Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Illumination alternatives

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Originally posted by Daedalus51 View Post
    Hmmm...I am not really sure, but 58.5 ms in Sponza on a GTX770 doesnt seem very efficient Though I must admit that it looks like a interesting idea
    Parts of are interesting. Especially very low memory usage, compared to other techniques
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

    Comment


      #77
      Originally posted by iniside View Post
      Parts of are interesting. Especially very low memory usage, compared to other techniques
      Yep, thats what I got out of it as well. But I wonder how much gpu time they sacrifice as a trade off for memory.
      Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
      https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

      Comment


        #78
        http://hd-prg.com/RVGlobalIllumination.html

        That is very interesting technique. It's uses voxelization step, like the one used with cone tracing, but injects lighting similiarly to LPV.

        It runs very fast, and deals with multiple light source quite well.
        https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

        Comment


          #79
          Just found this article that sounds really promising: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/18/N...ell-flagships/.

          This is the interesting part that is actually relevant to GI: "Finally, high-end maxwell cards will be able to take advantage of games that use Voxel Global Illumination, a new dynamic lighting technology that promises to promises to enable destructive environments with active, realistic lighting. How realistic is it? Realistic enough to debunk moon-landing conspiracy theories, actually. NVIDIA says the new lighting solution will be available for UE4 and other major engines later this year."

          Not sure if that means Epic is working on implementing the solution and it will be available to us as part of the engine within a year or if that means Epic will be able to implement it in a year. Would be nice to know if Epic has any plans with this or if this is news to them too.
          UE4 Beta Tester.

          Comment


            #80
            At the very least that means that Nvidia will have the UE4 integration available and you could contact them about getting it integrated in your game. I'd love for Epic to add it in to the engine though.

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
              At the very least that means that Nvidia will have the UE4 integration available and you could contact them about getting it integrated in your game. I'd love for Epic to add it in to the engine though.
              Check this out... this is it, it's called VXGI. During the 980 reveal, I was pretty shocked to find out that the demo they showed off was in UE4!!! Here's hoping they put this in 4.5 but looks like integration is already happening. Just got a EVGA GTX 980 SC from Newegg and I hope we get to play with this real soon.

              Last edited by MC Stryker; 09-19-2014, 04:57 AM.

              Comment


                #82
                Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                At the very least that means that Nvidia will have the UE4 integration available and you could contact them about getting it integrated in your game. I'd love for Epic to add it in to the engine though.
                I think, if they hope for rapid adoption, this library will be available for free (binary version) to download by anyone to make integration.

                I don't see any big news about someone integrating GI Works, which means people doesn't give a ****. I'm sure if Epic would integrate GI Works into engine, NVIDIA would scream all around to announce big news about it .

                But if the binary version of GI Works would be available for everyone.. Well I guess there are enough people in UE4 community to jump on board and integrate it for everyone benefit.

                Though it depend how much changes to rendering there is needed to maintain reasonable integration. If it can be non invasive and make use of existing systems, I think it's more than reasonable to integrate it into main branch.


                Note VXGI - GI Works.
                https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

                Comment


                  #83
                  Without Epic integrating it as part of the engine it can mean that even if Nvidia provides it for free that people would still have to do some work to make sure that it works correctly with the version of the engine they're using and that it doesn't break or have problems with other features. One of the reasons that SVOGI wasn't kept in the engine was that they didn't want to have to keep doing work to make sure it worked properly with each engine update. So ultimately it would be nice if it would be officially integrated, since many people don't want to mess with coding.

                  I will note though, that while this is being touted as a feature of the new graphics cards that the old ones still support it, it's just that these new ones are optimized for it.

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Tiled Volume Resources are supported on GPUs ranging from Radeons 7xxx and from GTX 6xx up.

                    At least in theory. OpenGL extensions AMD_sparse_texture provides the same functionality.

                    But it depends on their specific implementation. If the data is stored in 3d texture or not.

                    In anycase. It's better to have community maintained dynamic GI, that don't have it .
                    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

                    Comment


                      #85
                      Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                      Without Epic integrating it as part of the engine it can mean that even if Nvidia provides it for free that people would still have to do some work to make sure that it works correctly with the version of the engine they're using and that it doesn't break or have problems with other features. One of the reasons that SVOGI wasn't kept in the engine was that they didn't want to have to keep doing work to make sure it worked properly with each engine update. So ultimately it would be nice if it would be officially integrated, since many people don't want to mess with coding.

                      I will note though, that while this is being touted as a feature of the new graphics cards that the old ones still support it, it's just that these new ones are optimized for it.
                      Interesting, I wonder what the performance difference would be. Does that include the entire Kepler line from the GK104 and up or is it just the GK110?

                      One non-related piece of tech in the 9xx line that caught me a little off guard in a good way is the Direct to VR stuff they have which will really benefit the Oculus Rift.

                      Comment


                        #86
                        I'm not sure how far back it goes, I think it might even work on AMD graphics cards as well, so it could be unrelated to the hardware. In the arguments between Nvidia and AMD they've said that while their Gameworks tools are designed for Nvidia GPU's that there's nothing stopping developers from getting them to work on AMD as well.

                        Comment


                          #87
                          Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                          Without Epic integrating it as part of the engine it can mean that even if Nvidia provides it for free that people would still have to do some work to make sure that it works correctly with the version of the engine they're using and that it doesn't break or have problems with other features. One of the reasons that SVOGI wasn't kept in the engine was that they didn't want to have to keep doing work to make sure it worked properly with each engine update. So ultimately it would be nice if it would be officially integrated, since many people don't want to mess with coding.
                          We're interested in collaborating with Nvidia to see how something like VXGI could be made more easily available for interested developers, but for now it will continue to be developed/maintained by Nvidia so you'll have to work with them directly. If VXGI gains wider adoption across more platforms then we'd be in a better position to maintain an official integration with UE4.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Thanks for the reply Ray! Always great to have the devs commenting here with us.
                            UE4 Beta Tester.

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                              I'm not sure how far back it goes, I think it might even work on AMD graphics cards as well, so it could be unrelated to the hardware. In the arguments between Nvidia and AMD they've said that while their Gameworks tools are designed for Nvidia GPU's that there's nothing stopping developers from getting them to work on AMD as well.
                              Technially this feature is feasble on GPUs starting from Radeon 7xxx.
                              The main innovation I see for this technique is reduced (greatly!), memory usage, by something mysteriously called... Tiled Volume Resources.

                              If you do some digging around, you will quickly realize, that this feature was first proposed by AMD in form AMD_sparse_texture for OpenGL and now is part of ARB, as ARB_sparse_texture.

                              Sparse resources are big part of OpenGL actually and DirectX, still doesn't have important parts of it. Like sparse_buffers.

                              In any case such implementation should be perfectly viable on OpenGL, it would be multiplatform, and the only advantage of 9xx would be faster rasterization step, but that is not that much important, as even nowdays GPUs and algohrithms can voxelize dynamic scene under 2ms.

                              I was actually thinking about using sparse_texture for access to voxels packed into 3d texture. But as it happens, Tiled Resources, on directX do not support access to 3d textures, which is ridiculous..

                              But to make nessessary changes there would be needed access to full source of GameWorks, and I doubt nvidia will just give it away ;p.

                              In anycase I wonder if the NVIDIa integration will be available for public. It would be great.
                              https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Originally posted by Ray Davis View Post
                                We're interested in collaborating with Nvidia to see how something like VXGI could be made more easily available for interested developers, but for now it will continue to be developed/maintained by Nvidia so you'll have to work with them directly. If VXGI gains wider adoption across more platforms then we'd be in a better position to maintain an official integration with UE4.
                                Thanks for chiming in Ray and hope you are enjoying your Friday! That would be amazing to see a feature like this in UE4 and is there a branch that NVidia is working on that we are able to get access to? Also, from your POV, what are the differences/benefits you've noticed with this technique over LPV or even SVOGI? Maybe Daniel can also chime in on this one. But either way, the future is looking bright (pun intended)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X