No announcement yet.

Global Illumination alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though i don't see any difference between DFAO and DFGI, i added "r.DistanceFieldGI=1" in the ConsoleVariables.ini but it doesn't seem to change anything
    DFGI won't be until 4.8, or compile master

In latest master, Distance Field GI consists of both Surfel GI (arbitrary meshes) and heightfield GI (landscape) and they work together.

Comment

Really excited about this, looking really good thus far! While I see the excitement for VXGI, I think Daniels work is what's actually going to be the biggest game changer right now.

Comment

Can anyone offer a comparison of these in Side-by-Side comparison photos / videos :-

HDR vs. PBR vs. GI vs. Enlighten...

... (Thanks in advance)
        Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 02-26-2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
          Can anyone offer a comparison of these in Side-by-Side comparison photos / videos :-

HDR vs. PBR vs. GI vs. Enlighten...

... (Thanks in advance)

Sorry, but I dont get it You cant compare those! HDR=High Dynamic Range (which is just a term for something), PBR=Physical Based Rendering (another term for something) GI=Global Illumination (aaaand another term for something Enlighten=A middleware for GI

How can you compare HDR to PBR? Thats not working at all since HDR rendering is part of PBR for example. I dont want to sound rude, but I think you should first read again on what these terms mean etc and then rephrase a proper question
          Check out UNREAL 4 Lighting Academy
          https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ng-like-that-)

Comment

No worries. Thanks for following up Daedalus51... In short I'm trying to understand how UE4-PBR stacks up against Unty5-Enlighten versus Unity 4.x-HDR packs... There's a similar thread at the moment comparing Cryengine, Unity and UE4, but not at a level of comparing rendering systems...

#1. HDR vs. PBR....
            The HDR rendering in these Unity packs appears strikingly similar to UE4's PBR... I'd like to understand the relative strengths and weaknesses of both.

Skyshop: Image-Based Lighting Tools & Shaders
            https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/8880
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xPkzqUy8kw
            Lux – physically based shader framework
            https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/16000

#2. GI... Enlighten
            Along the way to researching an answer to #1, I came across posts tying in GI and Enlighten (see below). So I was wondering if there were any pictorial comparisons (even fake mockups done in photoshop illustrating the differences.)

A. Unity 5.0 Enlighten CAN:
            http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/enl...-video.277415/

B. Dynamic Global illumination
            https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post229901

C. Enlighten Engine can process Global Illumination even on mobile....
            https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Unreal-Engine
            Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 02-26-2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Cool, thanks Chariots! Much appreciated!

Before, I never cared much about what was going on under the hood..... But with :-

UE4+PBR vs. Unity5+Enlighten vs. Unity4+HDR/PBR_Shaders vs. Cryengine+LPV...

I think its important now to have a sense of the relative strengths and weakness of each render system…
              Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
                Cool, thanks Chariots! Much appreciated!

Before, I never cared much about what was going on under the hood..... But with :-

UE4+PBR vs. Unity5+Enlighten vs. Unity4+HDR/PBR_Shaders vs. Cryengine+LPV...

I think its important now to have a sense of the relative strengths and weakness of each render system…
                You have it still a bit wrong

Unity5 + Enlighten uses PBR for the shaders and Enlighten is just the middleware they decided on for their indirect illumination. Skyshop does something similar to Enlighten...it provides a indirect light environment for your scene. The difference is, skyshop does this based on an image and it cant change, Enlighten does it based on the lights and colors of your scene and those can change in runtime.

You should write it like that to make it make sense^^ UE4 PBR (wich is using Pixars model) vs: Unity5 PBR (which is using something I dont know) vs. Unity4x (using whatever PBR extension you might want) vs. Cryengines PBR (which is also using something different, since they dont use roughness for example).

Now you got the shading part. Next step would be to compare the different lighting techniques:

Unreal4 Lightmass (static) vs. Unity5 Enlighten (in static mode, yeah I know it sounds weird, but apparently Unity5 uses Enlighten also for static light baking) vs. whatever in Unity4x vs. Cryengine (always dynamic, BUT not LPV. They got removed when they went for PBR)

And finally Unreal4 dynamic lighting (this could be the LPV or the distance field features) vs. Unity5 Enlighten (this time the dynamic version of Enlighten) vs. whatever there is for Unity4 vs. Cryengine.

Sorry for being so picky, but I got the feeling you were still confused about what these terms actually mean and what is doing what

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for this explanation Deadalus!
                  (are you the Deadalus i was used to know on Maxwell forum?)
                  http://davidboura.deviantart.com/gallery/
                  https://soundcloud.com/davidboura

Comment

Originally posted by David Boura View Post
                    Thanks for this explanation Deadalus!
                    (are you the Deadalus i was used to know on Maxwell forum?)
                    Nope, I am not^^

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus51 View Post
                      Hope this helps
                      Really appreciate the technical insight Daedalus51! You're dead right! I thought I was swimming in the shallow end but quickly got into trouble and started to sink! I'm still threading water on a few things too :-

............................................................................................
                      #1. GI is just a generic term to describe different Static and Dynamic engine-based Lighting systems...?

#2. What is Direct versus Indirect illumination...?

#3. From link-B in post #268 above... There are no 'Dynamic moveable lights' in UE4. True / False???

#4. Still hazy on HDR / PBR. What are the key differences with regard to this: In the Skyshop link above PBR is never mentioned instead it reads:
                      .....'Skyshop is a comprehensive suite of shaders & tools for HDR image-based lighting in Unity. Illuminate your scenes with natural light!'
                      Whereas LUX's blurb reads:
                      .....Lux is an open source framework that brings physically based shading and image based ambient lighting to unity'

#5. From the above list of game engines, any strong opinions about :-
                      ....A. Whose PBR shaders are best?
                      ....B. Whose static lighting system is strongest?
                      ....C. Whose Dynamic Lighting system is better?
                      Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 02-26-2015, 06:25 PM.

Comment

1-GI means Global Illumination, it means that the light bounces after it hits a surface, like sunlight coming through a window illuminates the entire room to some degree because it bounces off the floor. Baked lighting in UE4 already does this, but it takes a lot of processing power so getting something that gives a similar effect with dynamic lighting is a new feature that many people would like.
                        2-Direct lighting would be like where on the floor the sun hits first, and then indirect would be the illumination from the bounces after that
                        3-HDR is high dynamic range, a computer usually controls color on a range of 0-255, which is limiting because for instance something that is white would be the same value as something that's very bright. HDR can store that information on a higher range, so that something that is bright would be higher than a 1.0 value
                        PBR is physically based in how it shades the materials, and how it controls energy values, it controls things like reflections and diffuse colors so that they look accurate
                        4-PBR should be similar across engines, since it's based off physically accurate values, but UE4 has the added benefit of more realistic reflections (reflection probes, SSR) and the material editor in UE4 is way way way better than any other material system in a game engine. The shaders in Unity are strict, if you want to use a texture in a different way, you have to write a new shader. With static lighting, UE4 is best, it just does a better job than Unity.
                        Dynamic lighting----Enlighting gives dynamic GI at a high quality, but it only works with meshes that aren't moving, the lights can move but the objects can't. Plus, there's some preprocessing that has to be done, where the system creates low-poly meshes of everything that it uses for lighting.
                        In UE4, Distance Field GI is more flexible (it can be used with animated objects and it will support deformable objects at some point) and it's also faster, though not as good results. There's also a little bit of preprocessing involved since you have to calculate distance fields for each object.
                        There's also VXGI option for UE4 now, which is Nvidia's dynamic GI system, the benefits are that it gives better quality than DFGI, supports everything, and there's no preprocessing involved. The downside of VXGI is that it's slower so it needs more powerful graphics cards.

Comment

@darthviper107
                          @Chariots

Thanks so much...
                          Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 02-26-2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
                            I built a little DFGI testscene. It's such a promising approach, keep up the fantastic work Daniel!

Time of day GIF

I like where this is going! Keep it up!

Comment

I have a couple questions about the current implementation of DFAO / DFGI, given that it seems to be the main direction the engine is heading for realtime lighting (LPV isn't getting much love)

1 - How suitable will DFGI ever be for interior scenes, given that the key light is currently cast from a movable skylight? Can other lights in a scene, for example if you had a spot light in the centre of a room, contribute?

2 - Given that it's a DX11 feature, how does the engine handle fallback to a non-supported computer?
                              PSX Shaders | Gangster Weapon Pack | Free Weapon Pack | Various Free Models

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFace View Post
                                I have a couple questions about the current implementation of DFAO / DFGI, given that it seems to be the main direction the engine is heading for realtime lighting (LPV isn't getting much love)

1 - How suitable will DFGI ever be for interior scenes, given that the key light is currently cast from a movable skylight? Can other lights in a scene, for example if you had a spot light in the centre of a room, contribute?

2 - Given that it's a DX11 feature, how does the engine handle fallback to a non-supported computer?
                                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post230463

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
                                DFGI only supports directional lights right now (aka what you get if you build Master in GitHub), but bounce from all light types is planned and it is certainly not almost free =) It's high end PC atm, hopefully will be able to optimize it down to mid spec PC in the coming months. Static GI is always going to be cheaper than fully dynamic GI.
                                FREE Lightshow
                                FREE VR Drum Kit Project

FREE Color LUT Collection
                                FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
                                FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
                                Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
                                Camera Crossfade

Comment

Working...
                                X