No announcement yet.

Global Illumination alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VXGI looks amazing, and it's already integrated with UE4! Though it feels like tech demo fodder... At least the way they're hyping it up as "only possible because of Maxwell" is troubling. There official product page even says the only supported cards are the GTX980 and GTX970.

Also, as great as the results are, it's still a small scene. I hope something comes out of it though!

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
      More information soon (we haven't even announced that in the Engine news yet =)

Just to whet your appetite (note the sharp contact shadows and soft distant shadows)
      my gawd, this is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerskb View Post

Wow, impressive! I'm not on sub now, is this feature dynamic?!
        TOUR of DUTY

Comment

WTF..... VXGI Lunar Demo running in UE4?????
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9y_AVYMEUs

YOUR THE REAL MVP!

Comment

I'm afraid UE4 is gonna have the worst dynamic lighting after Unity 5 comes out, it's a shame, SVOGI was removed (the biggest selling point)

Comment

I'm anxious to see what will be implemented in UE4 in the end, VXGI, a custom alternative, but I'm confident the Epic's devs will do a great job and really soon.

But I have to say I would love test this VXGI implementation

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerskb View Post

Looks great! Still needs indirect light bounce.

Comment

I don't understand why are people talking about "biggest selling point" etc. in relation to SVOGI/VXGI.

First of all, if you think the biggest selling point of UE4 is/was SVOGI, you are either incredibly ignorant or simply dishonest.
                  Second, you do realize that SVOGI is an extremely resource intensive technique and VXGI requires hardware support (you can use it ONLY on 980 and 970 cards). That means it's unusable for 95% of the PC market. And no, you can't just make it look less appealing on weak systems, it has a high level of baseline performance it needs or it doesn't work properly.
                  Last edited by Terrian; 09-21-2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrian View Post
                    I don't understand why are people talking about "biggest selling point" etc. in relation to SVOGI/VXGI.

First of all, if you think the biggest selling point of UE4 is/was SVOGI, you are either incredibly ignorant or simply dishonest.
                    Second, you do realize that SVOGI is an extremely resource intensive technique and VXGI requires hardware support (you can use it ONLY on 980 and 970 cards). That means it's unusable for 95% of the PC market. And no, you can't just make it look less appealing on weak systems, it has a high level of baseline performance it needs or it doesn't work properly.
                    ??
                    WE are talking about need of having Dynamic Global Illumination. What technique that will that be exactly, is much less relevant.

VXGI actually doesn't showed much of things that wasnt being thought before. Voxel packing, can be achieved in OpenGL using 3D texture and sparse_texture extension. It should work from Radeons 7xxx and GeForce GTX 5xx (bar in mind newer GPUs have better support for sparse textures).

Rasterization is interesting and it is only real thing not present on older GPUs. But this issue can be omitted by using bigger voxels, rasterizing only static object. using cascading, prevoxelizing scene only once for static objects, and voxelzie only dynamic objects on run time.

Either way, dynamic GI or at least one that doesn't require hours of pre computation (like Enlighten in Unity 5 is fast to precompute) is big selling point. As it either make possible to create more dynamic games, or at least do not spend hours waiting for lights to bake, just to discover that we don't really like this lighting setup after all..
                    Last edited by iniside; 09-21-2014, 12:13 PM.
                    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

that's not true. The 980 and 970 architecture was built specifically with it in mind but it will work with other Nvidia cards and even amd cards. Also Nvidia's VXGI is alot cheaper than SVOGI.
                      Also Nvidia implementation comes with quality settings that you change that affects computation time.
                      GTX 770 averages between 7.4 to 12.9ms
                      GTX TITAN averages between 6.6 to 9.6ms.

In comparasion, DFAO costs 4.5ms on a 7970 at 1080p
                      Last edited by Bladerskb; 09-21-2014, 11:57 AM.

Comment

That was the biggest selling point for UE4 in 2012, all the other engines now have all the features, CE has better shaders and Unity5 is getting better lighting, which puts UE4 behind in terms of graphics. (all this just to please the consoles)
                        Last edited by Errvald; 09-21-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                          That was the biggest selling point for UE4 in 2012, all the other engines now have all the features, CE has better shaders and Unity5 is getting better lighting, which puts UE4 behind in terms of graphics. (all this just to please the consoles)
                          The game that brought Global Illumination back to UE4 is being made for Xbox One (Fable Legends). UE4 also has support for mobile phones (which are weaker than consoles).

Comment

Dynamic Global Illumination has been the holy grail of hopes and dreams of what to achieve during real-time rendering. Lighting is very much the most important factor for gaming engines at the moment and coming up with a solution to calculate indirect lighting that has a minor perf cost and good results is a major achievement for current engines. When UE4 first debuted, SVOGI was hands down the most talked about feature and the one everyone was focusing on having for next-gen. Last gen was more about post processing where this one is very much all about getting accurate lighting simulations. It is a huge selling point if any engine can do it right and efficiently and if you bothered to pay attention to the many threads and discussions about GI, you'd see that it is extremely high up on the list of popular most-wanted features for UE4 not too mention, all the articles by the media that specifically highlighted this feature more than anything else when the engine was first shown off to the public.

Comment

I would have to agree with the various posters here: SVOGI was THE selling point of UE4 when it was debuted in 2012. I don't think that can be argued. Now we don't have SVOGI, because it wasn't the best solution for the engine, but at this point UE4 needs a good solution and soon. With UE4 gaining pretty significant adoption rates, Epic is going to have to really deliver on the dynamic lighting front soon, because Unity 5 and CE3 will be way ahead if they don't. Now, don't get me wrong, I think that blueprints are the biggest and best new addition with UE4 (along with Code Hot Reload and other usability features, plus of course, PBR), but many people in the public will not see most of that. They will see dynamic lighting get highlighted this generation and they will see the visuals. At the moment, I would argue that UE4 is the best rendering engine for indoor spaces and relatively small play-spaces, but when it comes to the big open worlds and all that, CE currently blows UE4 out of the water.

I think Epic will be doing something about this; they know that they have to. So now we just need to sit back, continue discussing, and wait for them to blow us away with whatever they choose to go with.
                              UE4 Beta Tester.

Comment

The current situation being Epic will further improve the LPV GI solution is better than if they would spend resources on integrating some fancy but costly GI solution like SVOGI or VXGI. If Epic can provide a full-fledged and improved LPV integration in the upcoming months (this would make for an awesome Christmas present :]), they are in a good spot compared to CryEngine and Unity I think.
                                ArtStation - Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                                X