No announcement yet.

HDMI Video Capture Card support for Virtual Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As near as I have been able to tell, on windows if a capture device can make a camera appear as a webcam (ie: if it shows up in the windows "camera" app or something similar) then it will work with unreal, MOST USB capture devices seem to do this, but not all. A lot of cards use special software to interface them with programs like Premier, vmix, wirecast or other video apps. These usually do NOT seem to work. I have an Avermedia USB device and a 4k card, neither works with unreal. These are designed for capturing uncompressed game video and seem to only work with Avermedia's software and a few apps with special support. The card will sometimes show up on the media player menu but does not work when selected.

It would be REALLY NICE if these worked with unreal. Since they use uncompressed video the latency is probably as low as a BlackMagic or AJA "pro" card. But somebody is probably going to have to write a plugin for unreal to make it work

Comment

Originally posted by Zyperworld View Post
      From my test and experience we tried :

MAGEWELL USB3 HDMI Capture - Working fine
      MAGEWELL PCI Double HDMI Capture - Not working

ELGATO HD60S USB3 - Working fine
      ELGATO PCI 4k60 Pro - Not working

I looks like USB capture card work easy when PCI Cards from the same manufacter shows up but doesn't input anything into unreal.

If someone has a workaround for PCI capture cards.
      Could you please tell me how to make Elgato HD60 S working? In "New Media Player" I can see "Game Capture" in Videos, but it's black screen. My PC camera is ok here, and in Game Capture itself everything is ok too. Maybe another soft from elgato?

Please help

Comment

Originally posted by endrju555 View Post

Could you please tell me how to make Elgato HD60 S working? In "New Media Player" I can see "Game Capture" in Videos, but it's black screen. My PC camera is ok here, and in Game Capture itself everything is ok too. Maybe another soft from elgato?

Please help
        Tell me you figured it out, I have the exact same problem and I'm banging my head against the wall.

Comment

I figured out the Elgato Game Capture HD60 S issue of just getting a blank screen in the media player. I rolled back to Unreal 4.22.3 and it just worked.

Comment

Tested the Blackmagic ATEM Mini (~$300 with 4 switchable HDMI inputs) on a PC with UE4.25 and it worked fine through MediaPlayer: https://youtu.be/NIZ5ST1XxZM

Comment

Has anyone tried using canon within unreal engine. I'm particularly interested in the m50 and using usb with canons webcam utility sdk.

Its seems like it has no problem working within things like ndi but I have already had trouble where a webcam was not appearing in ue4 over usb. but I was able to get a Microsoft kinect v2 to work withing unreal engine that was usb as well. Not sure whats causing these inconsistencies.

Any knowledge would be much appreciated.

Comment

I've found that generally if a device makes your camera appear as a webcam, ie: it works with windows "camera" app or a video chat app, it seems to work with unreal I assume this is because it has windows media/direct show compatible drivers. I think this explains why a lot of USB devices work ok.

I think the reason a lot of other devices don't work is because they don't have these drivers and need custom support in unreal or any other app to use them. I have a couple of avermedia capture devices (one USB and one PCI) that don't seem to be recognized by any software except what comes with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Njushchyshyn View Post
                  Tested the Blackmagic ATEM Mini (~$300 with 4 switchable HDMI inputs) on a PC with UE4.25 and it worked fine through MediaPlayer: https://youtu.be/NIZ5ST1XxZM

hello everyone, can you split the source in Atem Mini, so when you open the media player in Unreal the video source is read according to the hdmi input on the Atem Mini. because atem Mini has 4 inputs but only reads 1 input in Unreal Media Player

Comment

Working...
                  X