Please explain editor and launcher TCP/UDP networking to set up firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please explain editor and launcher TCP/UDP networking to set up firewall

Hello, I'm a newcomer to UE, I just made all the development setup, but stuck on defining firewall rules for launcher and the editor, I need to know how and why this works to define the rules.

1. Both the editor and launcher are sending out multicast UDP 6666 to 230.0.0.1 for what is this communication used?
    2. Editor is sending out TCP to port 443 what is that used for?
    3. Both the editor and launcher are sending UDP to outside world (wide area of ports), what is that used for?
    4. Launcher outbound TCP 5222 also what is this used for?

I only understand that Launcher TCP 80, 443 are used to get launcher content, but what are other connections used for?

They are probably there to send back information on what you're using/doing. It's pretty common for companies to harvest telemetry data when they can. I'd assume Epic uses it to figure what features are or are not being used in the editor so that they can see things like how popular some experimental feature is and whether or not they should go forward dumping more resources into developing it.

Comment

Yes thanks, I see the editor is sending data back about usage and chrashes, and these can be disabled in editor settings (I didn't disable them of course, I have nothing against sending usage data back), but so many outbound connections and so wide area of ports is surely not used just for engine feedback and chrash reports.

For example multicast UDP 6666 has some local network functionality etc.
      Unreal Documentation mentions only some of these ports but does not say what are they used for.

Having detailed explanation could help because otherwise I just need to block all the network except to download content, which is not the solution I think.

Comment

The multicast is used for connecting to other UE4 instances in LAN via the session frontend. The launcher itself is made using UE4, so that might explain it.

Comment

Thanks for feedback, since epic team doesn't give the details of networking it looks like the only way to figure out all the details is to look at source files.
          but it's easiest to just block networking for the engine with firewall which I did.

Comment

Originally posted by metablaster View Post
            Yes thanks, I see the editor is sending data back about usage and chrashes, and these can be disabled in editor settings (I didn't disable them of course, I have nothing against sending usage data back), but so many outbound connections and so wide area of ports is surely not used just for engine feedback and chrash reports.
            As far as I know, disabling that won't stop it from sending what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
            X