Global Illumination alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
    You have to enable "Generate Mesh Distance Fields" in the project settings under "rendering" in the editor.
    It is enabled and I've got soft shadows and ao working, but no GI

Comment

Originally posted by gboxentertainment View Post
      It is enabled and I've got soft shadows and ao working, but no GI
      Are you using version from promoted branch ? That one was screen space. If you want the new goodies, you will need to compile master branch.
      https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Ok I compiled it from sources and decided to test. For the sake of it I used broadleaf tree, single landscape (2k) and dynamic lights.

With distance field enabled rendering something like 650 instanced of this tree took 22ms (about 44fps).
        Rendering without distance fields took like 18ms (about 55fps).

At this point, I think the bigger problem was amount of trees, than the fact they had distance fields on them. In more realistic scenarios you would probabaly never rendering this amount of things at once.

One problem I noticed though is that seem like Distance field shadows got backfired, since they seem to not work, even though, they are enabled.

Bah. For some reason DistanceFieldShadowing variable was on 0.

Now difference between enabled and disabled GI on the same scene is about 2ms. And that's on Draw (draw is CPU time ?).
        For me that's good enough! To be perfectly useable. Especially in more realistic scenario, than spamming trees all around on giant landscape load entirely at once .

I'm impressed. Waiting for more informations!.

Edit:
        To be clear. Enabling DFAO on tree + GI is well worth it, since they look like 10x times better with AO alone .
        And I used the foliage lighting model in material.
        Last edited by iniside; 12-20-2014, 02:52 PM.
        https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
          Are you using version from promoted branch ? That one was screen space. If you want the new goodies, you will need to compile master branch.
          I'm using this version:
          Change 2390645 by Daniel.Wright@DWRIGHT-Z2430-UE4 on 2014/12/16 19:59:21
          Distance Field Global Illumination first working version.

Does it make a difference if I build the lighting?

Comment

Ok, so I think the screen space version works in 4.7 as part of the AO - maybe because I've been able to build the lighting. However, in change 2390645, I can't seem to build lighting - comes up with a staticmesh error.

Comment

I've downloaded the entire latest Master branch and still the same problem. Even when I build the lighting, there's no gi.

Comment

Originally posted by gboxentertainment View Post
                I've downloaded the entire latest Master branch and still the same problem. Even when I build the lighting, there's no gi.
                The GI is working, it just doesn't,t capture color information. Bounces are only tray scale.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                  The GI is working, it just doesn't,t capture color information. Bounces are only tray scale.
                  ah okay, and I've also noticed that it only works properly when a direct light is added.

Comment

This is the same location but slightly different Time of Day.
                    Its truly amazing when you compare them.
                    Keep up the amazing job Daniel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DistanceFieldAO2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	1064494

Last edited by Bladerskb; 12-23-2014, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Just want to say, please don't take stuff to heart Daniel, there are a lot of people who wouldn't normally post (me included) who hugely appreciate and value your posts but don't show it. It's looking really awesome and I love the breakdowns, really want to see more and would be very grateful if you continued to post.

Really awesome stuff, this stuff is pretty huge.

Comment

Hey Daniel. I completely agree with jestersheepy. Your work looks amazing and I am personally extremely excited about this, as I've wanted to start a project but cant until there is some form of realtime GI and your solution would be perfect for it. Thanks and keep up the great work !!

Comment

Looks amazing indeed *o*
                          SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
                          Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Originally posted by Ad3ViLl View Post
                            Hey Daniel. I completely agree with jestersheepy. Your work looks amazing and I am personally extremely excited about this, as I've wanted to start a project but cant until there is some form of realtime GI and your solution would be perfect for it. Thanks and keep up the great work !!
                            +1 Super excited for it.

Comment

Really cool stuff. I've been playing with it for a couple hours and the results are great for preliminary work.

If I can request something though: would it be possible to use DFAO (and the future GI) with baked stationary lighting? I want to bake a skylight and use the DFAO/GI ontop of it for realtime night/day + movable objects.

Comment

Am I bumping this thread? Yeah, I'm bumping this thread. This thread deserves to be bumped. This looks AMAZING!!! And cost-effective, too! Please, continue to flood us with pretty pictures of GI. It's been around in some form for at least four years, but it's still not getting old at all! It looks awesome. Hopefully the final GI solution will work with pointlights (important) and emissive (more of a want than a need), but I'm getting all giddy again at the thought of dynamic GI actually happening. Yes, Epic, please take my money.

Comment

Working...
                                X