No announcement yet.

Global Illumination alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

omgosh pics in these threads are amazing.
    danielw, you have outdone yourself this time.

Comment

I'm kindof amazed it works at all in these levels that I haven't tested since it's so early and the implementation is so complex =)

Somebody post a time lapse with the sun direction changing if you will, that's where dynamic GI really shines.

Mobile temple quality clearly needs some work.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
        Somebody post a time lapse with the sun direction changing if you will, that's where dynamic GI really shines.
        Actually I did

ArtStation - Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
          You will need to build from master branch.
          Oh okay, weird that it works with the stand alone .exe without the github builds.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
            I built a little DFGI testscene. It's such a promising approach, keep up the fantastic work Daniel!

Time of day GIF

I can't stop looking at that gif, it's amazing - it reminds me of the first time I saw SVOGI in action. Imagine what 2 bounce of indirect light would look like Keep up the awesome work Daniel!
            TOUR of DUTY

Comment

This + Skylight = Solution?

Comment

Hi The_Distiller,

Can you explain how did you do the timeday? How you can update the sky material? Some steps about the DFGI description much appreciated.

I also compiled the master branch and used indirect lighting and the results are very good!

Comment

There is no sky material there, I simply used atmospheric fog and a directional light. That's it
                  ArtStation - Portfolio

Comment

i'm at a loss on how to get any results. I've built mine from master branch on github and I've enabled both variables in the consoleVariables.ini files?
                    am I missing something else? are there other ini files? did I put it in the wrong one?
                    i've put a directional light/point light, atmospheric fog, turned on force precompute lighting, can't think of anything else to get this thing going?

please help

Comment

Holy bananas, that looks fantastic

I was wondering if you've tested out this GI solution with an indoor scene and dynamic man-made lighting (switchable lights, flashlights, etc.)?

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
                      Actually I did

Comment

Is it me, or do Shadows look insanely dark even at midday? Mind you I don't think this is necessarily anything to do with the DFGI implementation, more just games in general. I mean, if you go outside in that environment IRL, you'd probably see hardly any shadow at all, or if you did it'd be considerably more lit up and faded than that.

This whole thread is crazy though... man. Epic have some of the smartest rendering people. Turnaround time on this has been insane.

Comment

Wow, I am excited for this! Great work so far.

Comment

@Laserman: You did tick "Generate mesh distance field" in the projects settings under rendering right?

@Nick!: I haven't tested it in a real indoor environment, yet. I think it's too early for that, since the current iteration of the tech has lots of artifacts in shadowed areas.
                            Last edited by The_Distiller; 02-11-2015, 09:17 AM.
                            ArtStation - Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                              Is it me, or do Shadows look insanely dark even at midday?
                              I don't know if light from the rest of the sky would be intense enough to brighten those shadodws, but do remember that this is a stand alone building so the shadows on the floor are receiving very little bounce light from the building. If you had a few buildings in there then you would get both more shadows and more bounced light.

How many bounces does this method currently support, and will the number of bounces be adjustable either on a per project basis or by the end user to suit their hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                                Is it me, or do Shadows look insanely dark even at midday? Mind you I don't think this is necessarily anything to do with the DFGI implementation, more just games in general. I mean, if you go outside in that environment IRL, you'd probably see hardly any shadow at all, or if you did it'd be considerably more lit up and faded than that.

This whole thread is crazy though... man. Epic have some of the smartest rendering people. Turnaround time on this has been insane.
                                The problem is that this method does not support insanely long bounce distances, It's something between 10-15 meters, it supports only one bounce.
                                But when then bounce reaches another surface, it actually looks very good, and transfer quite a lot of light information. If there would be support for 2-3 bounces, and high quality of indirect shadowing, this technique, can be used for realtime lighting of interiors, due the fact it does not leak trough thin meshes.

I don't think the intention is to use this as standalone thing to light your scene. You probabaly want to use with SkyLight intensity set to something else than 0 (;.
                                https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Working...
                                X