Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menu Tutorial and Menu with Graphics Settings Change Tutorial would be nice

Hello,

First: a Menu Tutorial using blueprints would be nice!

Second: a Menu Tutorial with Graphic Settings using Blueprints would be nicer! Or even detecting the user hardware and setting the graphics detail automatically when the game starts?

When I use U4 on my desktop (last generation) it all works just fine. But when I tested the example 1st person level (the one with the boxes) on my laptop (not so old: i7 1st gen, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia 320 1GB RAM) it did't run so well. Now this is a very simple level and even when I compile it to exe it doesn't work well. Probably a tutorial about setting graphics in-game would solve this?

Thank you.
    YES! This is very important to my workflow and would be beneficial.
    91.47%
    Maybe. It might be nice, but not urgent.
    7.58%
    No. I do not feel this suggestion is necessary.
    0.95%
    A 3D Adventure Game developed using Unreal Engine 4

There's a menu in the ShooterGame example (Not sure if it's blueprint or C++ but it's there) and I believe Tappy Chicken & Swing Ninja have menus too. Reverse engineering them would be the way to go.
    - R
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Hi BechD,

Thank you for your post, I have added a poll to this post to gauge how the community feels about feature requests. We may be encouraging users to create polls for future feature requests. Have a great day!
      Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
      How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

Thank you for adding a poll.

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
        There's a menu in the ShooterGame example (Not sure if it's blueprint or C++ but it's there) and I believe Tappy Chicken & Swing Ninja have menus too. Reverse engineering them would be the way to go.
        - R
        I have seen the Menus from the examples. However it is pretty difficult for someone with zero experience with Unreal Engine 4 to reverse engineer them.
        And I couldn't find a more complex menu with graphics options in the examples or the tutorials.

I just thought it would be a nice place to start as any game starts with a menu where you can find graphics, audio options, maybe even customise your character, select a name, view cutscenes and so on.

Comment

I am a self proclaimed tinker of game Engines... one of the things I like to do is build menu's and set in place the look of what I would want my game to have. If I ever got to the point, where I could get toons put in a engine, to be able to experience some of the menus and lands I built, I'd be stoked.

Kinda bummed I can't Work on my log on menu's.
          Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
          Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

Okay if this double posts, sorry, I don't think it replied properly the first time.

There is a console command that should auto detect settings. You can execute it from a blueprint, I believe it's "Scalability auto" (might be without the ""). I hate to plug myself, but I have made a very dirty unpolished youtube tutorial for how to create a basic menu, which includes saving the settings and loading them at game start. It's not as efficient as changing the user config inis, but I'm still waiting on an answer for how to do that in the answer hub. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...pCbuJW5zVbNfd6. There are some mistakes in it, but if you skip through the videos and just see the process hopefully it'll make sense.

You can do all that you want to do in blueprints, but I would very much recommend taking a look at how savegame blueprints work. If you want to store your characters name, it'll be in a savegame blueprint, if you want to store what equipment is in what slot, you'll want to use a savegame blueprint. Tappy Chicken is the best example for it.
            Last edited by amiserablerobot; 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by amiserablerobot View Post
              Okay if this double posts, sorry, I don't think it replied properly the first time.

There is a console command that should auto detect settings. You can execute it from a blueprint, I believe it's "Scalability auto" (might be without the ""). I hate to plug myself, but I have made a very dirty unpolished youtube tutorial for how to create a basic menu, which includes saving the settings and loading them at game start. It's not as efficient as changing the user config inis, but I'm still waiting on an answer for how to do that in the answer hub. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...pCbuJW5zVbNfd6. There are some mistakes in it, but if you skip through the videos and just see the process hopefully it'll make sense.

You can do all that you want to do in blueprints, but I would very much recommend taking a look at how savegame blueprints work. If you want to store your characters name, it'll be in a savegame blueprint, if you want to store what equipment is in what slot, you'll want to use a savegame blueprint. Tappy Chicken is the best example for it.
              Thank you very much for your answer. Your tutorials are great!
              Although your tutorials solve much of the issue i would still like a tutorial from Epic - and I will explain why I think this is important and what it should contain (in my opinion - please feel free to add other ideas):

There are two issues of the project that have not been discussed: the beginning and the end parts of the project (everyone kind of jumped right in the middle of things - so did I - that's were the fun part is).

1. The beginning of the project: that's where you think of all the game modes your project will contain and plan the menu, save game, variables, and so on.
              2. The end of the project (and I couldn't find much about that in the documentation) is how to compile the project, if there are any options.

So I suggest the following tutorial that will create a game with the next features:

1. The game starts with a loading screen and auto-sets the graphisc settings according to the user hardware (if it's possible).
              2. The loading screen is followed by a movie that can be skiped by clicking (just to get this out of the way - that's how games usually start...)
              3. The game starts as a default 1st person - the level has a room - just 4 walls - something extremly simple)
              4. There are two way to enter the Menu:
              4.1 By hitting the ESC key (or M key or whatever)
              4.2 By moving the crosshair over a mesh button (that highlights when the crosshair is over it) and clicking the mouse button.
              5. The menu has a background image over the screen and five buttons (or text) - New Game, Save Game, Load Game, Settings and Quit. Mouse cursor is enabled when the Menu is active so you can select with the mouse.
              6. New game resets the level, Save Game saves the player position and another variable (for example if an object has been picked up or not) and writes them to a file, Load Game shows the current save game file list and loads a game, Settings modifies the graphics settings, and Quit... quits. A key (Esc?) dismisses the Menu.

Anyway those are my ideas - I really hope Epic makes a tutorial about setting the game up - and maybe includes some of these ideas in it. Please write your suggestions for such a tutorial.

Thank you.

Comment

BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
                PRO version can be bought on my site only.
                www.3dalex.com

Comment

You do know the guy who made that tutorial already linked to it in this very thread right?

Comment

Yes, but is not that visible.
                    BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
                    PRO version can be bought on my site only.
                    www.3dalex.com

Comment

Yes, I agree with BechD. Trying to reverse engineer example from Unreal tutorial is a pain, especially when you have little experience in coding. Most games start with a simple buttons and menu, but recreating it from scratch in UE4 has been a real challenge.

Until i can develop a nice interface for my demo, I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

Rumor is UE4 is developing a new WYSIWYG slate for us non-developer (aka artist).

Comment

If you take a look at the Pause Menu in Content Examples, that's a good starting point for reverse engineering (that's how I learned to do them).

One thing I haven't found yet though (please correct me if I'm wrong) is any kind of menu interaction using a controller via Blueprint. It would be great to see something either with a list of options in a menu that can be toggled between using the gamepad, or allowing the gamepad thumbstick to override the mouse cursor.

Comment

Working...
                        X