Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LEARNING RESOURCES] Online Learning Portal Feedback

Hi guys,

I wanted to give feedback on the online learning portal. I do not evaluate the content itself, but a lot of things are of great value and nicely presented (I only had a sneak peek)

What I liked was for example how the tests in "Getting to Know Materials for Design Visualization" are designed. I would suggest that every course needs to have at least one test to finish it, instead of only scrubbing through video and getting aknowledged.

If there are badges, I think it would be great to see what you can achieve?

Are there "points" implemented yet? After completing 2 courses, I do not have any points?

Other things hat would need improvement for my perspective, so let's go:

1) From the start page, going to Learn -> Online Learning, the page says to level up my skils etc. and there is a large blue button saying "login to get started". This is quite strange to me because I am already logged into my account. This is just a nuisance but it is confusing. Maybe for users already logged in, there should be a "Let's get started" text instead. See attached image.

2) I found a few glitches with the resources for the "Build a Configurator Using the New Variant Manager" course.
    The first of 3 parts are slides, named "Build a Configurator Using the New Variant Manager Presentation Slides".
    As you can see, due to the fact that the menu is always open, the back button is always hidden. The user needs to close the menu or does not know how to get back to the previous slide. Same for me in both Chrome and Firefox current stable versions.

2.1) There is the possibility to zoom for the slides. Unfortunately, after using that functionality once, you can never return to the zoom level the slides started with. It is either way too small or too large to fit the browser "frame". The user has to reload the page to get that "perfect"/adjusted zoom level for his display.

2.2) The zoom buttons only work after clicking them twice. (Also in firefox and chrome)

3) The menu state is not remembered. Whenever you switch to the next module, the menu re-appears. Only a nuisance but I think there should only be a display about the progress, like "2/4" instead of the menu opening for every reload or module switch again. As there is no other functionality in the menu except for a list of modules, i think it should only be displayed when the user switches to new courses or starts a new course. The "collapse menu" from the learning resources portal is remember on page reload, too. So I think this should behave the same.

Looking forward to an open discussion and I hope I could give some insight into what my experiences were and what I would have liked to see or expected instead.

Thanks
    Guido Lein
    Technical Artist - LeFx www.lefx.de

4) Where can a user subscribe/unsubscribe von learning course invitations? I am not sure I ever wanted to get invitation emails and the mails themselves do not contain a unsubscribe link.
    Guido Lein

Comment

Originally posted by LeFxGuy View Post
      Hi guys,

I would suggest that every course needs to have at least one test to finish it, instead of only scrubbing through video and getting aknowledged.

CMM; We strive to supply a variety of type of learning material. Some requires little effort, some requires more effort. For this reason we've chosen to not offer quizzes and full badges on every course. you may notice that you only get a formal badge for a course that has a quiz. And a simple token for courses that don't.

If there are badges, I think it would be great to see what you can achieve?

CMM: We are working to do this. We are working a fully exposed course list that you can see outside of the learning portal with out logging in.

Are there "points" implemented yet? After completing 2 courses, I do not have any points?

CMM; I depends on the courses. Can you let me know which ones you watched and I can check make sure all is working properly.

Other things hat would need improvement for my perspective, so let's go:

1) From the start page, going to Learn -> Online Learning, the page says to level up my skils etc. and there is a large blue button saying "login to get started". This is quite strange to me because I am already logged into my account. This is just a nuisance but it is confusing. Maybe for users already logged in, there should be a "Let's get started" text instead. See attached image.

CMM; Yes this by design. Since Unreal Engine. com, as it is, not a learning portal. We have implemented a portal platform that requires an additional login. This does 2 main things. 1.) it creates a "learning account" that is tied to your EpicID. This allows the learning portal to track and remember your progress thorough each course. Something UE.com is not designed to do. 2.) its the container for all the learning material. This includes the video modules, titles, descriptions, and language variants that are required for each course. This is also something UE.com is not designed or intended to do. So for these reasons, we ask learners to login and create a learning account to facilitate all their Online Learning experiences.

2) I found a few glitches with the resources for the "Build a Configurator Using the New Variant Manager" course.
      The first of 3 parts are slides, named "Build a Configurator Using the New Variant Manager Presentation Slides".
      As you can see, due to the fact that the menu is always open, the back button is always hidden. The user needs to close the menu or does not know how to get back to the previous slide. Same for me in both Chrome and Firefox current stable versions.

CMM; Thanks for this. I will submit this as a bug to our UOL support email for review. Anyone can submit a bug about the Online Learning portal here: UOLSupport@epicgames.com

2.1) There is the possibility to zoom for the slides. Unfortunately, after using that functionality once, you can never return to the zoom level the slides started with. It is either way too small or too large to fit the browser "frame". The user has to reload the page to get that "perfect"/adjusted zoom level for his display.

CMM; I was able to return the slide to its original ZOOM state by pressing this button. (https://www.screencast.com/t/R2RUnSrxkM) Did that not work for you?

2.2) The zoom buttons only work after clicking them twice. (Also in firefox and chrome)

CMM; We'll investigate.

3) The menu state is not remembered. Whenever you switch to the next module, the menu re-appears. Only a nuisance but I think there should only be a display about the progress, like "2/4" instead of the menu opening for every reload or module switch again. As there is no other functionality in the menu except for a list of modules, i think it should only be displayed when the user switches to new courses or starts a new course. The "collapse menu" from the learning resources portal is remember on page reload, too. So I think this should behave the same.

CMM; Also by design. We actually force the menu to reappear with every module to improve course navigation. We arrived at this conclusion after a great deal of feedback that it was more beneficial to have it present than to not have it present at all times.

Looking forward to an open discussion and I hope I could give some insight into what my experiences were and what I would have liked to see or expected instead.

Thanks
      Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I've responded to your comment above preceded by my initials "CMM;"

Chris
      Chris Murray
      Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
      Twitter: @chrismmurray
      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

Comment

chrismmurray_EG

Hi Chris, thanks for you answers. As I said, I only tried a few courses and took a sneak peek. So I was not aware of the Tokens vs Badges design. By Tokens, you mean what is declared "Points" under Achievements?

I did "Advanced Shaders Development " https://learn.unrealengine.com/cours...93037817437149 and "Build a Configurator Using the New Variant Manager" although the Shaders-course seems to be gone or at least, the link is not working and I cannot find it anymore. Under achievements, I do not have any points nor badges.

1) I see. Thanks for the explanation. It was just nitpicking about the button label that could confuse users, but it is not a big deal and should work out as it is.

2) Great Glad I could help a bit. I guess this is the exception because there are only a few courses with slides.

2.1) You are right, I missed the Reset-Zoom button, since the icon looks like a "zoom out" button in other applications Like magnifier with a Plus or Minus icon inside. This works.

2.2) Yes, please check this. For example when I reset the zoom, and click "+" for a slide under "Build a configurator" slides, then it zooms out the first time because the resetted zoom is in between two zoom levels. Also just clicking once between "+" and "minus", I can do this forever and nothing happens and I have to click a button twice when I change zoom "direction".

3) I see. I, too, think that it is a good idea to keep the navigation but maybe it could be designed a bit smaller and more non-obtrusive. I think during modules, there should a slim version with minimal information and only changing courses retriggers the bigger navigation the first time a user opens a course. But this is just an idea

4) Can you please answer my question 4? Is there any functionality for subscribe/unsubscribe?
        Guido Lein

Comment

chrismmurray_EG

4) Can you please answer my question 4? Is there any functionality for subscribe/unsubscribe?

Yes sorry, missed this. Can you fwd me that email? Please send to onlinelearning @ epicgames.com. I'll investigate that as well.
          Chris Murray

Comment

Done.i hope this helps and looking forward to your feedback.
            Guido Lein

Comment

chrismmurray_EG Any feedback to post #4?
              Guido Lein

Comment

chrismmurray_EG Any feedback to post #4?
                Thanks for reminding me... you shouldn't be getting those at all...

We are looking into it. Chris
                Chris Murray

Comment

No I meant the other questions and remarks from Post #4. Did not want to remind you
                  Guido Lein

Comment

Working...
                  X