Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A STRONG case for a Infiltrator Demo Release from Epic by Christmas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fragfest2012 View Post
    I can understand the optimization issue. Thing is, I think a demo like that should be left for relatively high-end machines. I am pretty sure the demo ran on a GTX 680 (correct me if I am wrong about that), but I think if the demo is able to support like a 660 Ti or higher, then that would be good enough. This demo is a high-end demo by design, and that shouldn't change; it would defeat the entire purpose.

It would be even better if Epic did a poll and ask if users care if this demo is optimized or are users happy to get their hands on unoptimized version of it.

Comment

This would be awesome! I really hope it becomes available some day!

Comment

I can understand the optimization issue. Thing is, I think a demo like that should be left for relatively high-end machines. I am pretty sure the demo ran on a GTX 680 (correct me if I am wrong about that), but I think if the demo is able to support like a 660 Ti or higher, then that would be good enough. This demo is a high-end demo by design, and that shouldn't change; it would defeat the entire purpose.
        i concur. i rather have the original but streamlined and organized demo than a optimized one that greatly reduces the visual fidelity.
        alot of the demos released so far I would classify as low end or mid-end demo. Only the elemental demo i would consider high-end in terms of IQ and graphic demand.

Looking at the WIP section and results from weakly UE4 search on youtube. You would think UE4 was made specifically for arch visualization.

There's are large volume of ArchViz work flowing right now. but very few, almost countable by the fingers of game art viz.
        Why? Because the Realistic Render demo really paved the path for arch visualization.

One of the main reasons why there are few game environment visualization is you need to accurate place dozens (sometimes in the triple digits) of lights. You are not dealing with just one directional light. You also need good PP and color grading to get the movie/game look.
        Some visual effect technique like lens flares, volumetric light, lit smoke/mist/dust/steam to get a AAA-que game environment.

I would like to see more game art viz. and i think the infiltrator demo would be the igniter.

Last edited by Bladerskb; 09-24-2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smallB View Post
          What do you mean by "not optimized for public release"?
          To clarify that, it was made without the user in mind. There is little in the way of comments or notes for making sense of things. You could infer ideas, but you would really be doing a lot of guess work. Also orphan nodes, unused materials/textures, extra bits that got thrown in and not removed entirely bog it down a bit.

Releasing it "raw" would just lead to us spending even more time talking to users about what they are seeing and why things happen.

It's not impossible or off the table at all, it's just a time/energy/priority thing. Focusing on that project would take away resources and we are working on a critical build right now. Keep tuned in though, we really want to give the community all the resources possible. Does that all make sense? I don't want you all thinking I am saying "never" when really I am saying "yes, it will just take some time"

EDIT:

"does that mean cutting features such as the rendered city and painting it or simply reiterating on them and making them more efficient, streamlined, and organized?"
          Nope, we'd be doing it to the stuff you can't even really see. All the "stuff" you see would appear the same, but it would be easier to open it up in the editor and take it apart.
          Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 09-24-2014, 04:19 PM. Reason: more info
          Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
          How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
          Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
            Releasing it "raw" would just lead to us spending even more time talking to users about what they are seeing and why things happen.

It's not impossible or off the table at all, it's just a time/energy/priority thing. Focusing on that project would take away resources and we are working on a critical build right now.

EDIT:

Hi, thank you for your answer. Really appreciated.

My thoughts:

1. Release to the public raw with disclaimer saying that Epic will NOT answer any question regarding inner-workings of that demo due to the reason you've given:"Focusing on that project would take away resources and we are working on a critical build right now."

2. Create separate thread dedicated to Infiltrator Demo, where community would work on it and its ins and outs and answered questions to each other.

Those two points have the significance that you (Epic) would not have to spend time and resources on polishing this demo (make it ready for public).

Could somebody make a poll on how community feel about what I've just suggested?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by smallB View Post
              1. Release to the public raw with disclaimer saying that Epic will NOT answer any question regarding inner-workings of that demo due to the reason you've given:"Focusing on that project would take away resources and we are working on a critical build right now."
              That's a very, uh, optimistic perspective.

Basically, people don't read.

Comment

Originally posted by Veovis Muad'dib View Post
                That's a very, uh, optimistic perspective.

Basically, people don't read.
                Epic could simply don't look into that thread you know. Somebody from community would definitely point that to those "not readers".

Comment

Well, that all sounds much better. I would be more than happy to wait until after 4.5 for the demo, but I think once 4.5 ships, Epic should really consider just putting one or two of their guys on fixing up the demo and adding comments and such. I would think it would only take 2 people a week or two to fix it all up.
                  UE4 Beta Tester.

Comment

Epic should really consider just putting one or two of their guys on fixing up the demo and adding comments and such. I would think it would only take 2 people a week or two to fix it all up.
                    It sounds like it might need a lot more than two man weeks to make it ready for release, especially if it is many gb's of data (sounds like it could be with the huge city built of real buildings etc.)

Thing is, Apart from the shield effect, it's hard to see what is in the video that we can't figure out on our own? It's a really high quality piece, with superb lighting and modelling, but any of us can achieve that quality with enough time There have been several videos released that breakdown the effects and techniques used in that demo so we do know a lot of it already.

If the demo was released as user content would we not just get a flood of game demos using that content? Probably not a very desirable outcome from epics point of view.

Comment

but any of us can achieve that quality with enough time There have been several videos released that breakdown the effects and techniques used in that demo so we do know a lot of it already.
                      Yep AJUK is right.

Comment

I've been holding my breath for this since release of UE4! I'd also be happy to help out with a community optimization project. You could do a private release to members willing to help out and get it in a coherent state. Samaritan too. I'd also be happy to buy it and I'm sure many members would either sign up for a UE4 subscription or renew elapsed ones just for the privilege of this project.
                        Lead Artist @ Cinesite

Comment

It would be awesome to have access to it, even if if where just a .zip file that can be downloaded with a disclaimer
                          Sr. Engine Programmer @ www.playspace.com - moritzwundke.com
                          Remember: be polite and respect other peoples opinions - Join the Unofficial Unreal Discord Channel - Found a bug? Then use the Bug Report Form to get it fixed ^^

Comment

It's crasy if this demo is 100% realtime without any compisiting , i would be happy of learning of this demo.
                            Please Epic release it very fast.

Comment

yes its 2015. hopefully the ball have started rolling and we will see something by end of march.
                              any longer and ppl will lose interest.

Comment

I dont think my interest will descend, i hope they will make it available in the coming months, camaaan epic.

Comment

Working...
                                X