Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predefined but configurable water/ocean

Hi!
    Is there any plans of releasing an "actor" or a more advanced material for creating realistic water and oceans?
    I know this could be built by creating materials and post-processing-effects, however as a quite new user this might seem like a huge step for creating some water. Maybe there could be like a predefined actor for water.. like there is a predefined "prefab" water in Unity which is configurable?

And Im quite sure you guys are busy with all sorts of fixes and stuff. But would still be nice to know if this is something in the pipe, and if its not, then maybe you could put it in the pipe .

Br,
    Inx
    Yes
    91.67%
    No
    8.33%

I like this idea. An Ocean Actor by Epic would be nice. See this screenshot from CryEngine.
    Support my RTS Game (Agora) on Patreon!
    Unreal Nexus - Create Share and Experience!
    Unreal Engine 4 World-Wide User Map

[PLUGIN] Aws Gamelift Client Plugin
    [TOOL] Create your own binary release of UE4 from GitHub source
    My UE4 Tutorials and Misc Tools

Lead Programmer at YetiTech Studios
    Your Friendly Neighborhood
    Satheesh PV (a.k.a RyanJon2040) | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+

Comment

Jup such a thing would be great to have. Some nice FFT ocean... just configure it and then let it do it's work and worry about other things.
      A few Unity developers created such a shader too... I was thinkin of asking someone if he's interested in porting his work to UE4...

Comment

That would be a really cool addition, but I think it could be done by the community. Lets see how the marketplace system turns out, if it's open enough I'm sure lots of cool ocean shaders will pop up

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjon2040 View Post
          I like this idea. An Ocean Actor by Epic would be nice. See this screenshot from CryEngine.
          Yeah but that realism is not possible yet with UE4. Even free little engines like s2Engine have realistic day/night out the box.

Comment

We need full weather controls.

Comment

It requires forward rendering pass, so I don't think it will be added soon. We can use simplified variants today - they are definitely okay for low-ground camera.
              Making games with Unreal Engine https://ufna.dev
              My plugins official channel: https://discord.gg/N92pzqJ

Comment

Looking forward to this. << Personally, It's not that necessary to me.
                Thanks Epic!

Comment

I don't dislike having that option of course, but personally, I prefer Epic engineers to work on adding more general-purposed features so we can make our own based on them, instead of giving us ready-to-bite chunks which ultimately is more limiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Farshad12 View Post
                    I don't dislike having that option of course, but personally, I prefer Epic engineers to work on adding more general-purposed features so we can make our own based on them, instead of giving us ready-to-bite chunks which ultimately is more limiting.
                    yeah you're possibly right.
                    I think we'll need to find a shader developer who can implement a FFT-based ocean shader solution.
                    While that won't fix all difficulties it would be a solid base.

Sooner or later one would need to add a OceanActor which is built & optimized to show an ocean right up to the horizon.

But creating a somewhat realistic water shader is the first necessary step I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X