Level Editor: Update reference on copy/paste

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Level Editor: Update reference on copy/paste

It would be nice if there was a way to have object instance references automatically (or optionally) updated when copying/pasting objects in the editor.

It may be difficult to know what I'm talking about here, so let's use a specific example:

- - - - -

A map contains two blueprint actors - "A1" and "B1" - placed somewhere by a level designer. The A1 is an object of a BP class that has a public, editable variable called "Link" which takes a reference of type Actor Object. The level designer has assigned B1 to this variable, thus linking the two objects together because they need to be able to talk to each other during gameplay for some reason. They are separate actors, but belong together.

The designer now wants another set of these, and selects both A1 and B1, copies them, then pastes them somewhere else, creating A2 and B2.

The problem is that the actor object reference in the new A2 object still points to B1 rather than B2, which was the designer's intention.

Essentially, I would like to see a special paste operation that automatically checks if the paste buffer contains multiple actors, and if so checks whether any of them references any of the others in the buffer. If that is the case, these references should be updated to point to the new copy (A2:Link = B2 in the example) rather than remain unchanged.

- - - -

Disclaimer: If there's already a way to do this that I have somehow managed to overlook, then I'd love to hear about how it's done!
Working...
X