Global Illumination alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gboxentertainment View Post
    The Gameworks VXGI thats been integrated with UE4 doesn't give their code away.
    Yep my friend! That is why I really don't know why Enlighten be integrated for UE4. We will have the biggest choice in choosing the GI solution we want

Comment

Gameworks is not integrated in UE4, they have a seperate branch for this.
      Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
      Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

I have been experimenting with the new GI recently and have been quite impressed with the results that I have been getting, especially considering that I've only been using freely available assets and that setting up good lighting is not my area.

However today, I did something that has basically killed nearly all the GI lighting in my maps. I'm not sure what caused this, but I think it was because I moved two map assets from one folder to another. There is nothing else that I did that I can think of that caused this, as I'm getting similar results in all three of the maps in the project now. In two of the maps I still get some GI lighting, as shown by using the toggle under the lighting feature menu. But a lot less and darker than it was before. In the other scene, only one object still shows any GI effect.

I've tried a number of things to "reset" the lighting, including deleting the lights and re-adding them, with the same settings as before. Commenting out the "r.DistanceFieldGI=1" then restarting the editor, and then closing it again, and then turning GI back on and starting the editor again. Disabling the generate mesh distance field settings, and then re-enabling it again (including the required restarts). But nothing seems to get the lighting back to how it was. So does anyone have any ideas if moving the maps could have caused this, and how to fix it?

Before:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ruins6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	1070552

After:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ruins10-dark.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1070553
        Attached Files

Comment

It's seems the difference is you added a Skylight actor in your second scene?
          http://davidboura.deviantart.com/gallery/
          https://soundcloud.com/davidboura

Comment

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
            Geomerics for UE4 looks very good: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...y-supports-UE4

Unity 5 has it integrated by default and now Unity 5 is free. I really hope Epic adds it to UE4 too !
            I've tested the new lighting system in Unity 5 and it's not very good, the worst thing is that it takes much much longer to build lighting than it did for the old static system. And once it's done it only works for static objects that already exist in the scene.

VXGI is probably the ultimate solution, once more PC's can handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by David Boura View Post
              It's seems the difference is you added a Skylight actor in your second scene?
              I just had to double check incase I had somehow made that mistake, but no the lighting is exactly the same. There is only a one sky light and one directional light in each scene. Even though I have now deleted the old lights and re-added them, I have made sure all the settings were the same. Either way the result is the same as before I deleted the old lights. This all happened after I moved the maps to a different folder, then a bit later I was switching between a couple of the maps when I realised that the lighting had changed from earlier. It is possible that the change had happened before I moved the maps assets, or even after, because I wasn't working on the lighting at the time I wasn't really taking that much notice. I just can't think or see any other changes that might have caused this.

Comment

Did you ever had static lighting on in this map? *Might be* it was still using some lightmaps, and now they got invalidated and removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikand79 View Post
                  Did you ever had static lighting on in this map? *Might be* it was still using some lightmaps, and now they got invalidated and removed.
                  No, I have only ever had dynamic lighting, and it happens in all three maps now; all three have only ever had dynamic lighting, as I first created them to test that feature. Also before I could see that the GI was working by using turning off the "Lighting Features->Distance Field Global Illumination". By using that I can still see that two of the maps are still getting some GI, it just is darker and more "flat" looking. While the other map, only has one object (a bench) that seems to get any GI.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

I just downloaded 4.8 from GitHub and have been trying out DFGI and also translucent materials with SSR, and while not quite perfect yet, I must say it's looking VERY promising. Dynamic GI (that doesn't leak like LPV did) and translucent materials with reflections were really the two only things I felt really needed fixing when it comes to rendering, so I just want to thank you, DanielW, and the rest of the team for this awesomeness =)

Comment

Originally posted by Frepp View Post
                      I just downloaded 4.8 from GitHub and have been trying out DFGI and also translucent materials with SSR, and while not quite perfect yet, I must say it's looking VERY promising. Dynamic GI (that doesn't leak like LPV did) and translucent materials with reflections were really the two only things I felt really needed fixing when it comes to rendering, so I just want to thank you, DanielW, and the rest of the team for this awesomeness =)
                      4.8? is this a typo?

Comment

Originally posted by gboxentertainment View Post
                        4.8? is this a typo?
                        The Master Branch is 4.8, but very buggy

Comment

Originally posted by dinker99 View Post
                          The Master Branch is 4.8, but very buggy
                          Yes, I remember its actually been 4.8 for a while - since 4.7 preview was released.

Comment

with the latest 4.8 master branch - dfgi seems to work only for directional lights - and not very well.
                            I've got a skylight and have ticked Force No Precompute Lighting and have distance fields turned on as well as r.DistanceFieldGI=1.
                            What else am I doing wrong?

Comment

Not a typo, it's 4.8, but as pointed out it's pretty buggy so far. I haven't had any crashes so far, but it's not ready for release, hence its placement in Promoted/Master branches.
                              I've only tried the one in the Promoted branch so I can't comment on the Master branch. I have not tried and tested lots of different light types, but as the scenes I currently do only use Directional and Sky Light it's enough for me at the moment =)

Comment

So does DFGI require DX11 to work? Does that mean I'm out of luck on my Mac Pro? Is that why I haven't been able to get even regular GI / Lightmass to work at all (or DFGI or LPV, following the instructions in this thread)?

Comment

Working...
                                X