Upcoming "Send to Unreal" add-on for Blender Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MostHost LA View Post
    I'm just adding to the chorus of 1000 voices telling you folks at Unreal that you need to drop the FBX idea and make your own importer/exporter to actually allow for everything.

traditionally LODs are handled by associating the mesh to the LOD via an empty.
    the way the plugin works now is opposite to that.

With 1 empty that contains them all the problem is solved.

If anything, the way the empty works should be extended to also handle the collision meshes.
    This could not be more accurate! We need something better than the FBX export Blender has to offer above everything else.

And LODs are currently pretty easy with the export as it is right now for both static and skeletal meshes... assign an empty, do some naming, add a custom property and they go right in!

Collision can also currently be sent through in a similar way for static meshes but i have no idea about skeletal ones...

Comment

I don't know if this was mentioned towards the end of the stream as I skipped that part but are there plans on having a toolbar or something like that inside blender. From what I see right now to change settings, skeletal mesh to use for the animation exporting and the directories you have to go to the add-on setting every time which seems inconvenient and a toolbar like for example the one Mr Mannequin Tools has (https://i.imgur.com/qkkDPnw.png) would make the workflow when working with multiple models or just switching between them a lot faster

Comment

Great job with the addon, thank you for working on it!

The new 4.24 hair system is advertised to work with alembic grooms from e.g. Maya, but there's nothing about Blender.
        Now I know that the add-on is .FBX based, but having a way to easily import Blender hair into the new UE hair system would be an awesome addition.

Comment

I'm now interested in learning and mastering Blender lol
          | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Kroovy View Post
            Collision can also currently be sent through in a similar way for static meshes but i have no idea about skeletal ones...
            Skeletal ones generate the PHAT in engine - usually dependent on the bones. I'm not sure IF you can actually add custom collisions to it - I really never tried it.
            Originally posted by Slavq View Post
            The new 4.24 hair system is advertised to work with alembic grooms from e.g. Maya, but there's nothing about Blender.
            The main problem here is that we have no real content example to see what is what.
            IF we did, I'd have probably added an exporter for it to my plugin already. Since I have never seen the kind of file they use I'm at a total loss when reading the information the docs released. (read as: I can't even get it to work with Maya or Z brush, both of which the epic team uses as shown in various talks for the DigitalHuman stuff ).
            So while it is related, particularly to what I was saying about moving away from FBX entirely - I don't really see the plugin as being the solution to it.

Comment

At my shop do a lot of work with blender and UE 4.2x, but the part that is consistently the biggest trouble for us is rigging. Blender rigging isn't quite as simple as Maya, and setting up the rigging in Blender for UE4 produces all manner of headaches.

Comment

Preserving Vertex Group information, which might not even be necessary immediately but I imagine will come in very handy when the mesh editing tools are more widely used. It's just too beneficial to workflow with meshes in general to not include them, even if UE4 has to catch up a little Forethought and all that. Also, thanks for the plugin.
                http://unrealdeveloper.uk

Comment

I'm very excited for this and it will make my life soooooo much easier. Thank you very much. My one huge request is a method to import blender hair as as a groom object. I've used blender hair for ages and would love to use it with the new groom system.

Comment

Game Import Paths

Do you have to change this for every object/file that you want in a certain folder? Will there be per object overrides?

Would it be possible to utilize Blender's Custom Properties that are available.

Maybe have sub collections with UE4 path in mesh collection

Last edited by RyanJEC; 02-13-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Is there a rough ETA or a beta download to try this out? Super excited about this!

Comment

Hey,
                        Great to hear this is happening!

What would be super useful, would be a way to setup pivots for exported objects.

For instance, you could set pivots to center on each individual exported object.
                        Or you could set the pivot to the origin of the blender scene.

Usually artists are working in a blender scene with lots of props or building pieces, and want to have those pieces exported as separate meshes with the pivots intact.

Some kind of list of collections in the blender scene, along with a setting for how the pivots are handled would be extremely useful.

Cheers,
                        Joe
                        Brushify is a complete landscape solution and shader infrastructure for Unreal Engine 4.
                        Get Brushify on Unreal Marketplace: www.brushify.io

Comment

Work so far on the plugin looks pretty exciting! I have a few requests/notes as well:

- If the plugin utilized custom Blender types/attributes, then users would be able to "mark" objects for export/sync to Unreal. I think this would be a much better option than having to put objects in predetermined Collections. This is pretty easy to implement in Python (just add custom Object properties by extending bpy.types.Object.ue4 or whatever), and then the plugin can search through all of the objects which are "marked" for sync and handle them. The same idea could be done for custom names/locations on a per Object basis by sticking a custom UI panel under the Object Properties tab.
                          - Similar to above, it might be handy to expose things like FBX export parameters and default export path in the Scene Properties window (which would be stored by adding custom attributes to bpy.types.Scene.ue4 or whatever). That way any parameters would be saved on a per-file/project basis and not globally in the Preferences panel.
                          - I agree with others that having to set Blender's Unit Scale to 0.01 is not ideal. I'm not sure how well the FBX exporter's "scale transform" parameter works, but this might be an option. Otherwise I could see this being a pain to implement.

Looking forward to seeing the addon released!

Comment

Originally posted by brushify.io View Post
                            Hey,
                            Great to hear this is happening!

What would be super useful, would be a way to setup pivots for exported objects.

For instance, you could set pivots to center on each individual exported object.
                            Or you could set the pivot to the origin of the blender scene.

Usually artists are working in a blender scene with lots of props or building pieces, and want to have those pieces exported as separate meshes with the pivots intact.

Some kind of list of collections in the blender scene, along with a setting for how the pivots are handled would be extremely useful.

Cheers,
                            Joe
                            If you're not going to export a skeletal animated figure, it sounds as if you're better off using the Datasmith Blender plug-in...

https://github.com/0xafbf/blender-datasmith-export/

It converts any empty to a datasmith pivot point object.

Comment

hello everyone!,

sorry for that noobie question: Where can I download that addon for blender.

Thank you very much!
                              Florian

Comment

I'd like to test too, is there link available?

Comment

Working...
                                X