No announcement yet.

Global Illumination alternatives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ gboxentertainment, both VXGI and DFGI current states and demands frighten me for the time being. It seems we won't see a decent dynamic GI solution with full features in UE4 any time soon. I really miss SVOGI.

Comment

So I just had a look at the DFGI code. I noticed that it samples the SceneColor texture
      You are looking at the prototype that was in 4.7. DFGI (4.8) does NOT sample SceneColor. Surfels (oriented disks) are placed all over meshes capturing their position and diffuse color. Those are then lit with shadowing to compute how much light they should bounce. Then the scene is lit with the surfels as if they are point lights - Virtual Point Lights. Distance field occlusion is used to shadow these VPLs.

Even with 4.8, I don't have emissive hooked up yet. It should work well for a single object like that, but not for small bright emissive spots due to the surfel disks being fairly sparse.

Comment

@PLASTICA-MAN: Given how early it is for both VXGI and DFGI, I see it the opposite way. I'm actually excited about their potential! SVOGI comes with it's own set of limitations (especially for large environments) and wasn't scrapped for no reason.
        ArtStation

Comment

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
          @ gboxentertainment, both VXGI and DFGI current states and demands frighten me for the time being. It seems we won't see a decent dynamic GI solution with full features in UE4 any time soon. I really miss SVOGI.
          The current VXGI implementation should be theoretically more efficient and to the same quality than SVOGI, simply because it uses cascaded 3D textures which are sampled directly by the cone tracing. The sampling of octrees was quite intensive by comparison. The reason why SVOGI was able to run on a gtx680 was because a lot of its meshes had to be static, whereas VXGI can be fully dynamic. The use of direct 3D textures instead of octrees is the only difference between the two techniques and everything that was done in SVOGI can be done in VXGI.

Comment

Originally posted by gboxentertainment View Post
            The current VXGI implementation should be theoretically more efficient and to the same quality than SVOGI, simply because it uses cascaded 3D textures which are sampled directly by the cone tracing. The sampling of octrees was quite intensive by comparison. The reason why SVOGI was able to run on a gtx680 was because a lot of its meshes had to be static, whereas VXGI can be fully dynamic. The use of direct 3D textures instead of octrees is the only difference between the two techniques and everything that was done in SVOGI can be done in VXGI.
            I think the complaint is that VXGI won't run on anything but Nvidia cards, whereas SVOGI was brand agnostic.

Comment

The version that Nvidia integrated is agnostic, DX11 is required, not Nvidia hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarepupil View Post
                I think the complaint is that VXGI won't run on anything but Nvidia cards, whereas SVOGI was brand agnostic.
                where did it say this?

Comment

Originally posted by Squarepupil View Post
                  Not true, all it needs is DX11

Comment

Depending on the scene, the current VXGI state can actually do a pretty good job. Take a look at some tests I've done: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post234588

The main problem with VXGI right now is the lack of multiple bounces, because it makes real-time reflections impossible for indirect lighting.
                    Guilherme Rabello Co-founder, Sureale
                    Artstation | Behance | Youtube | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by rabellogp View Post
                      Depending on the scene, the current VXGI state can actually do a pretty good job. Take a look at some tests I've done: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post234588

The main problem with VXGI right now is the lack of multiple bounces, because it makes real-time reflections impossible for indirect lighting.
                      Great work you did there buddy. I know about the problem you mentioned and I told Mike about it. Not only that, but you need to enable SSR to get some reflections while SSR is not good to project indirect reflections resulting from indrect lighting caused by one bounce or even two from source lights that may be away from your screen space.

Comment

Geomerics for UE4 looks very good: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...y-supports-UE4

Unity 5 has it integrated by default and now Unity 5 is free. I really hope Epic adds it to UE4 too !

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
                          Even with 4.8, I don't have emissive hooked up yet. It should work well for a single object like that, but not for small bright emissive spots due to the surfel disks being fairly sparse.
                          Dear Daniel,

Thank you for UE4 Rendering!

I am amazed to see the changes occurring with each new version!

Rama
                          100+ UE4 C++ Tutorials on the UE4 Code Wiki, including UE4 Multi-Threading!

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Visit www.ue4code.com to see lots of videos about my C++ Creations! ♥ Rama

Comment

Geomerics for UE4 looks very good: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...y-supports-UE4

Unity 5 has it integrated by default and now Unity 5 is free. I really hope Epic adds it to UE4 too !
                            Yeah but the problem still remains, Unlike unity, Unreal Engine 4 provides full access to its source code that's why in unity it's integrated by default but they can't (don't want to) do that in UE4 unless they want to give their code away.
                            "sic parvis magna"
                            @Meguido

Comment

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for UE4 Rendering!
                              I am just a small part of the Epic rendering team =)

Comment

Originally posted by Meguido View Post
                                Yeah but the problem still remains, Unlike unity, Unreal Engine 4 provides full access to its source code that's why in unity it's integrated by default but they can't (don't want to) do that in UE4 unless they want to give their code away.
                                The Gameworks VXGI thats been integrated with UE4 doesn't give their code away.

Comment

Working...
                                X