I want Feedback from Epic about Mono for Unreal Engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matmuze View Post
    Wow, that's it guys, abandon the C#/.NET ship, it is just about "grammer", this folk has all figured out.

You sir, must truly know what you are talking about...
    Same as you talking to get rid of blueprint ; p
    =========
    My Tutorials:
    Basic knowledge about Classes and UObject environment and stuff like that

Comment

Originally posted by matmuze View Post
      Wow, that's it guys, abandon the C#/.NET ship, it is just about "grammer", this folk has all figured out.

You sir, must truly know what you are talking about...
      Why so mad ?
      I wont be mad like you so I will just say if you claim any of technical advantages like performance, security, portability, stability C# over C++ just share it.
      But dont fool people with arguments like 'it will be just a wrapper, everything would be exactly same' stuff.
      I will listen gladly and learn something new maybe.
      https://canerozdemirportfolio.wordpress.com

Comment

You know what ?
        Forget it, someone wants to get rid of blueprint because of blind fanboying with C# is not worth listening.
        I will tell the hurting truth again.
        There is no big technical advantage C# over C++ beyond grammer. Well I may be wrong but AAA companies may not.
        XNA is over kiddo, deal with it.
        Someone must tell you, game engines like UE4, CryEngine... are not aimed for beginners like you, I suggest you to start with easier engines like Unity.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Let's keep the conversation professional and civil. There is no need to personally attack other users for their opinions. Thank you!
          Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
          How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

Well I love Blueprint and C++. Now I have the option of programming in the language of the engine or a more visual Blueprint option. Coming from a background scripting in Torque Script I have many times asked my self why not programming directly in C++ when Torque Script is C like in syntax already.

I do understand that some people wish to have their own favorite language as an option as much time have been invested in learning a new language. Perhaps giving Blueprint and C++ a chance might change your minds?

Originally I started out hating Blueprint but now I utterly love this setup. So many options and so much flexibility. Strong visual scripting and still able to be so close to the source with C++. By using Blueprint I am able to work much faster and I can still use my programming skills making systems for doors, footsteps etc. that checks for Boolean variables and then hook them up against triggers which all contribute to the quality of game play experience.

In the beginning I would say that Blueprint is not programming but as I use it more and more now I must say that it is still programming just a more visual style.

Give it a chance and be surprised.

That said then I think a C# option could be a good alternative for some people. You have the source codes so hooking it up should be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by caner_ozdemir View Post
              There is no big technical advantage C# over C++ beyond grammer.
              http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...-c-performance

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...f-c-sharp-vs-c
              Last edited by MaxiHori; 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

closed as primarily opinion-based
                Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.
                This sums it up quite well though:
                The most important factor in determining the speed and efficiency of a program is not the language used to program it, but the people behind the keyboards.
                I want to see as many languages as possible incorporated with the built in scripting support. But as mentioned previously, why should C# be added instead of Lua and others?
                Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

I understand that maybe it is your first time on Stack Overflow but just READING the most voted comments (and if you want the curriculum of the ones that wrote them) could help you a bit.

and how many times do I have to give you the same answer? C# is more productive than lua, more everything actually.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxiHori View Post
                    I understand that maybe it is your first time on Stack Overflow but just READING the most voted comments (and if you want the curriculum of the ones that wrote them) could help you a bit.
                    Lol... good one.

and how many times do I have to give you the same answer? C# is more productive than lua, more everything actually.
                    Until I actually get an answer as to why C# should take precedence over other scripting languages. Not because it is "better" but an actual concrete answer on why we should exclude people who prefer another language, lua is just an example.

I am also a (former) .net dev using C# in WPF/Forms applications for a few years before moving to game development. I know it is a great language and I thoroughly enjoyed using it. Now I have moved on and started to work with C++, and again I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I do understand your point and agree it would be great to use C# in UE4, but I don't agree that it should become a built in language.
                    Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Really? Are you being serious right now?
                      Please, read thoughtfully top posts. Thoughtfully. Every one of them says basically "Don't listen people when A language better than B language", every top message from your link is CONTRARY to position you're trying to prove =/
                      It's ridiculous how same text can give different information to people

Top Post #1:
                      Now, I'm not saying that C++ could not have been used to achieve even better performance than mine. On the contrary, I'm sure it could have achieved better performance
                      So there is no easy way to compare C++ and C# fairly in this context.
                      I think the only piece of good advice I can give you here is: do your own research and don't listen to the unwashed masses.
                      Top Post #2:
                      The most important factor in determining the speed and efficiency of a program is not the language used to program it, but the people behind the keyboards.
                      Does that mean F# is faster than C++? No. What it means is the person behind the F# keyboard (Jon) is better than me. I have no doubt about that.
                      Does that mean C++ is faster than F#? No. What it means is our systems are a mature product that has been developed by experts in the field (at great cost) over several years
                      Top Post #3
                      (Just to keep nice list)
                      The difference is that in C++ you can choose when to destroy unneeded objects.
                      Top Post #4
                      This may be a little off-topic; as others have pointed out, performance is relative and you can write poorly performing code regardless of whether you have garbage collection
                      SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
                      Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

another importat value of blueprints is that you can use only the mouse, soooo with the left hand you can carry a beer!! amazing!!!.

Comment

I give up, whatever.. I mean even just LINQ would be enough to answer all your questions and there are literally hundreds of feature that HAD BEEN WRITTEN in previous posts and some are even written in the 2 links that I gave you.
                          What you just did was picking up the sentence that you wanted ignoring all the rest while I get to be called "fanboy" and stuff like "if u like C# go back to unity" proving once more than you have no idea on what you are talking about, or saying something like "why not any other language LIKE LUA"...

This is beyond pointless.

Comment

Does that mean F# is faster than C++? No. What it means is the person behind the F# keyboard (Jon) is better than me. I have no doubt about that.
                            It's like putting my grandfather into Mercedes SLR-McLaren and putting Michael Schumacher into Renault Clio and saying
                            "LOOK YOUR GRANDFATHER HAS JUST LOST THE RACE, YOU CANT CLAIM THAT MERCEDES-SLR MCLAREN IS FASTER THAN RENAULT CLIO"
                            Yeah I cant claim really, hahaha.
                            I just cant claim you will win the race with Mercedes SLR-McLaren and I can perfectly claim it is a faster car.
                            These are just different stuff, and this is the definition of manipulation on human mind with arguments like that.

Comment

Quoting myself:
                              What you just did was picking up the sentence that you wanted ignoring all the rest

Does that mean C++ is faster than F#? No. What it means is our systems are a mature product that has been developed by experts in the field (at great cost) over several years.
                              10 rows below, TEN ROWS! really....
                              Last edited by MaxiHori; 01-20-2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I give up, whatever.. I mean even just LINQ would be enough to answer all your questions and there are literally hundreds of feature that HAD BEEN WRITTEN in previous posts and some are even written in the 2 links that I gave you.
                                What you just did was picking up the sentence that you wanted ignoring all the rest while I get to be called "fanboy" and stuff like "if u like C# go back to unity" proving once more than you have no idea on what you are talking about, or saying something like "why not any other language LIKE LUA"...

This is beyond pointless.
                                Because you act like a fanboy, you seem to not stand fact that UE4 don't have C# like it can't exist without it, you even proposing removal of other scripting solutions which actually increse accessibility for no reason (some other guy proposed removal of C++ which is even more nonsense) and you not want to even hear about other solutions, because C# is only true way to go for you or else somebody doing grave mistake.

Technically you can implement any scripting solution to UE4, so there really not issue to bring C# and considering large demands somebody will do it, one way or another, in fact there is already few project on work. Also UE4 plug-in business is not even fire up yet as there no set way to distribute them, so first that need to be done. Epic didn't released the source of the engine for this cheap just for you to look at it, they don't do plug-in system just for themselves, they make it to be extendable as people want.

Why not pick freedom of choice instead of C# monopol?
                                =========
                                My Tutorials:
                                Basic knowledge about Classes and UObject environment and stuff like that

Comment

Working...
                                X