Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to solve latency and ram usage issue

Hello,

I'm new to Unreal Engine 4, following some youtube tutorials. At some point when making blueprints, the engine starts to run very slowly and my ram usage explodes. Attached is a screen capture for example.

Is it a hardware issue ? Here is my config, i'm supposed to meet minimum requirements :

Windows 10 (x64)
    Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz
    16Go RAM DDR4 1.2GHz
    AMD Radeon RX 480 (Software version Radeon 20.1.3)‎
    Kingston SSD M2 240G

My Unreal Engine version is 4.24.3
    I'm using dual screen, one for unreal engine and one for youtube video.

I don't know what is going wrong with that. Is there some configuration that i'm missing or some update that i need to do. Thanks in advance.

From that screenshot it's not using that much of your RAM

Comment

Here is a screenshot when i just launched Unreal Engine, without doing anything yet. It's getting well above after some time, especially for the System. It might not be related, but usually i'm not having this kind of issue elsewhere.

Comment

It says there it's only using 900MB of memory, that's not that much.

Comment

I agree, it's not that much. On the beginning everything is working fine and as expected.
          My point is after some time spent on blueprints it just goes higher and higher until the engine starts running slow and being unresponsive. That's my issue. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Comment

You haven't shown that the memory is going too high, in the first image it was at 1.2GB which isn't that much of your 16GB total.

Comment

Since my memory usage is using 51% at beginning (second screenshot), and then goes up to 96% (first screenshot), without doing anything else than Unreal Engine but watching a youtube video, i thought it was enough proof...
              If not then i should try record a video of the latency maybe ?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Edit : I tried a different approach, rebooting, closing everything else than needed and using a different web explorer that could use less memory, and also i'm showing more transparency in my screenshots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-ue-at-launch-31.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	1737680
              1 - 07:15 - launching UE - 31% Memory Usage - 1320Mo UE4 - System not even showing / Everything is fine

Name:	2-ue-after-some-time-63.jpg
Size:	541.6 KB
ID:	1737683
              2 - 07:27 - after 12 minutes - 63% Memory Usage - 763Mo UE4 - 1109Mo System / Though UE4 is using less RAM than before, the System starts showing some little latency, but still fine

Name:	3-ue-after-more-time-87.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	550.6 KB
ID:	1737682
              3 - 07:40 - after 25 minutes - 87% Memory Usage - 2149Mo UE4 - 1952Mo System / It goes even higher, and I got more latency. But I guess as long as I'm not above 90% Memory usage i manage to still be using UE4 somehow

Name:	4-ue-finally-memory-96.jpg
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	1737681
              4 - 08:24 - after one hour - 96% Memory Usage - 318Mo UE4 - 4109Mo System / I just closed the blueprint editor since I managed to do what I wanted through the latency. Here UE4 is using even less RAM than before, but still the latency is clearly there and the System is using a lot of RAM.

Name:	5-ue-closed-back-to-normal-21.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	1737679
              5 - 08:29 - job is done five minutes later after #4 - 21% Memory Usage - UE4 is closed - 351Mo Systen / Everything is back to normal.

So clearly even at peaks, i'm not supposed to use more than 5Go RAM between System and UE4, but still I got some latency and my % of Memory Usage is way above what it's supposed to be... I could use some advice.

Thank you for your time and replies.
              Last edited by Libelung; 03-27-2020, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Here is a new screen capture I made... It is the RAM drop rate when i'm closing UE4 (Spoiler : It starts from 90% - 14688Mo use to 23% - 3840Mo). So i'm guessing it's more than what I was showing previously. Any advice on how to use less RAM ? (11Go used currently)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13r...vWUH83LdSPkr-x

Comment

Libelung TBH, there's no magical solution for you. UE4 editor simply accumulates all things you use in RAM until you close the editor. Sometimes memory is freed up but that's not the rule

What you can do, you can inspect dependencies between your assets, especially hard references in your blueprints. By default, any reference in the blueprint is a hard reference, which means opening a blueprint will load everything linked to it. Many small/inexperienced teams tend to create what I call "gigabyte blueprints" - scripts that reference everything in everything (i.e. player blueprint having reference to half of the gameplay blueprints and this blueprint referencing tons of assets - resulting in loading half of the game while opening player blueprint).
                  It's happening often since even Cast to blueprint class A load entire blueprint A - and its dependencies, of course.

These things can often cause using too much memory.

A bit more about it here
                  https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...CPP/index.html

And simply google "soft references" if you don't know about it.

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate your answer and actually pointing out to some advices ! I would see what I can do about that.

Edit : Well, I removed the "StarterContent" that I firstly installed when creating my project, since I don't use that in the end. Somehow it's helping to lower my RAM usage. It's still not the perfect condition but i'm usually not getting above 90% anymore so far.
                    Last edited by Libelung; 03-29-2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X