(VIDEO) UE4's Geometry Mode is inadequate when compared with that of Quake 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hevedy View Post
    Is not just auto UV, but auto collisions, lightmaps, and the change to edit in map without export and import at any point, hammer is slower workflow than radiant by the way.
    That would be top notch if uv editing could be done so much less dependence on external 3d software(depending what you create}. Currently i try to uv unwrap with blender but ue4 final bake still has "weird" baked light spots on wrong locations(used different uv unwrap modes).
    https://trello.com/c/8H5WBc4m/500-geometry-2-0-tools someone got any info how is progress?
    tox.chat - Skype alternative
    blender.org - 3D suite

Comment

That would be top notch if uv editing could be done so much less dependence on external 3d software(depending what you create}. Currently i try to uv unwrap with blender but ue4 final bake still has "weird" baked light spots on wrong locations(used different uv unwrap modes).
      The thing is that an optimal unwrap for texturing and lightmap is depending on the use case of the mesh. Neither the engine nor a 3d modelling app can guess how the model will be used.
      That is why manual unwrapping beats any automated tool anytime.

Comment

Is not just auto UV, but auto collisions, lightmaps, and the change to edit in map without export and import at any point, hammer is slower workflow than radiant by the way.

It got archived last month, that means that its on hold or abandoned.

That's sad, having something like Black Radiant would save the time of having to deal with UV, Lightmaps and etc...

Comment

Im interested in knowing, is the CSG/BSP part of the engine and editor exposed in C++? Whats stopping someone from just overhauling the current system?
          Stylized Low Poly Environment
          Stylized Low Poly Pine Forest
          Stylized Low Poly Buildings
          First Person Horror Template

Comment

Originally posted by Shirk View Post
            Im interested in knowing, is the CSG/BSP part of the engine and editor exposed in C++? Whats stopping someone from just overhauling the current system?
            Who will do that for free with a engine that is not open source licensed?

That is probably a better question :P
            Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
            Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

It's doesn't have to be free. I'd gladly pay for a plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                It's doesn't have to be free. I'd gladly pay for a plugin.
                Probuilder is coming to ue4, if they ever get their **** together

Comment

That is probably a better question :P
                  Never said it had to be done for free, unless you mean by editing the engine and not being able to sell it. Im sure there are a few people in the community who would do it for free to improve the engine.
                  Stylized Low Poly Environment
                  Stylized Low Poly Pine Forest
                  Stylized Low Poly Buildings
                  First Person Horror Template

Comment

Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post
                    Probuilder is coming to ue4, if they ever get their **** together
                    Even if they will, I will be concerned about support on their side. Wouldn't want to wait for bug fixes as long as we've been waiting the release of the plugin itself.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                      Even if they will, I will be concerned about support on their side. Wouldn't want to wait for bug fixes as long as we've been waiting the release of the plugin itself.
                      Their lack of communication on the plugins development in this community has me very worried.

Comment

They've got a proven track record of solid support on the Unity side. Impatience and entitlement isn't gonna speed things along, making tools takes time.
                        Impromptu Games|dev blog|twitter|itch.io store|Patreon
                        Impromptu Procedural Ladders|Impromptu Procedural Handrails|Impromptu Procedural Stairs
                        |Impromptu Fire Propagation|InFlux Example Game|Impromptu Vector Field Painter

Comment

Yes but not informing the community of how progress is going, really makes people not trust you or your product, The proof is in the puddin as people say and so far i see no proof

Comment

Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post
                            Yes but not informing the community of how progress is going, really makes people not trust you or your product, The proof is in the puddin as people say and so far i see no proof
                            Sure, but hijacking / spamming threads isn't the answer either, especially as this one is for lobbying Epic primarily.
                            Plus Alex P reaffirmed that Geometry 2 as a request is still live on Epic's radar, irrelevant of the latest roadmap etc.
                            Besides, not everyone agrees that Third-Party Plug-ins are the best solution and even the competition offers more...

Comment

Yes third party plugins arent the best solution but they are the only solution right now if epic is going to take 5-10 years to properly integrate proper geometry editing, i would love a future where there is a version of UE4 where all level design can be done in the engine, and you dont need a $1000 software like max or maya or a masters degree in Math and Programming and years of 3D modeling training, We only live so long on this earth after all

Comment

i would love a future where there is a version of UE4 where all level design can be done in the engine, and you dont need a $1000 software like max or maya or a masters degree in Math and Programming and years of 3D modeling training, We only live so long on this earth after all
                                That is already possible. Just think beyond Max and Maya... *cough* modo *cough*

Comment

Working...
                                X