I want Feedback from Epic about Mono for Unreal Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shadowriver View Post
    Technically you can implement any scripting solution to UE4, so there really not issue to bring C# and considering large demands somebody will do it, one way or another, in fact there is already few project on work. Also UE4 plug-in business is not even fire up yet as there no set way to distribute them, so first that need to be done. Epic didn't released the source of the engine for this cheap just for you to look at it, they don't do plug-in system just for themselves, they make it to be extendable as people want.

Why not pick freedom of choice instead of C# monopol?
    Up for it, infact I propose a partership with Xamarin.

btw, never said that I couldn't live without C#, I simply wanted to provide a feedback on the matter being this section called "feedback", everything that was needed was "we taken it into consideration, we are not doing it". that's all, instead I read all sort of reply stating that C# is pointless from people who don't know a thing. that's all.

Comment

"The only one advantage of C# over C++ is easier grammer, that is it, that is all, nothing more."
      You obviously haven't seen what productivity gains you can get from the Visual Studio / Resharper combo.

http://youtu.be/0EWXXXnZTkM?list=PLQ...v9YPIvUmulyz4Q
      Take a look at the other video's in the playlist as well

This is a great example and note that it is a lot slower because he is teaching you. Its tools like resharper and many other VS extensions that are aimed at C# that make it a lot more appealing to work with.
      Tools like this help you to learn, maintain and improve the quality of your code. This is where C++ is currently lacking. In the end a programming language is a tool and a good tool should help you perform a job better, more efficiently and faster.

For example the macros you need to add to expose a property in C++ to blueprints has very poor support to discover the options you can use with it. Configuration is done basically with strings. In C# and in particular the Mono implementation these are done using c# attributes. Because tools like intellisence in visual studio and resharper know how to understand these i can pretty well guess what i am looking for based on the feedback and suggestions it provides. No issues caused by typo's in your strings either.

All i'm hoping for is Epic partners with Xamarin to help them bring Mono for UE to a full product. Both gain from this. Epic gains by expanding its market reach and Xamarin by gaining customers.
      Last edited by nitro52; 01-24-2015, 06:51 AM.

Comment

@nitro52

Reshaper, VAX, Intelisense, all do same thing. VAX and standard VS intelisense works just fine for C++ too.

I doubt will be any C# bindings to UE4 anytime soon. Some peoples have a passion doing useless things, like doing bindings for complex C++ just to write in C#. Hmm..

I prefer Epic do stuff on engine instead losing time to write bindings or tailor the engine because of C#. If at any point in time, Epic will decide to drop C++ for anything else, everybody will fallow them, because they will have solid reason for that. Until then, C++ is here to stay. Is not Epic job to do stuff for C# just because some users can't live with out it.

All this thread is only focused on how good is C#... IMO should be closed.

Comment

Originally posted by TDoro View Post
          @nitro52

Reshaper, VAX, Intelisense, all do same thing. VAX and standard VS intelisense works just fine for C++ too.

I doubt will be any C# bindings to UE4 anytime soon. Some peoples have a passion doing useless things, like doing bindings for complex C++ just to write in C#. Hmm..

I prefer Epic do stuff on engine instead losing time to write bindings or tailor the engine because of C#. If at any point in time, Epic will decide to drop C++ for anything else, everybody will fallow them, because they will have solid reason for that. Until then, C++ is here to stay. Is not Epic job to do stuff for C# just because some users can't live with out it.

All this thread is only focused on how good is C#... IMO should be closed.
          Actully it might be easier as UE4 got reflection system, it's self aware of what functions and varables it has, so there possibility of making more dynamic binding by using it and at least have access to functions that you already have access in blueprint. And it's not just C# but it possible for any scripting solution. If i'm not mistaken there scripting plugin example that use it.

You obviously haven't seen what productivity gains you can get from the Visual Studio / Resharper combo.

http://youtu.be/0EWXXXnZTkM?list=PLQ...v9YPIvUmulyz4Q
          Take a look at the other video's in the playlist as well

This is a great example and note that it is a lot slower because he is teaching you. Its tools like resharper and many other VS extensions that are aimed at C# that make it a lot more appealing to work with.
          Tools like this help you to learn, maintain and improve the quality of your code. This is where C++ is currently lacking. In the end a programming language is a tool and a good tool should help you perform a job better, more efficiently and faster.
          You are aware that there also productivity VS expansions for C++ too?
          Last edited by Shadowriver; 01-24-2015, 11:03 AM.
          =========
          My Tutorials:
          Basic knowledge about Classes and UObject environment and stuff like that

Comment

You are aware that there also productivity VS expansions for C++ too?
            Yes but from what i have experienced so for they are not as good as when you get with C# / VS / Resharper combo. In an earlier post i mentioned resharper is making a C++ version so that should help a lot. But using there beta thing are still clunky and slow. And it doesn't really solve the magic string issues of macro's.

Comment

Originally posted by nitro52 View Post
              Yes but from what i have experienced so for they are not as good as when you get with C# / VS / Resharper combo. In an earlier post i mentioned resharper is making a C++ version so that should help a lot. But using there beta thing are still clunky and slow. And it doesn't really solve the magic string issues of macro's.
              I recently made the move from Unity to Unreal Engine. I had been using Unity and C# since 2009, and I liked it alot. I had never touched C# prior to 2009, and so I only had about 5 years of experience with it. Was C# perfect, was Mono under Unity perfect? No, not at all, but what language is? I hadn't touched C++ in over 7+ years ( and even then I wasn't a C++ veteran ), and yet I took the dive during Christmas vacation, and was able to get right back up to speed with C++.

The most difficult part of the Unreal C++ process was just getting used to the Unreal API. I would suggest code examples inside the C++ Unreal API Documentation. Unity's documentation had greatly improved once they included example code in the API Documentation.

I was comfortable with C#, yet I grew unhappy with the slow, closed door development cycle Unity is following, having to pay a $1800 upgrade fee for what is really a fairly medium update ( 5.0 ). I knew that part of the move to Unreal was having to get back onto the C++ horse, one that I had only barely learned to ride 7+ years ago. Yet it was the transparent development practices of Epic, the amazing feature additions since March 2014, and the fact that Epic actually makes games with their own engine aka "Eats their own Dog Food" that made the choice of switching from Unity to Unreal Engine worth having to relearn C++ worth it.

If someone makes a C# scripting plugin for Unreal Engine, great, go ahead and use it, support it. In the meanwhile, Epic has been VERY clear about why they wouldn't be doing the work themselves, and I for one applaud their choice. I'd rather Epic remain focused on the core development of the engine, adding features that add to the whole, not increase their development time and support load beyond what C++ and Blueprints already does.

For those in the thread that are supporters of C#, I'd say, give C++ a chance, it is worth it. I was a lover of Code Rush, a VERY similar produce to ReSharper, I found out about VAX - Visual Assist X for C++ by Whole Tomato Software, and it was everything that Code Rush / ReShaper was for C#. I basically can't live without it, and it was much cheaper then Code Rush to boot
              Last edited by Institute Games; 01-31-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks @Card and Dungeon, I'm developing with C++ for nearly 20 years and never used VAX, but I have to say I love it!
                Sr. Engine Programmer @ www.playspace.com - moritzwundke.com
                Remember: be polite and respect other peoples opinions - Join the Unofficial Unreal Discord Channel - Found a bug? Then use the Bug Report Form to get it fixed ^^

Comment

For what it's worth, as an employer who looks at several dozen applications per month (I know, not a lot), I would never hire someone without C++ knowledge and I see every single person whining about "Why doesn't UE support X" as extremely lazy and unwilling / unable to learn new things. This is exact anti thesis of a programmer.

Edit: Ah dammit, didn't see the thread age, sorry about the necro.

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post
                    For what it's worth, as an employer who looks at several dozen applications per month (I know, not a lot), I would never hire someone without C++ knowledge and I see every single person whining about "Why doesn't UE support X" as extremely lazy and unwilling / unable to learn new things. This is exact anti thesis of a programmer.

Edit: Ah dammit, didn't see the thread age, sorry about the necro.
                    Oh no, this thread is going to be sitting on top again for a while! What have you done!?

Anyhow, I agree. If you are a programmer, there is no reason picking up a new language should be all that challenging. The REAL challenge is learning the Unreal API. I suggest, instead of poking the (already overworked) Epic team to support a high-level - nearly useless for optimized anything - language, instead, poke them for better documentation.

Disclaimer* - I think the documentation is great! I am simply stating that there is a better alternative request.

Comment

Guys shhhh, it was dying away gracefully

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                        Guys shhhh, it was dying away gracefully
                        Oh no, it's to late for that now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luke__s_Can_of_Worms_by_munchester2cool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1076087

Comment

Ok, I am going to get bashed for this.

May I suggest creating an byte code language for Unreal Engine so, people can write frontend language (C++, C#) atop LLVM to compile it to Unreal Engine ByteCode :P

Comment

I would kill for UE4 with C# + .net along with a simple, component-based system. That's the reason I plan to switch back to Unity after this project and 8 months with UE4. It just doesn't work out for me with Blueprint-only and C++ is simply no option for me. I really love many things in Unreal but the lack of a modern, text-based scripting language with a working ecosystem was always the elephant in the room.
                            Last edited by spyro; 07-27-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

*** NECRO SCOLDING ***

Honestly guys,

this discussion should be over by now.
                              Not constructive at all, just flames based on biased opinions.
                              Tim Sweeney TOLD everyone quite literally to "bite the bullet", so do it or get left behind.
                              Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
                              Xamarin's C# integration is promising and follows a technically well thought-out design, however this is a fairly complicated topic.
                              Therefore, my recommendation for developers who want to use UE4 but prefer C# over C++ is to bite the bullet and give C++ a thorough chance. All of us at Epic clearly see the many ways that programming in C# is more enjoyable than C++, from header-free source code to generics to rediced boilerplate code. However, C++ is a language that scales upward without limit, and the experience of whole-program debugging (engine and game together) is incredibly illuminating, as are the power and visibility that come from having the full C++ source and ability to call into any part of it.
                              If you really want to see mono integrated you should write to xamarin, not Epic, as they are more than able to port mono by themselves, the UE source is out there for anyone.
                              C'mon, even the guys at SookumScript did it, and btw I would very much prefer to work with a language like that, very game-centric.

So, remember, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN, so let's just redirect creativity into other threads.

Comment

I know. That's why I have to take the consequences. Just wanted to give this as feedback, nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                                X