• Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks mike
    tegleg.co.uk - indie electronic music label
    Android + HTML5 WIP Physics Game
    PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

I download your blend file and exported it C4D (still not good enough in Blender to do anything serious).. Your wheels are all off center slightly, the _R ones in particular are quite bad. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-11-22 11.46.30.png
Views:	1
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	1061332

I would recommend you go and fix that, then delete the volumes in PHAT and redo them.

Comment

thanks for having a look Anadin, have you tried it properly centered in ue4?

i know they are slightly off center, it was the best i could do at the time, modeling is not my strong point. the model was downloaded from google warehouse and not made by me, i only rigged and optimized it.
        as far as i can tell, it doesnt affect the physics simulation and is only a visual representation. physx creates a wheel shape, i presume is properly centered on the bone.
        if this is the problem please let me know.
        ill try with a model from steven the 'unwheel modeler' tomorrow just incase, i know his model will be spot on.

bet u all just want my ace car to raz around in really lol
        1000+ hp and bump up the final gear ratio

edit;
        off topic slightly
        the wings/wheel arches/whatever they are called, are badly shaded, how would i get it smooth? if anyone knows about blender.

next day edit;
        so, with properly centered wheels on a different mesh, i still get a lot of suspension force noise specially on acceleration. turning left clears the noise, turning right still has noise. stationary vehicles still hardly move on impact.
        i cant give away that mesh as i didnt make it sorry.

more editing;
        if you push a stationary car and manage to make 1 of its wheels hit the chassis of the moving car it 'pings' into the air.
        there is definitely something strange going on with the wheels.
        must be over a year since vehicles were first introduced to ue4 and they are still extremely bad. perhaps its time to start actually making my own instead, seems like a battle you cant win with the physx one
        Last edited by tegleg; 11-22-2014, 07:01 PM.
        PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
          i know they are slightly off center
          I fixed that already, I re-centred the mesh as well, also I noticed the wheel bones are on the outside of the car witch is fine for the back wheels as you can just change the offset but with the front wheels when you steer they are rotating around a point kind of opposite where they should pivot so I moved the wheel bones into the centre of the wheels.

bet u all just want my ace car to raz around in really lol
          well after a lot of effort to get the car working in UE (I swear it never used to be that hard) I would say it drifts pretty well (with functioning counter steer), I even managed to do a full donut

the wings/wheel arches/whatever they are called, are badly shaded, how would i get it smooth?
          usually I would say apply smooth groups or use the edge split modifier but the mesh has some messed up geometry, I cleaned the front wheel arches up a bit but it would need quite a bit of work to get perfect.

so, with properly centered wheels on a different mesh, i still get a lot of suspension force noise specially on acceleration. turning left clears the noise, turning right still has noise.
          that is weird, I didn't get any suspension noise unless I hit a bump, here is a pic.

if you push a stationary car and manage to make 1 of its wheels hit the chassis of the moving car it 'pings' into the air.
          very bad but funny if you've made the physmat really bouncy

there is definitely something strange going on with the wheels.
          +1 on that, if you miss the wheels and just clip the front corner of the stationary car it goes flying.

oh and I would have made a vid but my laptops is buggy right now.

Comment

thanks for having a look smokey13
            so you dont get any suspension noise, how much engine power do you use? wonder if its that because it happens mostly on acceleration for me.

the car handling is fine on a flat surface, interaction with another vehicle or hitting a bump just right just sends it into spaz mode.
            even slightly clipping a small bump, if you hit it just right the car will go flying into the air all strangely.
            also you can ping the car around with a character, very funny but quite undesirable.

thanks for the tips on blender, edge split modifier is quite handy
            PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

thanks for having a look smokey13
              needed a break from assassins creed unity

so you dont get any suspension noise, how much engine power do you use? wonder if its that because it happens mostly on acceleration for me.
              I have no idea how much engine power I used, In that screenshot I was using the default settings but I also tried other settings with both high top speed (198KPH before I fell of the map) and a high rate of acceleration but there was still no noise at all.

the car handling is fine on a flat surface, interaction with another vehicle or hitting a bump just right just sends it into spaz mode.
              you should have seen how far the car flew when I hit the stationary car with the bouncy physmat applied, it cleared the length of the map and would have kept going if I didn't exit.

thanks for the tips on blender, edge split modifier is quite handy
              yep, its not bad

Comment

would it be possible to give me a copy of your fixed blender file please?
                maybe its something to do with the wheel bone positions causing the noise, would be good to test since you dont get any noise.
                PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

would it be possible to give me a copy of your fixed blender file please?
                  yes, do you want a copy of the test project as well?

Comment

no just the blender file thanks
                    PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

here you go http://www.mediafire.com/download/l0...ro_T1_02.blend, let me know when you've downloaded it so I can remove it from my mediafire account. a couple of things, I exported from blender 2.72 using the default settings and imported with the "use TOA's ref pose" turned on.

Comment

got it thanks
                        i use the same blender and use TOA on import
                        thanks again
                        PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

heres a good one, i hope something on the debug helps find the demon.
                          PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

heres a good one, i hope something on the debug helps find the demon.
                            What does your vehicle's physics asset look like? Can you post a screen on how you have it set? I had some issues with my vehicle, but I could never get it to do that!

If you watch the debug values there is no large spike at the moment it gets thrown into the air that I can see, it all looks normal. That's really strange.
                            Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
                              What does your vehicle's physics asset look like?
                              here, nothing special, same as the epic ones.
                              im not sure how the collision is set up on that barrier, but it just happened to have the same effect that sometimes happens crashing into a stationary car.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	physasset.png
Views:	1
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	1061381

edit;
                              same thing happens with the stock c++ car template
                              Last edited by tegleg; 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM.
                              PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

wow, what's going on in that video, that's some crazy crashing. for the first time in well over a year I just loaded up UDK to see the difference in crashes and UDK is so much better, I mean just look at it

the only thing I didn't like about UDk vehicles in no actual wheel collision but other then that you could make them act however you wanted, the cars in that vid weren't set up to be a realistic sim (as you can tell) and they still act/re-act much better then a UE4 car. don't get me wrong, if people want to make a car that can drive on fairly flat surfaces or drifts its fine but I don't think UE4's vehicles is going to be up to scratch any time soon

I think I am going to give up on UE4 vehicles, well for a while at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X