Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Animation Tutorials in the New Learning Resource Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[COMMUNITY] Animation Tutorials in the New Learning Resource Please!

Hi All,
    I've been trying to learn character animation in Unreal for years, off and on, with little success.
    When the learning resource came out I was surprised to see none of the animation tutorials (ART tools etc, skeletons etc) were there.
    I just received an email about a 'new and improved' learning resource, but typing 'animation' in brings me no videos.

Is this on purpose, or are the animation videos not featured there because they're for older versions of the engine?
    I (and I'm sure a lot of others) would really appreciate some refreshed videos on character animation / rigging / ART tools with Maya etc.

Super excited about the work you guys are putting in. Thanks for that.

I've pinged the team to ask about future animation tutorial plans for the LMS, but we have livestream tutorials on the topic that should help you get started!

Comment

Originally posted by GoLionMk2 View Post
      Hi All,
      I've been trying to learn character animation in Unreal for years, off and on, with little success.
      When the learning resource came out I was surprised to see none of the animation tutorials (ART tools etc, skeletons etc) were there.
      I just received an email about a 'new and improved' learning resource, but typing 'animation' in brings me no videos.

Is this on purpose, or are the animation videos not featured there because they're for older versions of the engine?
      I (and I'm sure a lot of others) would really appreciate some refreshed videos on character animation / rigging / ART tools with Maya etc.

Super excited about the work you guys are putting in. Thanks for that.
      Hey GoLion! Thanks for this!! We do have some animation course in the pipe, can you give me some context as to the application? Games? Film? Is there a specific aspect of animation you're looking for within character animation?

Thanks!

Chris
      Chris Murray
      Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
      Twitter: @chrismmurray
      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

Comment

Thanks for the link Amanda — I really appreciate that! I think it would be super handy to link to already created older video assets (the earlier animation videos and the live streams etc) from the learning resource.

I have found other videos before and added to a YouTube playlist, but it can be distracting over there. If the learning resource was my go to for links, I’d happily click through to any other hosting site, as long as I could find them through your learning home base.

Chris - definetly in the context of an amature game dev. I have really struggled to get any kind of alternate 3D character swapped out in the third person template. Even getting a Paragon asset in there was pretty difficult for me, following a YouTube tutorial. Maybe this stuff should be easy, but I really want to learn it and it’s my Achilles heel.

Resource links old or new regarding:

- swapping out third person Paragon characters

- swapping out market place characters

- rigging original characters in ART tools (or other options)

- importing original characters

- anything animation / rigging related

Would be super helpful!

When I went to the learning resource, I expected to at least be able to find the earlier animation related YouTube tutorials, but no dice! I feel like that would be a great start and key for people trying to learn game dev

You guys guys have the goods and I want to learn so bad. Anything you can do to help would be great.

If you want further feedback or input on my user experience / learning attempts feel free to reach out here or through pm/email and I’d be happy to help in any way I can.

GL

Comment

ps Amanda the video with you and Wes Bunn is gold!

I remember seeing that a while ago but I guess I lost it.

That's the kind of thing that needs to be linked to on the learning resource

Comment

Just to add to the OP request, working with Root Motion Anims esp wrt Movement / Replication....

Comment

Noted! Thanks for the ideas everyone!! It will take a little time to get courses like these out. But we are working on them. Good courses take time.

All this said, we are also always looking for great presenters who are also experienced in the engine. If anyone knows someone we should take a look at as a potential instructor (or if you'd like to audition to be one yourself!) hit me up at onlinelearning@epicgames.com and we'll reach out. Use the subject [Potential Author: NAME]

Thanks!

Chris
              Chris Murray

Comment

chrismmurray_EG

How would that work Chris.... Would authors need to be US based / have a particular specialization etc?

Comment

Just don't include the Animation Starter Pack in your new tutorials. Or if you do, don't ever move forward/left or back/right

Comment

Originally posted by ClavosTech View Post
                    chrismmurray_EG

How would that work Chris.... Would authors need to be US based / have a particular specialization etc?
                    Hi Clavos... sorry my response is so late. My notification got buried. Authors can be anywhere. But they need to be able to communicate when and, obviously, know the engine really, really well. You can email me at onlinelearning@epicgames.com, let me know you're interested in being and potential author and I can get you some more info.
                    Chris Murray

Comment

Hey chrismmurray_EG if you can point me to any of the best current / most relevant links for learning animation resources I'd appreciate it.

Here's a search for 'animation' on your Youtube channel, (https://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealD...uery=animation) but wondering if there are any other important ones other than the one Amanda posted earlier in the thread.
                      Last edited by GoLionMk2; 07-12-2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoLionMk2 View Post
                        Hey chrismmurray_EG if you can point me to any of the best current / most relevant links for learning animation resources I'd appreciate it.

Here's a search for 'animation' on your Youtube channel, (https://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealD...uery=animation) but wondering if there are any other important ones other than the one Amanda posted earlier in the thread.
                        We are still working on those. Those are probably the best ones for now.
                        Chris Murray

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Comment

Working...
                          X