No announcement yet.

Optimizing repetitive calculation in material system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's accurate. What kind of graphics card and resolution are you running? 500-600 instructions on a shader at 1080p with dynamic lighting and GI, you'd definitely need a high-end card to be able to run that properly. In a tiny little window, sure, pretty much anything "can" run it because there are so few pixels being rendered, and the only limitations you'd really have with rendering tiny viewport windows have to do with polygons. At that scale, polygons cost more than pixels. You can still have millions of polygons rendering in a tiny space, so tessellation does have a hard ceiling within each graphics card. Maybe I obsess over these things because I operate on a GT 640, but optimization should be important to ensure whatever material you're making will function properly on lower spec PC and consoles. If you have a GTX 980, sure, go crazy. Unfortunately, most people do not.

Comment

For people finding this thread after UE 4.13:

If I understood correctly, OP wanted a way to calculate some outputs from his textures, that wouldn't change over time, and cache them. You can do it now using Render Texture nodes.
      There's an example in https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ge...f-noise-in-ue4 that uses this technique to calculate a complex noise material only once.
      Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
      Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames, Neo Kinect

Comment

Working...
      X