Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY unstable

4.6.1 on win7 64bit.
    It's very unstable and crashes very frequently. I spent more than 60 hours developing a prototype and suddenly the editor crashed and it refuses to open my maps. I tried everything including deleting loads of files and delete then re-install the editor but nothing worked. Finally I realized that the editor is taking more than 18GB of RAM out of my 24. When I gave up I reformatted my PC and installed a fresh win7 64bit then updated it to the latest updates and installed only visual studio express then Unreal. Guess what, It crashes AGAIN!!
    I have submitted loads of crash reports please find a solution. The last thing any game designer wants is to lose so many hours of work.

Raed
    Raed Abbas
    IMDB
    FACEBOOK
    Circle Of Time the game
    Dynamic Shared Camera

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your having problems with the engine, but I have a few things you can try to get it back up and running.

Originally posted by Raed Abbas View Post
    4.6.1 on win7 64bit.
    It's very unstable and crashes very frequently. I spent more than 60 hours developing a prototype and suddenly the editor crashed and it refuses to open my maps. I tried everything including deleting loads of files and delete then re-install the editor but nothing worked.
    Have you tried using the backup autosaves from your project folder? They can be found in the ProjectName\Saved\Autosaves\Game\Maps folder, try opening the editor and loading an earlier one to see if it is a problem with the latest save file.

Finally I realized that the editor is taking more than 18GB of RAM out of my 24.
    That is alarming to say the least... Is this when the editor is idle or while building the lighting? It is normal for building the lighting to take up quite a few gigabytes if you have a larger map, but when the editor is idle I have never seen mine go above 3gb.

When I gave up I reformatted my PC and installed a fresh win7 64bit then updated it to the latest updates and installed only visual studio express then Unreal. Guess what, It crashes AGAIN!!
    I have submitted loads of crash reports please find a solution. The last thing any game designer wants is to lose so many hours of work.
    If you aren't able to load the editor, make sure you download and install the DirectX 2010 redistributable package as it is required (and not automatically downloaded by windows update).

If none of this helps, please create a post about this issue to the Bug Reports / Crashes section of AnswerHub along with the crash logs so Epic staff can investigate further for you.

Thanks, and let us know if any of that helps!
    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

I had very much crashes also, and i figured out smth. If you have wrong name or wrong class name in your configs, which doesnt exist anymore or was renamed, then UE4 will crash when you open your project.

To fix this problem you need to manually change configs with proper names.

1) Rename carefully.
      2) Use backups/perforce.

UE4 has very big problems with renaming. And then it doesnt show you warning message, it crashes instead.
      Last edited by newbprofi; 01-01-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
        Have you tried using the backup autosaves from your project folder? They can be found in the ProjectName\Saved\Autosaves\Game\Maps folder, try opening the editor and loading an earlier one to see if it is a problem with the latest save file.
        I tried but no luck

That is alarming to say the least... Is this when the editor is idle or while building the lighting? It is normal for building the lighting to take up quite a few gigabytes if you have a larger map, but when the editor is idle I have never seen mine go above 3gb.
        I know! that's why I took it more serious than just a crash which happens with many other software. By the way, It took 18GB while idle on a simple example map. It wasn't even my map because I couldn't open it at all.

If you aren't able to load the editor, make sure you download and install the DirectX 2010 redistributable package as it is required (and not automatically downloaded by windows update).
        I think directX comes with my graphic card. I used UE4 for few months without having to download directX

If none of this helps, please create a post about this issue to the Bug Reports / Crashes section of AnswerHub along with the crash logs so Epic staff can investigate further for you.
        Thank you. Now I started my project all over again! If it happens again I will report!
        Raed Abbas
        IMDB
        FACEBOOK
        Circle Of Time the game
        Dynamic Shared Camera

Comment

Originally posted by newbprofi View Post
          I had very much crashes also, and i figured out smth. If you have wrong name or wrong class name in your configs, which doesnt exist anymore or was renamed, then UE4 will crash when you open your project.

To fix this problem you need to manually change configs with proper names.

1) Rename carefully.
          2) Use backups/perforce.

UE4 has very big problems with renaming. And then it doesnt show you warning message, it crashes instead.
          Agree, I started to have the problem when I was trying to rename "door" to "door1". After that even trying to manually rename it back to "door" didn't help. I noticed that it keeps recreating and extra asset "door1" everytime it crashes and when I start the editor again I find both "door" and "door1" and none of them is accessible.
          Raed Abbas
          IMDB
          FACEBOOK
          Circle Of Time the game
          Dynamic Shared Camera

Comment

So when you open the map it crashes the engine? -> post your log file so that we can see what is causing the crash

Also make sure to test it with the 4.7 preview (probably you can get back your content)

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
              So when you open the map it crashes the engine? -> post your log file so that we can see what is causing the crash

Also make sure to test it with the 4.7 preview (probably you can get back your content)
              yes, as soon as I open it it crashes. sometimes it gives me couple of minutes of freezing the system. I tried 4.7 as well but no luck. where do I find the log file?
              Last edited by Raed Abbas; 01-01-2015, 05:12 PM.
              Raed Abbas
              IMDB
              FACEBOOK
              Circle Of Time the game
              Dynamic Shared Camera

Comment

Go to your project folder - saved - logs - the most recent file

Comment

Indeed, you certainly shouldn't be having such issues with a stable version of the engine. That's for sure. Even more so with those system specifications - I'm able to run a stable release on a low end Mac with minimal crashing, for instance (not my main system, obviously!).

So clearly there's something wrong here. Do post up your crash logs, as aforementioned.

Comment

I changed the extinsion to .txt because the forums here didn't allow .log
                    by the way I have loads of Dump-xxxxxxx.dmp files when the crash was happening and no log files at all.
                    Attached Files
                    Raed Abbas
                    IMDB
                    FACEBOOK
                    Circle Of Time the game
                    Dynamic Shared Camera

Comment

Wow it tries to allocate about 50GB of memory O_O.

Could you delete the file: ComputeFilterWidth.uasset? The engine complains about it not having the proper engine version, might be the cause.
                      Sr. Engine Programmer @ www.playspace.com - moritzwundke.com
                      Remember: be polite and respect other peoples opinions - Join the Unofficial Unreal Discord Channel - Found a bug? Then use the Bug Report Form to get it fixed ^^

Comment

Is it suppose to be in the project folder? I can't find any file with that name!!

Found it in the GitHub folder. Delete it anyway?
                        Raed Abbas
                        IMDB
                        FACEBOOK
                        Circle Of Time the game
                        Dynamic Shared Camera

Comment

Should be here

Code:
                          LogLinker:Warning: Asset '../../../Engine/Content/Functions/Engine_MaterialFunctions03/Procedurals/ComputeFilterWidth.uasset' has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
                          But backup the file before you delete it

Comment

I just moved it to the desktop and renamed it. What's next?
                            Raed Abbas
                            IMDB
                            FACEBOOK
                            Circle Of Time the game
                            Dynamic Shared Camera

Comment

tried to open the project and the editor immediately crashed with this msg:

MachineId: DDDBD77C451304E47801A4855B9F0DB5
                              EpicAccountId:

We apologize for the inconvenience.
                              Please send this crash report to help improve our software.
                              Raed Abbas
                              IMDB
                              FACEBOOK
                              Circle Of Time the game
                              Dynamic Shared Camera

Comment

Working...
                              X