Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Veovis Muad'dib View Post
    Also, I'm a programmer. I think much more clearly in code. Blueprints are great for triggers and other logic like that. But trying to make a system entirely in Blueprints is beyond me. I struggle to make advanced logic that doesn't literally look like a spaghetti mess. Artists and level designers and people without 10-20 years of programming experience will find blueprints easier. I find them harder.
    [/U].
    Then why don't you write base classes in C++?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i totally agree with the concept of a high level scripting environment within ue4, the other engine i use has c++ and lua and its wonderful. lua to basically script the gameplay (simple with no compiling), and c++ is there for the more demanding/core elements.

i too find blueprints somewhat cumbersome awkward for anything much more than a trigger, and c++ just too.. erm.. involved (or a better word) for scripting gameplay.
    some scripting layer inbetween would really open it up to some interesting and rapid possibilities.
    anyone that thinks this is not a good idea cant be seeing it properly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't care if it's C#, Javascript, Lua, Python, or whatever. I need something in my game that is high level and isn't visual/drag and drop/tied to the $20/month editor.

My games need to be modable. Right now I can't justify saying to my users "Pay Epic money and you can mod my game", because modding is something between me and my users, and it should be free. That's how people become game developers now.

It doesn't have to replace Blueprints. In fact if it's done the way the stalled Lua integration works, then it depends on Blueprints to survive, and any improvements to the API will also improve Blueprints.

Also, I'm a programmer. I think much more clearly in code. Blueprints are great for triggers and other logic like that. But trying to make a system entirely in Blueprints is beyond me. I struggle to make advanced logic that doesn't literally look like a spaghetti mess. Artists and level designers and people without 10-20 years of programming experience will find blueprints easier. I find them harder.

Hooking up some other language for rapid iteration and using the Blueprint API would be great. Letting the game interpret that language at runtime would be even better.

This doesn't have to come at the expense of Blueprints, it can help make them better.
    Last edited by Veovis Muad'dib; 01-18-2015, 06:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Get rid of blueprints?? For c#?
    So you are essentially asking to stop progress and disallow users that either find writing code tedious or just find traditional programming really difficult with all that non English syntax to stop using Unreal?

Why on earth would you ask for something like this? If you are already a programmer then it should be fairly easy for you to adjust and use c++. If not (like me) you learn blueprints and you can create games without a single line of traditional code. If this is not progress then I do not know what is!

Grasping this opportunity I would like to thank from the bottom of my heart whoever was responsible for the blueprints system. You sir are a true visionary and you gave the opportunity to many people around the world to chase their dreams. After a few months of using them I can confidently say that I have learned the basics of programming and I have a fully functional game thanks to them.

Please stop for a second and think how revolutionary this system is ,for you to ask them to drop it , and how important it is for many of us ,since it helped us enter the video game development business by dropping the huge barrier of learning from scratch a medieval (just kidding) way of making our player move.
    Last edited by Roccinio; 01-18-2015, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by matmuze View Post
    Well being lazy is a good thing in my opinion, it allows to be much more productive actually...

I'd rather like to spend time coding actual game logic rather than spending most of my time describing how to do it to the computer...

If everybody was thinking like you we would still be coding in assembly code...
    They will put C# and what ?
    More indie developers would use UE4, thanks but no thanks.
    These guys are just decreasing reputation and prestige of Unreal Engine 4.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXlx5-qtrrY
    People are starting to make fun with UE4 anyway.
    They need more professional hardcore companies.

The only one advantage of C# over C++ is easier grammer, that is it, that is all, nothing more.
    Other than that it has tons of disadvantages.
    Of course you may think, C++ and C# could perfectly coexists together and hell yes.
    But the problem is they dont have enough resources to put, build-up, improve and update these things.
    If a serious big company asks for it, they could and would have. But no one will ask for it except indie developers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by amigo View Post
    Frankly, all this started because a handful of people came from Unity where they invested time to learn C# and now they are complaining there's no C# in UE4.

Well, the easiest solution is for all five (six?) of you C# programmers to band together and write your own C# plugin for UE4, or just go back to Unity (really, if you think it's better there because of C#, by all means, go). Just stop trying to cram down your personal holier-than-thou beliefs of C# onto everyone else.

I can't believe I actually subscribed to this thread hoping for some value (I'll correct this right away by unsubscribing).
    Thank you for the constructive feedback, bye !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Frankly, all this started because a handful of people came from Unity where they invested time to learn C# and now they are complaining there's no C# in UE4.

Well, the easiest solution is for all five (six?) of you C# programmers to band together and write your own C# plugin for UE4, or just go back to Unity (really, if you think it's better there because of C#, by all means, go). Just stop trying to cram down your personal holier-than-thou beliefs of C# onto everyone else.

I can't believe I actually subscribed to this thread hoping for some value (I'll correct this right away by unsubscribing).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
    Did I really read someone asking Epic to replace Blueprints for C#?!
    Hahaha... Hell no!

.Net software is so easy to hack and reverse to source code, it's not even funny.
    Cheaters just love games made on top of .Net.
    And it is not more productive, you are just lazy to learn something that is new to you, while for many othes learning something new is simply a joy. Just quit being lazy and learn new things!
    Well being lazy is a good thing in my opinion, it allows to be much more productive actually...

I'd rather like to spend time coding actual game logic rather than spending most of my time describing how to do it to the computer...

If everybody was thinking like you we would still be coding in assembly code...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hahaha... Hell no!

.Net software is so easy to hack and reverse to source code, it's not even funny.
    And it is not more productive, you are just lazy to learn something that is new to you, while for many othes learning something new is simply a joy. Just quit being lazy and learn new things!
    No one wants to replace Blueprints with C# don't worry, they could perfectly coexists.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hahaha... Hell no!

+1.........

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hahaha... Hell no!

Last edited by BrUnO XaVIeR; 01-18-2015, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One professional and big company uses Unreal 4 may bring more reputation, money and everything than 100.000 standart users.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This kind of thread again ...

Instead of losing time doing threads like this guys better learn a bit of C++.. UE4 C++ implementation is super. If you all claim that you know so good C#, C++ isn't hard to learn then. Seriously, are you guys real programmers or what?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    C# is a turtle compared with blueprints. The programers of my work use unity and I in my house use unreal and i spend minus time in similar tasks. Btw one day i did make a game with unity and i used java because you dont need write void.
    Write code is a complety Medioval thing. Blueprints is amazing jump in gamedevelop.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iniside View Post
    Stop complaining and create C# bindings then. Noone is stopping you.

We just don't want resources to being diverted from flag ship features (C++ and Blueprints), to something that most people don't care (C# and other languages bindings).

If you really can't create gameplay code using C++ in unreal versions, I don't think you will have any big success creating gameplay code using any other language.
    No thank you I already have a job, which keeps me pretty busy

I am perfectly able to create a game with C++, I could also probably make one in assembly code, I just don't want to because I know my productivity would suffer in the end.

C++ should be only used when needed, and when coding simple game logic it is totally not needed, sorry to break your C++ fanatic dreams...

I see that you are concerned about Epic wasting resources for the so called "Flag ship" features... Let me explain you a basic mathematical principle that can also be applied to marketing:

C# will bring more users, more users = more $$$ = more money to invest on your dear "Flag ship" features...

You see it is not so hard to understand, maybe if you were not too busy learning C++ you would have had time to realize that.
    Last edited by matmuze; 01-18-2015, 01:07 PM. Reason: removed derogatory comment

Leave a comment:

Working...
X