No announcement yet.

Global Illumination alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please someone give us the direct link on Github for DFGI. Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
      Please someone give us the direct link on Github for DFGI. Thanks !
      It's on previous page =/
      Originally posted by Chariots
      Currently distance field gi is disabled, only heightfield gi (landscape) works. If you want to test DFGI, you need to get an older build. Something like this might work: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...3f3e1d95069e0a

Disclaimer, I haven't tried this build, its just a build that is before the heightfield commit.
      SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
      Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
        It's on previous page =/
        Huh? I don't see any zip or clone this to desktop option to get this? How do I download this to compile it? It works for which UE4 version? 4.6? 4.5?

Comment

Originally posted by PLASTICA-MAN View Post
          Huh? I don't see any zip or clone this to desktop option to get this? How do I download this to compile it? It works for which UE4 version? 4.6? 4.5?
          Browse files button

Comment

Browse files button
            Ok Thanks

Comment

I can have DFGI starting with 4.8 builds as an active option and then it may get even better (faster, higher quality) with later builds ?
              DFGI will be disabled by default in 4.8, and will remain until we are happy with performance and quality and consider it to be usable. Right now the bounce distance is too small, the performance cost is too large and there are bright spots sometimes where objects meet. It's very early.

To test it out before 4.8:
              * Get latest master branch on github (note this is often broken with compile errors and the like)
              * put r.DistanceFieldGI=1 in the [Startup] section of Engine\Config\ConsoleVariables.ini\ConsoleVariables.ini
              * Enable GenerateMeshDistanceFields in the project settings under Engine -> Renderer, restart editor (same for all distance field lighting)
              * Place a movable skylight. This is required even for GI at the moment.
              * Place a movable directional light

Check out the DFAO page for restrictions, in particular only static meshes, instanced static meshes (including foliage with opt-in bAffectDistanceFieldLighting) and landscape supported for bouncing lighting.

Comment

Is there a way to lower the strength or the intensity of the DFGI? I'm working on a night scene and the defaults are too strong.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
                  To test it out before 4.8:
                  * Get latest master branch on github (note this is often broken with compile errors and the like)
                  How do you find a build of the Master Branch that actually works?

Comment

Originally posted by dinker99 View Post
                    How do you find a build of the Master Branch that actually works?
                    Promoted branch is "stable" version of master branch

Comment

Thanks for clearing DanielW
                      ArtStation

General Development Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
                        Check out the DFAO page for restrictions, in particular only static meshes, instanced static meshes (including foliage with opt-in bAffectDistanceFieldLighting) and landscape supported for bouncing lighting.
                        Huh, which page to check? Also when 4.7 comes out and a 4.8 preview build will be out in the launcher, will it be available and activated by default in that preview build?

Comment

Promoted branch is "stable" version of master branch
                          I tried the latest Promoted and the Editor never even started.

Comment

I don't know what that error is =( Usually if I got something like that I would manually wipe the Engine/Intermediate and GameName/Intermediate, the generate project files again.

DFAO page is here - note the documentation does not contain DFAO improvements since 4.6 like it working on instanced meshes or landscape
                            https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ion/index.html
                            First google result for DFAO btw =)

Also when 4.7 comes out and a 4.8 preview build will be out in the launcher, will it be available and activated by default in that preview build?
                            No, DFGI needs some work before enabling by default, so you will have to opt-in for 4.8.

Comment

By the way sorry for trollin the thread continously but is DFGI the thing that Roadmap mentions as " Dynamic GI Research" ?

https://trello.com/c/YV0SQmqn/481-dynamic-gi-research
                              ArtStation

General Development Blog

Comment

Hello, i just tested DFAO and it seems really better than LPV to me ^^
                                Thanks so much for the already awesome work !

Though i don't see any difference between DFAO and DFGI, i added "r.DistanceFieldGI=1" in the ConsoleVariables.ini but it doesn't seem to change anything
                                Is there a way to check if DGFI is active?

Maybe it is because i have not compiled the last master version? I have take a promoted version that seemed to have surfel GI +heightfield GI working together (https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...e95fd8573d9f37)
                                Last edited by Sunny94; 02-25-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X