Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What content would you like to see on the learning portal?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think other talks could be somehow integrated into the learning portal, like the ones from Unreal Fest - many of them are extremely useful. I understand they are not the same though, so I don't believe they should be seamlessly integrated with quizzes, but at least have them displayed in the search results, or a YouTube-style section where you can browse all talks which are approved and sponsored by Epic. This way, in order to find official quality content, we don't have to check separately both the portal and the UnrealEngine channel on YouTube, but we could filter them on a single, global place.
    LinkedIn, Engine Contributions
    Polars (WIP), Game Jam Projects
    Marketplace: Viewport Utilities, Blueprint Streams, Control Structures

Comment

I absolutely want to see more C++ tutorials. Someone mentioned "Engine Familiarization" and that would be nice. It's annoying to constatly troll through all the engine's API and get only the most vague answers. Atleast a code example in each would be nice. Also, PUT THE INCLUDE path at the top of each page! More often than not that's the only thing I'm after and scrolling all the way to the bottom is annoying. It'll save a few moments but it'll add up. (and update your already existing C++ tutorials)

Comment

A lot was mentioned, I could just wrap around. We need advanced courses. Really godlike level of expertise. I watched around 50 videos this week for the first time ever and found only couple of them worth. This is sad even for a 'free content' (I understand nobody gonna teach some random dudes just for fun, but maybe, I hope and believe).
        Available for contract hiring! Complex mechanics, quick game prototyping, VR, AI, Animation, Tools for designers.

Check out my latest game! Last Joy - 2D RPG with unique combat system.

Comment

^^ THIS ^^ is definitely worth repeating in my view, as Epic seem to have a blind spot... Their instincts are to put out intro / basic or limited intermediate-tutorials, and then go from there. But where is the value in that??? Any joe-the-fortnite-streamer can create similar tutorials on YouTube (faster than Epic can curate their own content). Instead Epic should focus on making tutorials 'joe can't make', including more advanced topics within the engine aimed at gameplay / archviz / enterprise, and then work backwards from there to the simpler parts (if time allows)....

Overall, for a corporation like Epic, its just too easy to get distracted by 'shinny things', and not actually go back and finish tutorial-sets that were promised long ago... By adding Advanced-Tutorials: from Multiplayer to AI to Characters-Anims to C++ etc, and KEEPING those updated regularly so that they don't become stale, Epic could offer the very best learning resources. Without this, the only real path left is for devs to deep dive into the source. But that shouldn't be the only plan-b option, especially for those who want to focus on gameplay - not game engine design.
          Last edited by ClavosTech; 06-25-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

This is not content related rather functionality related. In the browser, it would be helpful to have a "cinema" mode" like many other tutorial/learning websites. Currently, only fullscreen mode is available which does not help if one has a widescreen monitor and would like to watch tutorials on one part of the screen and have the engine running in the other half. Also, watching the movies on an ipad is very challenging as they do not properly resize and it is a hassle to get to the "fullscreen" button at the bottom right-hand corner of the window.

Comment

Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post
              I think other talks could be somehow integrated into the learning portal, like the ones from Unreal Fest - many of them are extremely useful. I understand they are not the same though, so I don't believe they should be seamlessly integrated with quizzes, but at least have them displayed in the search results, or a YouTube-style section where you can browse all talks which are approved and sponsored by Epic. This way, in order to find official quality content, we don't have to check separately both the portal and the UnrealEngine channel on YouTube, but we could filter them on a single, global place.
              Cannot agree more. It would be great to have everything (learning wise) in one place. Right now we have to jump between YouTube and official website all the time. It's not so bad because you are already creating playlists on YouTube so it's organized pretty good but I think live trainings should be included in Unreal Engine Academy too (with specific category).

Comment

Is ok to suggest improvements for the current courses?
                Yesterday I finished the Building Better Pipelines (Sam Deiter) and I really missed the project files from that course, only after finish I discover that the project files exists and are available inside the More Information header section (FMX17.zip - hosted at box.com). I think it would be better to also have those project files linked at "Additional References" course section tab.
                Today I'm doing the Exploring Blueprints course, the Interactive Material Swaps Using Blueprints and Blueprint for Enterprise lessons are focused on project files and changing existing blueprints samples, but I cannot find these project files anywhere. For example @0:54s the video ask to navigate to folder "Section1_Content" = https://academy.unrealengine.com/cou...module/5372775 .
                Both courses work as introduction to UE4, I think is really important to have the video lessons in sync with samples files to have a easier and frictionless learning path.
                Thanks

Comment

Multiplayer movement via CMC custom flags as well as root motion tasks in GPAS.

Comment

I know people have mentioned it before but the portal is lacking C++ courses. We need courses for all level and for anything that can be done in C++. I find really hard to get around those super advance rendering courses when I am a developer and I want to master the C++ side of Unreal.

Comment

I realize the survey is down, but a course about the UE4 way of game code structure for new devs to the engine would be amazing. (namely C++)

There are currently several tutorials for piecemealing content, but that often leads to developers trying to stitch things together their own way and fighting the existing systems (from experience with a UE3 game that does exactly that). What I would suggest would be something to walk through creating a minimal, bare-bones game with all of the parts of a full game, pushing a strong focus on the organization and how's of the engine. Overall client management, frontend UI, game class, pawn class, player controller, player input, how these things interact, the best (or intended) ways to utilize them for maximum effect, etc...

Comment

would love to see a learning curve on animation within the sequencer. I hope that soon we will be able to animate a rig right in the sequencer too. thanks for all the great work you have done so far. its been a blast learning unreal

Comment

Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post
                          Hi Kristof, This is a great idea and I we are already looking to see what material from those events are appropriate for the portal. Stay tuned!
                          Chris Murray
                          Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
                          Twitter: @chrismmurray
                          LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

Comment

Originally posted by DarknessFX View Post
                            Is ok to suggest improvements for the current courses?
                            Yesterday I finished the Building Better Pipelines (Sam Deiter) and I really missed the project files from that course, only after finish I discover that the project files exists and are available inside the More Information header section (FMX17.zip - hosted at box.com). I think it would be better to also have those project files linked at "Additional References" course section tab.
                            Today I'm doing the Exploring Blueprints course, the Interactive Material Swaps Using Blueprints and Blueprint for Enterprise lessons are focused on project files and changing existing blueprints samples, but I cannot find these project files anywhere. For example @0:54s the video ask to navigate to folder "Section1_Content" = https://academy.unrealengine.com/cou...module/5372775 .
                            Both courses work as introduction to UE4, I think is really important to have the video lessons in sync with samples files to have a easier and frictionless learning path.
                            Thanks
                            Darkness, let me look into this. Stay tuned.

Chris
                            Chris Murray

Comment

Originally posted by cgenius View Post
                              I know people have mentioned it before but the portal is lacking C++ courses. We need courses for all level and for anything that can be done in C++. I find really hard to get around those super advance rendering courses when I am a developer and I want to master the C++ side of Unreal.
                              CGenius, You are right. We are actively working to get some C++ courses in the pipe.
                              Chris Murray

Comment

It would be nice a visual sample (picture or small video) showing what is going to be achieved at the end of the course, helps a lot the audience in not creating false expectations and be sure that course is what is really needed, since topic terms sometimes won't tell better.
                                Nilson Lima
                                Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                                Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                                supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X