Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Chris,

A couple more small items...

For doing virtual sets, the video is always delayed a few frames so when you render the CG you need use the tracking data from when the video came in so everything will match up. I'm wondering if there is some global way to delay the tracking data? Right now I'm using vive trackers and WMF capture and there is no timecode. I can't find anything in the docs that shows how to do this (delay all the trackers). Or maybe it doesn't exist yet? If I was using a pro card with timecode, genlock, and frame sync and my motion was coming in through LiveLink, would it automatically sync everything to timecode? Not clear about all of this but making it work is pretty critical. So some docs about how to do this with all types of video, tracker and Livelink would be helpful.

Also the Mixed Reality Capture tool looks interesting, but it would be nice if it had a sample project to go with it. I've had a lot of trouble making it work and once I get a calibration it would be nice to have a simple project to test it with. I'm still not clear on how to setup a project to use it myself.

Comment

I would like to see replication tutorials for multiplayer. that would be amazing.
      Matt Walton: Programmer and owner for WireLiteSoft Games.

Comment

The HTTP remote control is another example of "great feature but missing basic docs" you describe all the REST like stuff in the doc but if you're not a "web guy" who already knows about this stuff, a sample of how to setup a basic web app/page that does something would be very helpful. Even if all it does is change the color of a light. I'm just not sure how to setup all the web infrastructure to use it so a sample of how to setup a web app/page would help A LOT

Comment

• Ro-Su- commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! We're working on a sample app that we intend to distribute with upcoming releases. We considered in the meantime providing a bare-bones HTML page with JS that submits and handles a request. But we struggled with how to make it short and simple enough for a non-"web guy" to understand without showing bad web development practices.

Even showing a sample with bad practices is better than nothing, particularly when a more complete sample is coming. Right now I'm just not sure where to even start.

Comment

Hi Folks, these are all great comments. Some are support questions though... so I'll pass those on to others. Greg, feel free to message me directly at onlinelearning @ Epicgames.com

C
          Chris Murray
          Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
          Twitter: @chrismmurray
          LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

Comment

I'm a beginner in Unreal Engine, and in creating games. However, I'm not a beginner in games, and have learned quite a bit of the basics over the last week or two. A beginning concepts tutorial, with in-engine demos would be practical. I'm capable of guessing at and remotely comprehending occlusion, realtime vs. runtime, shadow / texture maps, dynamic vs. static lighting, and other important concepts. But I'm often at a loss as to where I start learning that information more succinctly and efficiently than having to search through the docs to obtain bits and pieces of how and what the functional meanings of those terms / concepts are. So a module or set of tutorials defining, explaining to an extent, and demo'ing those is a good initial point of learning, I think.

A few more that appear to be missing or absent, at least from the Launcher tutorial list:

How to create particle effects from scratch, or without a pre-made effects object
            How to render for various screen resolutions efficiently and qualitatively
            Using the details panel to modify objects / actors in groups and according to scale (such as modifying a texture so it appears proportional to the object and game's world)

Since I'm a beginner, I'm mostly requesting beginner / amateur level tutorials. I've read lots of material in the docs about some of the basics and main concepts involved in game design and the Unreal Engine, with lots to go. But that reading only goes so far, so interactive tutorials or at least tutorials with less of a focus on video narration, and more emphasis on succinct instructions and definitions / explanation or demonstration are an effective help to transition from beginner to advanced. Thanks.

Organizing the tutorials in the Learn portal, via the Launcher, is a great idea too. Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced is all that's necessary. The tutorials are currently not in any order according to experience / learning level, and having an identifier for those 3 levels would be helpful. Change the in-engine tutorials (flashing green grad cap in upper right corner of editor) so it doesn't disappear after going through the tutorial. I don't know how to get back to those tutorials, and they'd be excellent reference points while beginning. One last suggestion: perhaps offering links to tutorials in the ContentExamples project levels would increase speed of learning and access to assets and files that are used in those linked tutorials. Even simply YouTube videos, or any other tutorials, whether video or readable instructions, are sufficient. Identifying what level of learning they're at is pertinent to those as well. And if a tutorial isn't exclusively a beginner tutorial, but has intermediate aspects, then it could be labeled / identified beginner-intermediate.
            Last edited by preston42382; 10-31-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Beginning landscape / terrain tutorials
              What the various blueprint nodes do in different contexts (multiply node combines two other nodes in Material Editor, but what does it do in other contexts?)
              Creating normal maps for basic textures and meshes
              How to optimize in-engine speed of rendering and previewing
              How to get staff to be more active in the forums (haha)
              Developing an outline for designing a game that is useful in Unreal Engine workflow

Comment

I would REALLY like to see a good breakdown / tutorial on how to add wounds and bullet holes to enemies.
                This is a very common system people expect in shooter games But there is a dire lack on info on how to do it in UE4 .
                Something Either using render targets or alpha masks and displacement maps.
                I have been trying to pull this off for a while and found very little on the subject, and zero examples

So please could you do a live stream explaining the best / most efficient methods to pull this off
                Last edited by AlphaWolF; 11-14-2019, 08:22 AM.
                Artstation

Comment

Thanks for all these Ideas... we are reading them and adding them to our wish list of courses.

Chris
                  Chris Murray
                  Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
                  Twitter: @chrismmurray
                  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

Comment

Working...
                  X