Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

over 72 hours now and still can not package game builds.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

over 72 hours now and still can not package game builds.

So... Here's question for everyone. Really making me scratch my head or rather smash it off a wall repeatedly...

Suddenly out of the blue unreal stopped packaging projects. Like it worked 1 min then after playing the test build I went to make some changes in the blueprints. Nothing major just hiding a texture on pause.

Went back to build again again and it no longer will package config files.

Assumed it was my changes rolled them back. Still won't package config files.

Needless to say I tried everything I could think of and followed every piece of advice I could find to fix it in unreal. Nodda.

So I think back and remember windows updates happened that morning. Go and see what's up. Files all appear to be in read only state. Guess maybe the engine can't pull them in read only. They won't come out of read only... Ok weird.follow tons of guides provided by Microsoft advisors team. At the end suggested I reinstall.

Created a windows image using their software.

Wiped Windows 10 main drive. Left additional drives full of backup data. Fresh install Visual studio and all other unreal stuff.

Learn that VS 16.3 which you were forced to get on install now completely breaks compiling the engine, and you need to use 14.22.27905 or it will never compile. That one was a solid 6 hours to figure out ffs.

Error still happens.....

OK wtf thinking in the most outrageous terms.. Maybe additional drives were somehow messing with the new install.

Remove all backup drives. Fresh install again... Install and build everything again.

Problem still there.

Happens with any version of unreal in any project old or new template or new blank project. Used official launcher version as well as repo versions which I normally work with.

And ideas...

Step by step of what I have tried so far. Sorry for the length I have been working to fix this for 3 days now without luck.

I was working on my project using a source built version of Unreal Engine 4.23 from the Oculus repo.

I successfully built a version of my game using frontend. Went to play test it. After playing it 5 -10 mins I closed the built game. I then deleted the folder from the built game I no longer needed.

I went back into the editor and added 6 nodes. They called to the left and right hand blueprints and hid their mesh during our Oculus Dash checks.

Saved everything and closed editor. Opened Frontend and clicked the same profile I had used 5-10 mins prior.

This time the game completed the build and showed success. I closed frontend and opened the game.
    It crashed instantly. {we require Oculus Entitlement checks to crash quit the game on fail]
    I went to check that my Oculus code was still in my config file. It was.
    I rebuilt the project again via frontend using the same profile as before.

This time I noticed starting at line 272 of my logs [https://pastebin.com/Z86C4yx0] that out of the blue config files we now being excluded from packaging.

After wondering why this was happening out of the blue I removed the nodes I had just added. Saved and tried to build again via frontend.
    Config files were still being excluded.

Deleted the entire project folder and restored from backup.
    Tried to build via front end. Config files excluded.
    Deleted project.

Downloaded Unreal official launcher version of Unreal 4.23 and targeted new backup to the official build.
    Attempt to build via front end.
    Package excludes config files.

Realized that I had received a windows update that morning.

chkdsk
    SFC / Scannow

C:\WINDOWS\system32>SFC /Scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Restarted

After restart

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.388]
    (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>SFC /Scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Ran that command 10 times restarting my machine between each run. I also ran them from an admin CMD

Next I ran

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18362.388

No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The component store is repairable.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Restarted

Opened and tried to package via both Oculus repo version and launcher version.
    Still not packaging config files. I continued on

Right-click C Drive, and choose Properties.
    Go to Security tab.
    Click Advanced, then Change Permissions.
    Highlight the user, and click Edit.
    Choose Full Control under Basic Permissions.
    Hit OK.

I have checked advanced security and adjusted users as well. I have all set to full control.

I am admin and only user account.

Still broken moving on to next thing I can think of.

Open Windows Defender Security Center

Go to Virus & threat protection - Virus & threat protection settings
    Select 'Ransomware Protection'
    Scroll down to Controlled folder access
    Verify that option off

It was already off

Opened frontend in Oculus repo and launcer versions and attempted to build.
    Config files excluded. Still broken I moved on

Go to “File Explorer” (documents). . Click view. “change folder and search options”
    go to the “hidden files and folders” folder and check “show hidden files, folders and drives.”
    “hide protected operating system files (recommended)” – uncheck this.
    Click the “OK” button
    Open “users” folder. In the users folder, find the folder that has my username and right click Scroll down the menu that appears and click “properties.”
    security” tab. In the security tab, click on the “advanced” button.

Verified “owner: SYSTEM” had full control. It did

I am the admin and only account on this machine. Which I also double checked at this point

click the “advanced” button. click the “find new” button. Pull up a list of users in your system.
    Click on my username and click the “OK” button at the bottom of the window.
    It reads “owner: my username.”
    Checked “replace owner on subcontainers and objects.” Then clicked the “OK”
    click the “OK” button on the initial properties window opened earlier.

Went back to my username folder in the “this PC” side tab.
    Right click my username folder, and go to properties. > Security tab > advanced
    Made sure that my username has full control. It does.

Permissions all double checked.
    Attempted to rebuilt project via Oculus and launcher versions.
    Config files not packaging.

Assume its problem with windows. Wipe entire OS. Fresh install.
    Install MSVS 2019 full deployment. Get fresh launcher version and Oculus repo versions of the engine.

Attempt to build Oculus repo engine.
    Learn that VS 16.3 which you were forced to get on install now completely breaks compiling the engine, and you need to use 14.22.27905 or it will never compile. That one was a solid 6 hours to figure out ffs.

Take your newly built engine on your fresh install and open a template project.
    Try to build using frontend without making changes.
    Config files Excluded in packaging.

Throw your hand up in the air and begin asking everyone who knows anything about computers for advice.
    Come up with 0 answers.
    Assume this must be a bug and ask for help form Unreal before you go insane and throw your computer out the window.
    Last edited by MatHatterr; 10-06-2019, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Not the same problem, but I run into another issue with the update to VS 16.3. In my project I use a custom CharacterMovementComponent (just copy-paste with additional changes), and everything was working well from VS 15 until VS 16. But starting with VS 16.3 my class stopped working properly, so it compiles w/ no errors, but now my character is not moving and sometimes teleporting all over the map.
      I don't understand, what has changed in the compiler in VS 16.3 that has so critically affected the code?..
      Last edited by blink7; 10-09-2019, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Which config files are being excluded?

Comment

Working...
        X