Global Illumination alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dashiva View Post
    Has anyone tried DFGI with lots of foliage? I ask because my lightmass time for even small maps is huge with a lot of foliage. As a single person developer it would be nice to just set it and forget it.
    I´m using the Master branch, and have no problems with large forests, even with highpoly/texture assets from the kitedemo, getting interior lightning right is more challenging though.

It might be different on older hardware, since only tested on Titan/GTX 980 cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Atle View Post
      I´m using the Master branch, and have no problems with large forests, even with highpoly/texture assets from the kitedemo, getting interior lightning right is more challenging though.

It might be different on older hardware, since only tested on Titan/GTX 980 cards.
      Is there a massive frame drop when you use more than a couple of interior lights?

Comment

Is there a massive frame drop when you use more than a couple of interior lights?
        Depends on the settings, but main problem is artifacts from distant fields AO/GI, but it´s not so obvious on textured surfaces.

Comment

Has anyone tried DFGI with lots of foliage? I ask because my lightmass time for even small maps is huge with a lot of foliage. As a single person developer it would be nice to just set it and forget it.
          I have DFGI turned off for foliage. (Why would you want it applied to foliage?)

I get decent fps and everything is dynamic in this scene

Comment

I am using distance field shadows, looks the same in and out of editor. Its necessary for my p[roject but I am looking at AHR as an alternative.

Here is how my distance field shadows look in a high poly stress test (2.5 million Polys) with 1 distance shadow field at 70% resolution (1 dynamic light source for the scene).

My Marketplace Items

My Website

My Unreal Games

Comment

Originally posted by hallatore View Post
              I have DFGI turned off for foliage. (Why would you want it applied to foliage?)

I get decent fps and everything is dynamic in this scene

Cause it should be applied to everything? At the very least the trees, I can see grass being overkill on fps for affecting GI, which is why I suggested just going for screenspace directional occlusion/raytraced reflections and calling that good enough. But ideally you'd have it affecting everything equally.

But I suppose since it's not been updated the low sampling is still there for foliage getting contribution from DFGI. Which is why you just clump foliage/particles/etc. into boxes and take samples from the center.
              Last edited by Frenetic Pony; 04-13-2015, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Also, since the first paper I ever saw on surfels was for small scale ambient occlusion, is there any idea for using it for that as well? Dynamic ambient occlusion could be yet another improvement, and would have definitive benefits over SSAO, as the haloing, or nowadays (damned kids!) anti haloing artifacts around large depth discontinuities is pretty distracting.

Comment

The trello board for the ue4 roadmap under Dynamic GI it says R & D may not pan out. Will DFGI make it into a final ue4 build?
                  Last edited by _cDub; 04-14-2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanO'Connor View Post
                    CRYENGINE now primarily uses cubemaps from environment probes to handle GI. They even suggest you turn off traditional LPV GI.

Can such a system be implemented into UE4?
                    Why isnt anybody trying to implement this , i shouldnt be too difficult and even if isnt as acurate as something like voxel ray tracing , it looks nice , could be used in dynamic enviroments and is very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by mindflux View Post
                      Fully dynamic, no lightmaps:

Wow!!It looks great! How did you get this? DFGI or any other method?

Comment

Originally posted by diegor View Post
                        Why isnt anybody trying to implement this , i shouldnt be too difficult and even if isnt as acurate as something like voxel ray tracing , it looks nice , could be used in dynamic enviroments and is very fast.
                        It can't be used in dynamic environments, because captured cubemap is static.
                        https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
                          You are looking at the prototype that was in 4.7. DFGI (4.8) does NOT sample SceneColor. Surfels (oriented disks) are placed all over meshes capturing their position and diffuse color. Those are then lit with shadowing to compute how much light they should bounce. Then the scene is lit with the surfels as if they are point lights - Virtual Point Lights. Distance field occlusion is used to shadow these VPLs.

Even with 4.8, I don't have emissive hooked up yet. It should work well for a single object like that, but not for small bright emissive spots due to the surfel disks being fairly sparse.
                          Ah the old sampling problems

Could the work on Multiple Importance Sampling that's done in offline renders (like Modo's new upcoming additions) solve this particular sampling problem?
                          Seems like the surfels sampling position could benefit from it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slide002.png
Views:	1
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1074629

https://graphics.stanford.edu/course...h-chapter9.pdf

Or maybe I'm just blabbering and I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                            Besides, we already have that kind of system using spherical captures that push diffuse information on surfaces using a console command. Don't remember which though maybe something on the lines of "r.diffuseFromCaptures = 1", you need to search the forums I think someone has made a brief tutorial along with a discussion in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by max.pareschi View Post
                              Besides, we already have that kind of system using spherical captures that push diffuse information on surfaces using a console command. Don't remember which though maybe something on the lines of "r.diffuseFromCaptures = 1", you need to search the forums I think someone has made a brief tutorial along with a discussion in another thread.
                              This doesn't work properly though. The way it's setup doesn't make it an easy workflow choice.
                              --
                              Joshua
                              Multimedia Artist, Druid Gameworks
                              www.joshuaezzell.com
                              www.druidgameworks.com

Comment

Cube map are not inherently static , other game engines like unity can render them dynamically in an efficient way , because the rendering is distributed is distributed across several frames and you can even create scripts that makes them to only be rendered again when http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class...tionProbe.html

This doesn't work properly though. The way it's setup doesn't make it an easy workflow choice.
                                Can you further elaborate on this , do you mean that that cube maps have to be carefully placed in lighted areas , in that case , what can be done to improve this system , aside from better dynamic cubemaps , maybe automatic placement of them

Comment

Working...
                                X