Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slate Documentation, Editor, and Blueprint Access

Hello,

The UI is currently a major weakness in the engine simply because it is under-documented and difficult to understand. The source code does provide some examples on the use of Slate, but it incorporates overly complex use cases that do not apply to most projects.

What is needed for Slate is the following:

- A complete reference document. The current documentation is insufficient and provides incomplete functionality examples.

- Video tutorials demonstrating the creation of Slate projects from start to finish: both Slate Applications using Unreal Viewports and the use of Slate within a viewport. Something of the order of the Blueprint Tutorial video series would go a long way towards understanding Slate.

- Interfaces with Blueprints.

- A slightly adjusted SlateViewer that removes some of the asserts when testing some of the widgets. Also, a bare-bones SlateViewer-type app with only the main functionality: menu, buttons, treeview, image slider control, and of course a viewport.

For your consideration.

EDIT: I forgot to add that a Slate Visual Editor would also be very important
    YES! This is very important to my workflow and would be beneficial.
    90.59%
    Maybe. It might be nice, but not urgent.
    7.67%
    No. I do not feel this suggestion is necessary.
    1.74%
    Last edited by Andargor; 03-31-2014, 06:06 PM.
    It is by will alone I set my code in motion.
    It is by coding that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

Hi dmacesic,

Thanks for the feedback. I have added a poll to your post as a test to help us get a feel for how the community feels about feature requests. We may be encouraging users to create polls for future feature requests.

Thanks
    Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

+1 to Visual Editor

Comment

Another +1 for a Visual Editor!

Comment

The good news is that there already is a form of visual editor for Slate. It's one of the experimental plugins that can be enabled. However, I really have no idea how to use it or where to even go to access it.
          DO contact me with questions about Blueprint or other Unreal features! I don't bite! Or charge money! Just press that blue Skype button and fire away.

Project Culverin - Open Ended First Person Shooter

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Jones 312 View Post
            The good news is that there already is a form of visual editor for Slate. It's one of the experimental plugins that can be enabled. However, I really have no idea how to use it or where to even go to access it.
            Are you thinking of SlateViewer, which is a Slate widget test standalone app, or something else? And where would that be?
            It is by coding that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

Comment

Originally posted by dmacesic View Post
              Are you thinking of SlateViewer, which is a Slate widget test standalone app, or something else? And where would that be?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	slate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1049905
              I'm thinking of this right here.
              It's in the plugins menu under UI.
              Last edited by Ray Jones 312; 03-31-2014, 09:28 PM. Reason: Being more specific since the image isn't great
              DO contact me with questions about Blueprint or other Unreal features! I don't bite! Or charge money! Just press that blue Skype button and fire away.

Project Culverin - Open Ended First Person Shooter

Comment

+1 to the Visual Editor, not just a viewer but an editor as well

Comment

+1000 for Slate Visual Editor.
                  Support my RTS Game (Agora) on Patreon!
                  Unreal Nexus - Create Share and Experience!
                  Unreal Engine 4 World-Wide User Map

[PLUGIN] Aws Gamelift Client Plugin
                  [TOOL] Create your own binary release of UE4 from GitHub source
                  My UE4 Tutorials and Misc Tools

Lead Programmer at YetiTech Studios
                  Your Friendly Neighborhood
                  Satheesh PV (a.k.a RyanJon2040) | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+

Comment

+1 to the complete reference and tutorials. I think it's best to have some stripped-down, bare-essentials example projects that demonstrate nothing more than using slate in its various common use cases: main menus, in-game menus, HUDs, interaction between (for example) menu items and config files.

I feel things are a bit cluttered in the example projects right now, with MenuItem, MenuItemHUD, MenuWidget, MenuItemWidget, MenuItemWidgetItemHUDWidget... That makes it a bit difficult to see the big picture of slate and how its various classes fit together.
                    Last edited by and-rad; 04-01-2014, 12:09 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

In my opinion, UI is currently the biggest weakness in UE4. I consider a visual, intuitive Slate editor to be vital.
                      --

Comment

+1 for Visual Editor
                        KITATUS
                        "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Jones 312 View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]150[/ATTACH]
                          I'm thinking of this right here.
                          It's in the plugins menu under UI.
                          Interesting, I'll check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by dmacesic View Post
                            Hello,

The UI is currently a major weakness in the engine simply because it is under-documented and difficult to understand. The source code does provide some examples on the use of Slate, but it incorporates overly complex use cases that do not apply to most projects.

What is needed for Slate is the following:

- A complete reference document. The current documentation is insufficient and provides incomplete functionality examples.

- Video tutorials demonstrating the creation of Slate projects from start to finish: both Slate Applications using Unreal Viewports and the use of Slate within a viewport. Something of the order of the Blueprint Tutorial video series would go a long way towards understanding Slate.

- Interfaces with Blueprints.

- A slightly adjusted SlateViewer that removes some of the asserts when testing some of the widgets. Also, a bare-bones SlateViewer-type app with only the main functionality: menu, buttons, treeview, image slider control, and of course a viewport.

For your consideration.

EDIT: I forgot to add that a Slate Visual Editor would also be very important
                            + One billion for everything you said
                            UE4 high res character modelling, rigging for facial and full body animation - HERE
                            Dave Saxon/AKA Lex Luthor Channel
                            Seek And Destroy Games Channel
                            Our Website here.
                            Download free animations here

Comment

Yeah, +1 to both a better documentations and visual editor.

I too enabled that SlateComponentWrapper plugin for the editor, but I don't know where that is to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X