Scaleform Licenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaleform Licenses

UDK came with a Scaleform license and required connectivity via Kismet. The benefits for this were great. For one, a Scaleform license is pricey but more so, for UE4 you need to go through a vetting process that I was actually turned down for. I understand that I am an independent designer but Flash Based UI design worked best for me because I am not a programmer and even with a license directly from Autodesk, I would still have some difficulties with integration.

As with most things in UE4, features seemed to be designed with artists and non-coders in mind. Also I understand the mindset involved with creating an internal tool such as Slate to solve multiple issues. But as it stands today, there is an extreme learning curve with too few resources catering directly to artists.

So my petition is to, at a minimum, integrate Scaleform in UE4. I, and I am sure others, would happily find a way to pay a licensing fee if the tools were already available and could be connected via Blueprint.

Just my thoughts. Thank you!
    Yes, I need, or would greatly desire, Scaleform to do my UI work.
    52.75%
    No, I have no use, desire to use, or any idea what Scaleform is.
    21.98%
    Maybe I can find use for Scaleform but if it is not an option I can survive.
    25.27%
    Mike "Z"
    UI / Game Designer
    LinkedIn

When you're accepted to their license, they actually give you files to integrate into UE4. But for the asking price of the license; Is it really worth it when you have Slate and Blueprints? I come from a Flash background, but using Blueprint for UI is criminally simple, and saves you the cost of a Scaleform license.
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

I can live without it. And since there will be improved version of slate with wyswig, I don't see reason to use third party solution, unless you need some specific functionality.
      https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Once they have an Editor for Slate that's integrated with Blueprints it should be good. Being dependent on both Flash and Scaleform for UI sucks even more than using Slate does. For now, I think the best option is to use the canvas directly.

Comment

Well for starters, I want dynamic and animated UI and Menu elements. Maybe it can be done with Blueprint but as of now no one is sharing how. In fact even some Epic people have posted on similar topics that Slate as it stands now might not be the best dynamic UI option. There is no time line currently on a stable build for the WYSIWYG designer for Slate and furthermore, when I say UI I don't mean to limit that to a start screen or health/ammo count. I am talking much larger scale.

It is understandable that if you have no need for those features that Slate would be the key back up but with no notable window for completion and my extreme inability to understand how to code anything, a third party application works best.

Then there are bells and whistles such as a 3D UI and dynamically loaded movies, timelines, images, localization... Like I said, these aren't features that every user will need.
          Mike "Z"
          UI / Game Designer
          LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by mikezteh69 View Post
            Well for starters, I want dynamic and animated UI and Menu elements. Maybe it can be done with Blueprint but as of now no one is sharing how.
            Doesn't Flipbook work with Texture2D? That's animated.
            KITATUS

Comment

So Flipbook is an interesting idea but my entire flash UI has a footprint of about 2.7MB. The textures required to reproduce it would be exponentially larger. Of course I don't know if I could get the same results anyway without trying, but I know that the image/texture size would far surpass this. For a console or PC I would be willing to accept that as there is a good chance it would not cause any noticeable frame-rate loss. The problem for mobile, however, is the frame-rate loss and the overall file size. Another issue I will have is the tweening (Animations including fade in/out and all of the actual hitbox and time-line navigation embedded within the flash file).

Of course it could simply be about learning a better technique, I still feel the current available tech in-engine to be far inferior to the alternative. If that was not the case my project would be complete.

Another thing to consider - because someone did PM me an opinion about doing Epic a favor and keeping to Epic only software... Consider this. The Flash and AS3 learning curve compared to Slate is not even comparable. At the present time the resources to learn Flash, Actionscript and most 3rd party plugins are plentiful.
              Mike "Z"
              UI / Game Designer
              LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by mikezteh69 View Post
                So Flipbook is an interesting idea but my entire flash UI has a footprint of about 2.7MB. The textures required to reproduce it would be exponentially larger.
                Couldn't you create a compressed Texture Atlas?
                KITATUS

Comment

personally, I can Survive
                  My projects : Jurassic-life MESA Unreal Engine 4 Developers France Steam Group Unreal Engine 4 French tutorials

Comment

With Scaleform on UDK I could create very good UI in 1 hour. Now on UE4 it is very difficult and not much attrective from designer's point of view.I think it would be very good to get it back.I can't understand why if something worked fine (I mean Scelaform in UDK) why you have stopped using it, or I hope EPIC want to integrate it as it was ,but haven
                    t done yet because it is just too early there are other things to be done first ,then they will integrate Scaleform.I hope so=) .
                    P.S. HA! Now all you guys who "can survive" without Scaleform show me what you've done .Yes ,show me your HUD!I guess it is needless to say that to do HUD now it is very very time consuming and difficult.Maybe week or more..

Comment

Originally posted by Korben View Post
                      With Scaleform on UDK I could create very good UI in 1 hour. Now on UE4 it is very difficult and not much attrective from designer's point of view.I think it would be very good to get it back.I can't understand why if something worked fine (I mean Scelaform in UDK) why you have stopped using it, or I hope EPIC want to integrate it as it was ,but haven
                      t done yet because it is just too early there are other things to be done first ,then they will integrate Scaleform.I hope so=) .
                      P.S. HA! Now all you guys who "can survive" without Scaleform show me what you've done .Yes ,show me your HUD!I guess it is needless to say that to do HUD now it is very very time consuming and difficult.Maybe week or more..
                      I simply do not need HUD right now. An I don't see to use overprived Scaleform, that needs overpriced 3rd party software to create UI...

Especially since I know, that Epic is working on making Slate more designer friendly.
                      I also don't need flashy jumping around menu. After all new trend is to have minimalist UI with maximum information.
                      https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

No point, they're effectively replacing it with Slate.

And in response to this again, future Slate.
                        "You haven't got anything at the moment" does not equal "You have nothing and will always have nothing without scaleform"

Comment

Yes ,so here we figure it out that everybody who create HUD staff and UI need scaleform . Iniside you wrote :
                          I simply do not need HUD right now
                          ,so now you don't need it ,but you should think futher ,months later..when the day when you need UI will come ,you'll start looking for how to create it ,and you'll remember this conversation .SO my point is everyone who needs to create UI likes the idea of Scaleform implementation ,others who don't like just simply don't achive that point in developing process when they need UI.Or they just don't need to create UI at all so they don't care.

Comment

Xendral ,sorry but with Scaleform I could "Draw" my hud in Flash and then use it in engine in minutes .I personnally haven't seen anything about so called "slate" ..So much talks and 0 work here.Never seen anything about this Slate...Show me the prove of "Effective replacing".

Comment

Working...
                            X