• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust for UE ?

I start learn rust lang.
    Seems very good for games.
    How about add rust support to UE?
    I think it be big step to UE game stability.

No any try?

Comment

You could start a poll, but my vote is: no thanks. .... Who needs another language that looks like C++ and is just as complex. UE4 is a big part of architects offices, design shops and film / tv studios, along with many other businesses. Does it make sense for them to learn Rust or C++??? If Epic add a scripting language, it should be simple / easy like LUA / Office VBA... My vote goes for something new anyway, but geared more towards game dev specifically, like AGOG SkookumScript was ...
      Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 12-24-2019, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Don't want to re-learn another language. I tried it a bit and seems pretty different. Not bad but i feel like C++ is more suited for game development anyway. Plus there are other more important things like improving the C++ workflow and improving Live++ and so on.

Comment

Maybe Unreal Basic will make the engine complete, one day. The right way to make super basic games.
          Attached Files
          * Sharp and responsive Temporal Anti-Aliasing tips and tricks
          * Pitch-shift source effect (DSP) over the network (VOIP)
          * My Portfolio and Developer Blog

Comment

Originally posted by 108saimon View Post
            I think it be big step to UE game stability.
            Stability doesnt come from a language.

Comment

Then instead of 50,000 lines of C++ to make a small game we would only need 4 million lines of basic!
              | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by Raildex_ View Post
                Stability doesnt come from a language.
                Maybe not, but simplicity / predictability often does though...

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
                  need 4 million lines of basic!
                  Nope. That claim will not hold.

Comment

lol I see you don't know Futurama.
                    that is just a reference to an episode of Futurama
                    | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

I understand! Still doesn't make it true.

Comment

I took a look.

It's the same as binding any DLL, in Rust you wrap everything into a extern 'C' {...} and then compile your Rust application as *.so or *.a library.
                        Then you load the library into Unreal and call functions from it. Boring stuff, making extern C functions is the most boring thing to do even if you use automatic header generation tools.

Every time you need something more you have to add more extern functions :/

Comment

No need to poll, no need to ask. If you think it is good, why dont you make it yourself, and then present it here?

Comment

Rust is actually interesting as a binding because no need for memory management AND no garbage collector needed either.

But yeah, if you want to use it you have to write extern C api yourself and do BP --> C++ --> C --> Rust...
                            Then Rust --> C --> C++ --> BP.

That is very annoying code to deal with once you go above the HelloWorld level.
                            Btw I know that some AAA studio migrated to Rust doing that, just don't remember which one. Maybe was "Ready at Dawn", not sure.
                            Last edited by BrUnO XaVIeR; 12-29-2019, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I went over a small test just to see if Unreal would allow this or if it would complain...
                              Turns out it's possible to make it work indeed:

Rust application compiled as --lib:

extern "C" interface:

called Rust functions from within Unreal project's module:

works fine:

Now all you need is an ARMY of programmers to port Unreal's code to Rust language
                              Good luck lol

Comment

Working...
                              X