Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

Hi All,

You've probably noticed that we've recently begun previewing our forthcoming learning portal. We are in the planning stages for our 2019/2020 courses that will appear there.

Now is the time to tell is what you'd like to see! We want to hear from you on what kind of courses and topics we should be creating and what is important to you!

Please take a few minutes to tell us in this short survey. (@2-3 mins). In the coming months, we will be posting a follow up survey focusing on game dev specifically.

https://uelpcourses.questionpro.com/

Thanks for your time.

Chris

• replied
    The HTTP remote control is another example of "great feature but missing basic docs" you describe all the REST like stuff in the doc but if you're not a "web guy" who already knows about this stuff, a sample of how to setup a basic web app/page that does something would be very helpful. Even if all it does is change the color of a light. I'm just not sure how to setup all the web infrastructure to use it so a sample of how to setup a web app/page would help A LOT

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would like to see replication tutorials for multiplayer. that would be amazing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Chris,

A couple more small items...

For doing virtual sets, the video is always delayed a few frames so when you render the CG you need use the tracking data from when the video came in so everything will match up. I'm wondering if there is some global way to delay the tracking data? Right now I'm using vive trackers and WMF capture and there is no timecode. I can't find anything in the docs that shows how to do this (delay all the trackers). Or maybe it doesn't exist yet? If I was using a pro card with timecode, genlock, and frame sync and my motion was coming in through LiveLink, would it automatically sync everything to timecode? Not clear about all of this but making it work is pretty critical. So some docs about how to do this with all types of video, tracker and Livelink would be helpful.

Also the Mixed Reality Capture tool looks interesting, but it would be nice if it had a sample project to go with it. I've had a lot of trouble making it work and once I get a calibration it would be nice to have a simple project to test it with. I'm still not clear on how to setup a project to use it myself.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks Chris, I guess a short version of my ramble is, even if you are doing a complex and really cool thing, please try to do it step-by-step adding one feature at a time instead of just dropping a giant finished version. This makes it much easier for people to pick up how to do things and use individual bits and pieces in their work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Greg.Corson View Post
    Chris,

By basics, I mean start with something simple like building a video/cg composite with a stationary live camera and some CG that animates. Show how to do it with a webcam or inexpensive video capture device instead of a $900 pro card so anyone can try it. Show how to record it with OBS. Then move on into chroma-key and putting a VIVE tracker on the video camera and matching it up with the CG. Then step-by-step add more advanced stuff like shadow catchers, matching the CG lighting with the live, setting up the camera to fix lens distortion, using pro cards/cameras and so on.

If you're an Unreal expert, this may seem like obvious stuff, but even following the docs you have up already, I've hit a lot of little "stoppers" that are probably simple things. When looking for solutions I've seen a lot of people asking the same questions as me...some examples.

* Initially I had some trouble getting the vive tracker attached to a camera or other CG object so it would come up and be active when I started the game.
    * Right now when I run my project in the editor it works, but when I run it as a standalone the trackers stop working.
    * Initially a pawn->motion controller->camera object wouldn't work with composure, I had to make one tracked pawn with a blueprint that copied it's transform to a separate camera object
    * For some reason, both the live video and CG in my composites seem a bit fuzzy right now.
    * Sometimes the video feed or the trackers stop working, I'm assuming the way I'm setting them up isn't quite right so that they will always be recognized.
    * Getting things setup so comp & tracked camera work and I can also control the character on the screen with the keyboard has also been a problem.
    * Trying to record the results using OBS, I have had many issues where, instead of getting the CG window I see unreal editor tooltip pop-ups in OBS instead.

Like I say, a lot of these are probably issues because I'm still fairly new to Unreal, but a lot of people doing Virtual Production are going to be new to Unreal too...they need a kickstart that doesn't assume too much Unreal knowledge to get going. And something that adds features one step at a time is always better than starting with a big monolithic example. In fact, a learning series for Virtual Production might start with an "introduction to unreal" chapter focused on the basics a new user wanting to do Virtual Production needs to know.

The current composure and virtual studio samples on the marketplace are nice, but both are pretty complicated which makes them hard to learn from. The Virtual Studio one is a complex CG setup where it's harder to see what is happening (also it requires pro capture cards to properly use) and it doesn't use Composure. The Composure sample is very nice but also very involved, so if you are trying to learn the basics it's a bit like skipping right to chapter 13 of a textbook.

I've already posted some of the test work I've done, but I'm not sure that I'm really doing some stuff "the right way" because it doesn't work right all the time. So right now my stuff may not be the best examples, I'm trying to improve them.

I could see a lot of YouTubers using Unreal to produce fun videos, but they need some better docs and basic template projects to help them get started.

My current experiments (nothing to brag about yet) are here https://www.youtube.com/user/GregCorson and include a link to the Unreal project so you can see how I am doing it (probably wrong ;-)

Greg
    This is great input. I'll take this to the team and see how this aligns with what we are already making.

Thanks,

Chris

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Chris,

By basics, I mean start with something simple like building a video/cg composite with a stationary live camera and some CG that animates. Show how to do it with a webcam or inexpensive video capture device instead of a $900 pro card so anyone can try it. Show how to record it with OBS. Then move on into chroma-key and putting a VIVE tracker on the video camera and matching it up with the CG. Then step-by-step add more advanced stuff like shadow catchers, matching the CG lighting with the live, setting up the camera to fix lens distortion, using pro cards/cameras and so on.

If you're an Unreal expert, this may seem like obvious stuff, but even following the docs you have up already, I've hit a lot of little "stoppers" that are probably simple things. When looking for solutions I've seen a lot of people asking the same questions as me...some examples.

* Initially I had some trouble getting the vive tracker attached to a camera or other CG object so it would come up and be active when I started the game.
    * Right now when I run my project in the editor it works, but when I run it as a standalone the trackers stop working.
    * Initially a pawn->motion controller->camera object wouldn't work with composure, I had to make one tracked pawn with a blueprint that copied it's transform to a separate camera object
    * For some reason, both the live video and CG in my composites seem a bit fuzzy right now.
    * Sometimes the video feed or the trackers stop working, I'm assuming the way I'm setting them up isn't quite right so that they will always be recognized.
    * Getting things setup so comp & tracked camera work and I can also control the character on the screen with the keyboard has also been a problem.
    * Trying to record the results using OBS, I have had many issues where, instead of getting the CG window I see unreal editor tooltip pop-ups in OBS instead.

Like I say, a lot of these are probably issues because I'm still fairly new to Unreal, but a lot of people doing Virtual Production are going to be new to Unreal too...they need a kickstart that doesn't assume too much Unreal knowledge to get going. And something that adds features one step at a time is always better than starting with a big monolithic example. In fact, a learning series for Virtual Production might start with an "introduction to unreal" chapter focused on the basics a new user wanting to do Virtual Production needs to know.

The current composure and virtual studio samples on the marketplace are nice, but both are pretty complicated which makes them hard to learn from. The Virtual Studio one is a complex CG setup where it's harder to see what is happening (also it requires pro capture cards to properly use) and it doesn't use Composure. The Composure sample is very nice but also very involved, so if you are trying to learn the basics it's a bit like skipping right to chapter 13 of a textbook.

I've already posted some of the test work I've done, but I'm not sure that I'm really doing some stuff "the right way" because it doesn't work right all the time. So right now my stuff may not be the best examples, I'm trying to improve them.

I could see a lot of YouTubers using Unreal to produce fun videos, but they need some better docs and basic template projects to help them get started.

My current experiments (nothing to brag about yet) are here https://www.youtube.com/user/GregCorson and include a link to the Unreal project so you can see how I am doing it (probably wrong ;-)

Greg

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Greg.Corson View Post

And be sure to start from the basics.
    Greg,

Can you tell me, in this context, what you consider the basics?

Chris

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would like to see more material related to Virtual Production. A lot of the stuff out there is sort of "jump in at the deep end of the pool" material. It would be really nice to see some material that started out basic, such as using a simple webcam with vive tracker to composite with CG, and then work your way up to more complicated setups, matching of lighting, shadowcasting and pro equipment from there. You've made Virtual Production very accessible to all levels from beginner up to pro movie/TV...but what you lack is showing us how to use it. As someone who's tried to get some basic stuff running, I can tell you it hasn't been easy, some more documentation/samples would go a long way.

And be sure to start from the basics.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would like to see a focus on better stories. I looked at the award winners. They were all dark, negative stories. What are we doing with our games? Where is it leading us? I remember the Star Trek series, especially the Next Generation. There were great stories in that series. There doesn't seem to be any focus on inspirational, uplifting storylines to current games. This is not a good thing. There needs to be another level of creativity and the Unreal Engine team is the group that could lead us into a new era in games. Technology is for the service to humanity. It is neutral and can be use for good, or not. I would like the team to research how the next era of games could have more creative, innovative, and uplifting storylines.

It's too lazy, too easy, just to keep blowing things up and killing people. Creating things of beauty is much harder. Where is the deep philosophy that was captured in the ancient tales and mythology, the hero's journey, which was alway an inner journey of awakening. All the greatest literature had storylines of awakening to higher purposes and wisdom. Where could the inspiration take us if we focus on the next level of inspiration, beauty, and uplifting storylines that have a deep positive message about them?

To be sure, it will be more challenging than the current game scenarios. Much better writers will be needed to craft stories filled with wisdom and inner meaning. Build on stories of overcoming hatred and violence within ourselves and finding the beauty of inner awakening. Stories like the stories of the Buddha, or any of the great ancient cultures. Much research will be needed. Envision the culture a thousand years from now when we have overcome all our violence, hatred, and depravity. People with great wisdom and insight will be needed. Find those people. Launch new games that bring people together in wisdom and in heart. This is the next possibility for games for this century that can take us to a higher level of humanity.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nagoshi View Post
    chrismmurray_EG

Not so much a content suggestion, but could a notes system be considered for implementation? I've been spoiled by Pluralsight and find it to be very helpful:

Thanks Noagoshi, I'll let our product team know. I've seen things like this before.They are for sure cool.

C

Leave a comment:

• replied
    chrismmurray_EG

Not so much a content suggestion, but could a notes system be considered for implementation? I've been spoiled by Pluralsight and find it to be very helpful:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would love to see more of the Dialogue voices and waves, at the moment there's only this documentation https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...gue/index.html It would be awesome if you guys can share how you implemented the system on Paragon, you could show best practices for branching dialogue and even how to localice your content.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by chrismmurray_EG View Post

We do have a list. A list of whats in the pipe and what's on deck. As soon as I have a manageable solution for sharing it publicly, I will. I'd like to share with some kind of up-voting system so we can see what's really needed. Stay tuned for that.

But in general, currently in development:

(topics in no order. Titles not completed yet...)

Audio
    Materials
    AAA Game Scene
    VR Dev
    Realtime Mocap
    Revit
    Magic Leap
    C++/Blueprint
    and Sequencer.

This is not a complete list and no ETA's yet. But all those are in some form of development.

Chris
    Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• replied
    chrismmurray_EG those are nice topics, particularly the most useful for what I see mostly asked in the forums and that would catapult the engine usage by miles would be in the following order:

Materials,
    C++/Blueprint,
    AAA Game Scene,
    Sequencer,
    Realtime Mocap,
    Audio,
    VR Dev,
    Magic Leap,
    Revit (this one by last because besides specific, it will benefit from some of the previous topics)

My focus being on film makes the 6 first topics a bit obvious and having a learning path composed of those topics would be great!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X