.00 or subscribe monthly too for around the same price as UE4...Not that over priced), learn actionscript, learn how to use the Scaleform tools and integrate a fully dynamic and beautiful UI (HUD, menus, etc.) in less time than you can learn and implement a simple comparable UI using a tool that has next to no documentation and has only been publicly available for a month.

I have no doubt these tools will grow and become more accessible. If I had a bunch of money I would invest it in Epic because I trust that they will do great. But sometimes some people need tools that they can do exactly precisely what they want/need to do.

I dislike that this is such a long post but I felt compelled to organize my thoughts into useful information.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Yet another thread that turned extremely hostile extremely quickly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Korben:
    See this, from the thread you linked

As for blueprint and WYSIWYG support, there are some really tough engineering questions that we need to answer. They all come down to this: "do we build a whole new UI system that is targeted at WYSIWYG, blueprints, and rich motion graphics? Or do we evolve Slate to add all those features?" My preference has been to have one unified UI system. In the next few days we will be hashing out the engineering implications of the two options. If we do decide to evolve Slate, we'd have to consider how much compatibility-breaking API changes are acceptable. What if certain operations on widgets begin asserting? What if all the ArrangeChildren() or OnPaint() implementations require an overhaul, and your code no longer compiles until you've re-written those functions? How much breakage will you put up with? Are we going to be slowed down by the sheer amount of existing Slate use-cases such that we cannot make significant forward progress on features?

Once we've settled on a solution there, those of you looking at our code will probably start to see the new features added.
    Please stay tuned. If you have thoughts on any of the topics I touched on above, I'd love to hear them.
    So what part of WYSIWYG UI Editor + Lack of Scaleform doesn't equal an effective replacement?
    Seems to me like you're trying to just get into semantics now, and you're getting defensive, as well as giving off an "I want it right now and don't want to wait for Slate and Slate probably sucks even though i didn't look into what it is" kind of attitude.

But if you think developer posts are "0 Information", then gladly refrain from reading them.
    Having a more open mind about new things is what gets you responses that are less blunt than this one.
    Last edited by Xendran; 04-15-2014, 07:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe I don't "expect " to make a video game cuz I've already done it .Now importing all from udk ,need to do staff with BP .And pabam ...Pure magic thanks to EPIC.
    P.s BTW found a post about Slate as you told me.https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ueprint-Access -0 information. Right now Slate for me is just a word.
    Last edited by Korben; 04-15-2014, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Absolutely not sourcing it because it's on the same page as this thread on these forums.
    If you are not willing to scroll down a page or use a search button, how do you expect to make a video game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Xendral ,sorry but with Scaleform I could "Draw" my hud in Flash and then use it in engine in minutes .I personnally haven't seen anything about so called "slate" ..So much talks and 0 work here.Never seen anything about this Slate...Show me the prove of "Effective replacing".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes ,so here we figure it out that everybody who create HUD staff and UI need scaleform . Iniside you wrote :
    I simply do not need HUD right now
    ,so now you don't need it ,but you should think futher ,months later..when the day when you need UI will come ,you'll start looking for how to create it ,and you'll remember this conversation .SO my point is everyone who needs to create UI likes the idea of Scaleform implementation ,others who don't like just simply don't achive that point in developing process when they need UI.Or they just don't need to create UI at all so they don't care.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No point, they're effectively replacing it with Slate.

P.S. HA! Now all you guys who "can survive" without Scaleform show me what you've done .Yes ,show me your HUD!I guess it is needless to say that to do HUD now it is very very time consuming and difficult.Maybe week or more..
    And in response to this again, future Slate.
    "You haven't got anything at the moment" does not equal "You have nothing and will always have nothing without scaleform"

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Korben View Post
    With Scaleform on UDK I could create very good UI in 1 hour. Now on UE4 it is very difficult and not much attrective from designer's point of view.I think it would be very good to get it back.I can't understand why if something worked fine (I mean Scelaform in UDK) why you have stopped using it, or I hope EPIC want to integrate it as it was ,but haven
    t done yet because it is just too early there are other things to be done first ,then they will integrate Scaleform.I hope so=) .
    P.S. HA! Now all you guys who "can survive" without Scaleform show me what you've done .Yes ,show me your HUD!I guess it is needless to say that to do HUD now it is very very time consuming and difficult.Maybe week or more..
    I simply do not need HUD right now. An I don't see to use overprived Scaleform, that needs overpriced 3rd party software to create UI...

Especially since I know, that Epic is working on making Slate more designer friendly.
    I also don't need flashy jumping around menu. After all new trend is to have minimalist UI with maximum information.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With Scaleform on UDK I could create very good UI in 1 hour. Now on UE4 it is very difficult and not much attrective from designer's point of view.I think it would be very good to get it back.I can't understand why if something worked fine (I mean Scelaform in UDK) why you have stopped using it, or I hope EPIC want to integrate it as it was ,but haven
    t done yet because it is just too early there are other things to be done first ,then they will integrate Scaleform.I hope so=) .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    personally, I can Survive

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Whats the actual price of Scaleform?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mikezteh69 View Post
    So Flipbook is an interesting idea but my entire flash UI has a footprint of about 2.7MB. The textures required to reproduce it would be exponentially larger.
    Couldn't you create a compressed Texture Atlas?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X