Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

Hi All,

You've probably noticed that we've recently begun previewing our forthcoming learning portal. We are in the planning stages for our 2019/2020 courses that will appear there.

Now is the time to tell is what you'd like to see! We want to hear from you on what kind of courses and topics we should be creating and what is important to you!

Please take a few minutes to tell us in this short survey. (@2-3 mins). In the coming months, we will be posting a follow up survey focusing on game dev specifically.

https://uelpcourses.questionpro.com/

Thanks for your time.

Chris

• replied
    Originally posted by chrismmurray_EG View Post

We do have a list. A list of whats in the pipe and what's on deck. As soon as I have a manageable solution for sharing it publicly, I will. I'd like to share with some kind of up-voting system so we can see what's really needed. Stay tuned for that.

But in general, currently in development:

(topics in no order. Titles not completed yet...)

Audio
    Materials
    AAA Game Scene
    VR Dev
    Realtime Mocap
    Revit
    Magic Leap
    C++/Blueprint
    and Sequencer.

This is not a complete list and no ETA's yet. But all those are in some form of development.

Chris
    Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• replied
    chrismmurray_EG those are nice topics, particularly the most useful for what I see mostly asked in the forums and that would catapult the engine usage by miles would be in the following order:

Materials,
    C++/Blueprint,
    AAA Game Scene,
    Sequencer,
    Realtime Mocap,
    Audio,
    VR Dev,
    Magic Leap,
    Revit (this one by last because besides specific, it will benefit from some of the previous topics)

My focus being on film makes the 6 first topics a bit obvious and having a learning path composed of those topics would be great!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by pbdarcey View Post
    Is there a list of upcoming courses somewhere. That would be nice to see what is coming down the pipe.
    We do have a list. A list of whats in the pipe and what's on deck. As soon as I have a manageable solution for sharing it publicly, I will. I'd like to share with some kind of up-voting system so we can see what's really needed. Stay tuned for that.

But in general, currently in development:

(topics in no order. Titles not completed yet...)

Audio
    Materials
    AAA Game Scene
    VR Dev
    Realtime Mocap
    Revit
    Magic Leap
    C++/Blueprint
    and Sequencer.

This is not a complete list and no ETA's yet. But all those are in some form of development.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is there a list of upcoming courses somewhere. That would be nice to see what is coming down the pipe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi!

A Course on Online Multiplayer and Online Services would be highly appreciated.

Matchmaking, leaderboards, listen server / dedicated server, implementing social media login and posting, and so on.
    This is a complex topic with hardly any books and few tutorials. (only 2 udemy courses covering this a bit more in detail)

Since the gaming industry moves from game-as-shipped-product to game-as-continuous-service (there is this one game called Fortnite, maybe you heard of it ),
    and with Epics upcoming online service this would be a natural fit.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
    It would be nice a visual sample (picture or small video) showing what is going to be achieved at the end of the course, helps a lot the audience in not creating false expectations and be sure that course is what is really needed, since topic terms sometimes won't tell better.
    This is good advice and something we could definitely do better. I'll pass this on to the authors.

Thanks,

Chris

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It would be nice a visual sample (picture or small video) showing what is going to be achieved at the end of the course, helps a lot the audience in not creating false expectations and be sure that course is what is really needed, since topic terms sometimes won't tell better.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cgenius View Post
    I know people have mentioned it before but the portal is lacking C++ courses. We need courses for all level and for anything that can be done in C++. I find really hard to get around those super advance rendering courses when I am a developer and I want to master the C++ side of Unreal.
    CGenius, You are right. We are actively working to get some C++ courses in the pipe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DarknessFX View Post
    Is ok to suggest improvements for the current courses?
    Yesterday I finished the Building Better Pipelines (Sam Deiter) and I really missed the project files from that course, only after finish I discover that the project files exists and are available inside the More Information header section (FMX17.zip - hosted at box.com). I think it would be better to also have those project files linked at "Additional References" course section tab.
    Today I'm doing the Exploring Blueprints course, the Interactive Material Swaps Using Blueprints and Blueprint for Enterprise lessons are focused on project files and changing existing blueprints samples, but I cannot find these project files anywhere. For example @0:54s the video ask to navigate to folder "Section1_Content" = https://academy.unrealengine.com/cou...module/5372775 .
    Both courses work as introduction to UE4, I think is really important to have the video lessons in sync with samples files to have a easier and frictionless learning path.
    Thanks
    Darkness, let me look into this. Stay tuned.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post
    I think other talks could be somehow integrated into the learning portal, like the ones from Unreal Fest - many of them are extremely useful. I understand they are not the same though, so I don't believe they should be seamlessly integrated with quizzes, but at least have them displayed in the search results, or a YouTube-style section where you can browse all talks which are approved and sponsored by Epic. This way, in order to find official quality content, we don't have to check separately both the portal and the UnrealEngine channel on YouTube, but we could filter them on a single, global place.
    Hi Kristof, This is a great idea and I we are already looking to see what material from those events are appropriate for the portal. Stay tuned!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    would love to see a learning curve on animation within the sequencer. I hope that soon we will be able to animate a rig right in the sequencer too. thanks for all the great work you have done so far. its been a blast learning unreal

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I realize the survey is down, but a course about the UE4 way of game code structure for new devs to the engine would be amazing. (namely C++)

There are currently several tutorials for piecemealing content, but that often leads to developers trying to stitch things together their own way and fighting the existing systems (from experience with a UE3 game that does exactly that). What I would suggest would be something to walk through creating a minimal, bare-bones game with all of the parts of a full game, pushing a strong focus on the organization and how's of the engine. Overall client management, frontend UI, game class, pawn class, player controller, player input, how these things interact, the best (or intended) ways to utilize them for maximum effect, etc...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I know people have mentioned it before but the portal is lacking C++ courses. We need courses for all level and for anything that can be done in C++. I find really hard to get around those super advance rendering courses when I am a developer and I want to master the C++ side of Unreal.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Multiplayer movement via CMC custom flags as well as root motion tasks in GPAS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X